Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 Released

News, happenings
bignono1

#166 Post by bignono1 »

Go grub4dos Sage.

01micko

#167 Post by 01micko »

Sage wrote:When installing Legacy GRUB, message 'This is not Linux' appears at first ask. Go 'OK'. Second attempt - no failure message, but GRUB not installed. Third attempt, failure message again, fourth attempt, no failure message, long delay, GRUB directory filled with 'stage' files but no menu.lst.
Phenomenon is reproducible, different systems, usual start-up precautions, etc.
Uh! That grubconfig script is absolutely horrible! It appears by design that it is only intended to run from a live cd, no save file.

EDIT: ok Sage, I patched and tested, working here with a save file, I didn't test live, nothing in code suggests it wont work live, but you cant install grub files to ntfs|FAT|DOS. (it's still a mess!)

Code: Select all

cp /usr/sbin/grubconfig /usr/sbin/grubconfig.bak #makes backup
gunzip grubconfig.gz
chmod 755 grubconfig
mv -f grubconfig /usr/sbin 
overwrites old one
Attachments
grubconfig.gz
(12.43 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sage

#168 Post by Sage »

Go grub4dos
- already did that, but don't like it as much as Legacy!

Many thanks, mick. I was running liveCD as pfix=ram and installing to HD. Maybe not BK-approved but works with every other Puppy! Only other GRUB that gave grief was GRUB2 on one of the variants a year or so ago.

Incidentally, Jemimah was talking of deleting FD format - I objected. Used it from Slacko three times this morning to prepare special FDs to flash 'dead' BIOS es. Sometimes nothing else will do. The boards that needed this were gifts. That means that they were replaced at some cost when it's not necessary. They were destined for landfill if I hadn't expressed interest. That is unacceptable. It's not LHC science. If I can do it, it's a walk around the collider for guys here with their impressive skills.

don570

#169 Post by don570 »

Note to 01micko

Dmitri (the developer of mtpaint) and I give some advice about how
to set up a default folder to save a screenshot image

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 806#583806

I made a pet package with the code inside

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 96d14cfa99

It wouldn't be difficult to make the changes to mtpaintsnapshot.sh

01micko

#170 Post by 01micko »

8-bit wrote:When I saw that dependency, I just made a system link to libpcre.so.0.0.1. I think I got that name right. but that did get me further.
I also installed mesa, but when I would run the nvidia-settings app, it said it could not find SDL to querry for what was installed.
So I may have to revert to Lupu and give it another try.
Anyway.. I have compiz "running".. that is, it registers as a process and I have a desktop.. but, no plugins will load.. so no emerald, no cpp, no nuthin! :( .. I compiled the lot from scratch including some deps. (metacity is one but it only needs the headers :oops: , might upload a package of that one day and maybe ttuuxxx can tweak it, he knows all about metacity).

Anyway, it's a start and this is with a radeon card and fglrx driver, somethoing I could never get to work in lupu. Had better luck with nvidia, I may even plug in my nvidia card, actually I will, but I'll see if I can get the plugins loading first.

jpeps

#171 Post by jpeps »

01micko wrote:
Anyway, it's a start and this is with a radeon card and fglrx driver, somethoing I could never get to work in lupu. Had better luck with nvidia, I may even plug in my nvidia card, actually I will, but I'll see if I can get the plugins loading first.
...and then you'll ready be for some coaching from NixiPixel.. This could be a life-changer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGY9cwSjZsU

8-bit

#172 Post by 8-bit »

IN my previous post, I said SDL and that was wrong. I had installed the factory NVIDIA driver for my card and when I would open nvidia-settings, and clicked on the Open GL/GLX information, I got a message of it not being able to query Open GL.
In Lupu, it finds it fine.
So I must be missing something there. Also, with the Nvidia card, do I need mesa?
It is touted as being for other cards.

I would really like to try what you have so far and see if I can get any further.
Since I was able to get compiz and the fancy graphics on Puppy 301, and it was based on slackware, it just seems that it should also work with Slacko.

