Live to the world.. :)
Attachments
distrowatch--111025.png
(153.97 KiB) Downloaded 4005 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

p310don

#17 Post by p310don »

Torrent for download...

Unzip and open with Transmission, or similar bit torrent downloader.

Note: zip and tar.gz have the same file inside
Attachments
slacko-5.3.1-SCSI-PAE_HIGHMEM-ALT.zip
(36.01 KiB) Downloaded 2006 times
slacko-5.3.1-SCSI-MAIN.zip
(40.47 KiB) Downloaded 3326 times
slacko-5.3-SCSI-PAE_HIGHMEM-ALT.iso.zip
(35.88 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
slacko-5.3-MAIN.iso.zip
(39.78 KiB) Downloaded 817 times
slacko-5.3-MAIN.iso.torrent.tar.gz
(39.8 KiB) Downloaded 961 times
slacko-5.3-SCSI-PAE_HIGHMEM-ALT.iso.torrent.tar.gz
(35.82 KiB) Downloaded 855 times
Last edited by p310don on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 12:52, edited 3 times in total.

2byte

#18 Post by 2byte »

Which kernel is in slacko-5.3-SCSI-PAE_HIGHMEM-ALT.iso?
Is it also 2.6.37.6 or a different one?

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

Flashplayer 10.2.151.49.pet:
Remote file does not exist - broken link!!!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#20 Post by Lobster »

Slacko announcements continue . . .

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 66512.html
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

caieng

why vlc in Slacko

#21 Post by caieng »

p310don wrote: What's wrong with MPlayer? Does it not work for you? What do you want with VLC specifically?
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... cpu-17682/

I have developed a test to compare various Linux distros with XP, and that test employs VLC. VlC is to all other streaming audio players, as Polio vaccine is to "eye of newt and toe of frog".
You mention there you don't like Ubuntu
Apologies for writing so obscurely.

On the contrary, I don't dislike Ubuntu, in fact, I think that the Ubuntu installer is the best in the business.

However, Ubuntu does not offer me, uniquely, the excellent video resolution, which, in my experience, only XP and Puppy afford (1280 x 1024, out of the box, without fiddling.)

In years gone by, PCLinuxOS offered the wonderful Mandrake Control Center, which ALSO gave me the ability to effortlessly change my video resolution, but alas, that capability has disappeared in newer versions, along with low prices and phonograph records.

Thanks for the advice re: VLC in Slacko, I will commence the download, now.

I would profit, though, from someone outlining in just a sentence or two, why Slacko is superior to either plain vanilla Puppy, or Slackware itself.

If I succeed, finally, in obtaining a puppy with VLC, then I will be able to offer some data to respond to my own question!

CAI ENG

darkcity

#22 Post by darkcity »

It might be worth testing Pussy Puppy as well - it may be a better performer. Also, there is GuyDog ; -)

Sage

#23 Post by Sage »

Five boards tested so far including an Armada; only an old Soltek A1600+ ATI came up with Xorg, sound (inc. woofwoof), Flashplayer and all the other variables working at first ask! One, a PIII/833 refused to run an RTL8139C that had just worked on an older i633 board, but that one had serious sound and video issues. The others showed at least one of the previously reported 'features'. One more tomorrow - an unusual 939...

Installing Slackware may take hours and end up with LILO, but never had a moments lost sleep with it. Does it still run 386?!

caieng

#24 Post by caieng »

Thank you, very much dark city.

I did not realize that this distro existed. Perhaps the name is a bit off-putting.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 32&t=69475

Yes, I am an enthusiastic supporter of the Debian "synaptic" program. Really works well, in my experience. I prefer it to all others.

I suspect that this "pussy" will turn out to be a big success....
If you will follow my advice, you will jettison all the wretched audio players, associated with traditional Puppy installs (BK is tone deaf) and stick with VLC. Remember, cats, especially the wild panthers, are very clean animals. Dogs are notorious slobs, but not felines. Spif it up, go Mercedes, put in the top audio player, and watch the ratings climb.

My slacko has finished downloading, so, I am off to try and install it. I will be keen to learn if it offers Lilo, instead of Grub. I have always been a fan of Patrick Volkerding, and his Lilo program.

CAI ENG

jim3630

#25 Post by jim3630 »

Slacko Puppy 5.3
Slacko Puppy Linux 5.3 is a child, or better a pup, of Barry Kauler's Woof build system. It has binary compatibility with Slackware-13.37, which simply means that it is a Puppy built with packages from the Slackware, Salix and Slacky repositories.

The main version has kernel 2.6.37.6 compiled with Aufs, layered file system support, in the typical Puppy manner.
Some new features of Slacko are a rebuilt gtkdialog, a program which allows bash scripts to run in GUI. A showcase of this is Pmusic and Pequalizer, tiny apps to organise and play your music collection and more.

Slacko Puppy introduces Frisbee Network Manager to connect wirelessly, familiar to Puppeee users. It utilises the WPA_supplicant daemon and is great for laptops and people on the move. There is also Simple Network Setup and Network Wizard to offer choice.

The Seamonkey suite is the default browser and email suite but Firefox Aurora, Chromium, Opera, Netsurf, Dillo and Links are only a few clicks away.
Slickpet is a cut down version of Quickpet to get a few handy apps without diving into the well stocked Puppy Package manager. While on the Puppy Package Manager, apart from Puppy's native PET package format it can also fetch Slackware, Salix and Slacky packages in tgz or txz format.

Puppy's sfs format is supported by a program called sfs_load. Sfs are a way to load layered filesystems so that the filesystems can be unioned and act as one. Read more.
Slacko has Abiword and Gnumeric, latest versions to open those documents and spreadsheets to keep you working.

Lots of types of multimedia are supported so you can play hard.

Slacko is aimed at reasonably modern machines up to six or seven years old. It may run on even older hardware. There is also a later kernel compiled with PAE HighMem support, for machines with up to 64G RAM. This is recommended for the latest machines, less than a year or two old.

Slacko Puppy 5.3 offers something for everyone, whether for work or play, all in under 125 megabytes!
Time to get Slacko!.........http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ko-5.3.htm

-----
just have to open your eyes to see. slacko does rock!

DaveS

#26 Post by DaveS »

caieng wrote:
DaveS wrote:Great job everybody. Slacko ROCKS
Appreciate your comment, Dave.

"ROCKS", unfortunately, for me, conveys no useful information.
Bite me!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

caieng

two steps backward, none forward...

#27 Post by caieng »

Bite me!
No, I was the one bitten, here.

I did download Slacko, but, unfortunately, the ONE TRUE advantage of Puppy Linux, compared with all other distros, has disappeared with this version.

Alas, I cannot achieve 1280 x 1024, reduced to only 800 x 600.

This is in sharp contrast with the Puppy from ten days ago, Wary 5.2, which gave EXCELLENT video display, on the same computer.

So, with comments like these, I do not anticipate a glowing reception for this distro.

Further, to my chagrin, the same old Grub was invoked, not the far more elegant Slackware Lilo.

I have seen enough. Once bitten, twice shy.

CAI ENG

8-bit

#28 Post by 8-bit »

Had you tried editing xorg.conf and adding a line of your preferred resolution?
I seem to recall that I read that on the forum as a way to get the resolution you want when a lower resolution is being used by the xorgwizard and not showing the one you want.

jim3630

#29 Post by jim3630 »

3 year member with 26 posts, no mention of what he did on his "install" and crying sounds like a straw man to bait with.

frugal install 5.3+pae to ext4 on dual core p6100 hp

darn it doesn't work on commodore64.
Attachments
slacko5.3-pae-reboot.after.install.png
(5.24 KiB) Downloaded 3671 times
slacko5.3res.png
(14.52 KiB) Downloaded 3764 times

8-bit

#30 Post by 8-bit »

It wont work on my Timex Sinclair 1000 either.
I guess 2 kilobytes of memory is not enough. :lol: :lol:

DaveS

#31 Post by DaveS »

Just installed PAE version. No problems. It feels like video performance is better. Any reason that might be so or just my imagination?
1 GIG ram only.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

carolus

Where is the menu in slacko? Where are the system tools?

#32 Post by carolus »

In slacko, I can't find the equivalent of the left lower corner button in lupu or wary. Where would I find gparted, for example? I'm running slacko in virtualbox, but that works OK with lupu and wary.

DaveS

Re: Where is the menu in slacko? Where are the system tools?

#33 Post by DaveS »

carolus wrote:In slacko, I can't find the equivalent of the left lower corner button in lupu or wary. Where would I find gparted, for example? I'm running slacko in virtualbox, but that works OK with lupu and wary.
Carolus... right click on the desktop. Does the menu pop up?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

caieng

#34 Post by caieng »

8bit wrote:Had you tried editing xorg.conf and adding a line of your preferred resolution?
I seem to recall that I read that on the forum as a way to get the resolution you want when a lower resolution is being used by the xorgwizard and not showing the one you want.
Hi 8-bit.

Thanks, sure, it is not terribly difficult to fiddle around with xorg. I have done it, previously.

I am disinclined to play around, at present, though, because, if there is any benefit to my post here, today, it is this:

SOMETHING has changed, for the worse, during the past month!!!

The Puppy distro, from one month ago, Wary 5.2 gives PERFECT resolution, this new version crashes. I spent an hour, rebooting, "tweaking", changing drivers, etc, all for naught.

Something is wrong. I don't know what. I just know that this "Slacko" isn't going to cut it. Not for the older hardware. Probably works great on newer stuff, I don't know. But, unlike 5.2 Wary, this version FAILS.
jim3630 wrote: no mention of what he did on his "install" and crying sounds like a straw man to bait with.
sigh...

Sounds to me like maybe there is a problem with this version of Puppy Linux. Here's a radical idea: how about, instead of criticizing the messenger, you go find an old machine, and test the software, yourself.

There are no straw men, here. No baits. No crying. Just facts. The newest version of Puppy, Slacko, is a failure. Wary 5.2 works fine.

CAI ENG
Last edited by caieng on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

Bert

Re: Where is the menu in slacko? Where are the system tools?

#35 Post by Bert »

carolus wrote:In slacko, I can't find the equivalent of the left lower corner button in lupu or wary. Where would I find gparted, for example? I'm running slacko in virtualbox, but that works OK with lupu and wary.
carolus, That looks like a resolution problem. I had the same problem, but to the right side of the screen, not seeing the clock, etc at bottom, nor the minimize/maximise buttons at the upper right corner.

All that was solved by playing a bit with Xorg to find a working resolution. I should also add I needed to ask the monitor to do an auto-adjust after each change.

So, no worries, the menu button is there ;)
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]