Also, I do not know if this would make any difference, but on the Nvidia site, there was information that stated that Nvidia was going to start including Open GL in their drivers.
I did try downloading the driver pointed to for it, but I never checked to see if my card was supported by it and I already had installed a factory driver for my card. But in Slacko as I said, no OpenGL was found to query.

So why does Nvidia find it in Lupu?
Mysteries that need answers that are beyond me at present.

01micko

#173 Post by 01micko »

8-bit

Compiz is confirmed working :)

I have had it working for days but I could not for life nor money get Emerald ( :!: ) to work.. then I stumbled upon a post from some Joe Noone that had an entry like this (see code) affecting his path:

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
That was the key. I commented that in /etc/profile, rebooted and voila! Emerald works! (Yes lobster, Emerald has been a bit of an achilles heel for me!)

So, to get it working, you need the python_plus pkg I made in slacko repo, plus a bunch from slackware/salix/slacky.. I'll get to a full rundown on Monday.. but I am so happy it works! :D

You don't even need xfce, it will work using a dummy wm. (I use "rxvt" like dinky did in Ripple). Xfce does work fine with it too, probably Trinity as well, about to test. EDIT: yep, Trinity works fine too.

Cheers!

PS: don't use the Lupu compiz! GTK/GDK is totally different and likely will crash X.

EDIT: Working on my old Radeon graphics Thinkpad 8)

ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
..and that's just with Mesa and the open source radeon xorg driver. (as in screeny)
Attachments
compiz_old_radeon.png
note that I called fbpanel so I'd have a menu, WM is Emerald
(159.39 KiB) Downloaded 1821 times

jpeps

#174 Post by jpeps »

Here a compile of ffmpeg-0.9, which requires updated libx264...which in term requires updated mplayer.

http://jpeters.net/apps/libx264-120.pet
http://jpeters.net/apps/mplayer-SVN-r34448.pet
http://jpeters.net/apps/ffmpeg-0.9.pet

ffmpeg configuration (same as present): --prefix=/usr --cpu=i686 --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libx264 --enable-libfaac --enable-pthreads --enable-small --enable-postproc --enable-libvorbis --enable-gpl --enable-shared --enable-nonfree --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --disable-debug --enable-bzlib --enable-zlib --enable-libspeex --enable-version3 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libtheora --enable-libxvid --enable-swscale --enable-libvpx

01micko

#175 Post by 01micko »

Hi jpeps

Surprising it didn't complain about vpx too (wanting an updated version).

I'll check it out. Thanks :)

jpeps

#176 Post by jpeps »

01micko wrote:Hi jpeps

Surprising it didn't complain about vpx too (wanting an updated version).

I'll check it out. Thanks :)
It's got libvpx-720p.ffpreset, so it works. Tested with a UTube video, "bali.vid" , encoding WebM video:

# ffmpeg -i bali.vid -s 1280x720 -vpre libvpx-720p -b 3900k -pass 1 \

-an -f webm -y output.webm

# ffmpeg -i bali.vid -s 1280x720 -vpre libvpx-720p -b 3900k -pass 2 \

-acodec libvorbis -ab 100k -f webm -y output.webm

JegasLLC

Congrats on this Distro...

#177 Post by JegasLLC »

I inspire to roll a puplet - and I'm sure it will take eons before mine is sweet like this one.

Great job!

shinobar

NVIDIA driver for Slacko

#178 Post by shinobar »

8-bit wrote:IN my previous post, I said SDL and that was wrong. I had installed the factory NVIDIA driver for my card and when I would open nvidia-settings, and clicked on the Open GL/GLX information, I got a message of it not being able to query Open GL.
In Lupu, it finds it fine.
So I must be missing something there. Also, with the Nvidia card, do I need mesa?
Needed mesa, OpenGL, and the SDL also to be replaced the one complied with openGL support.
I made nvidia-glx-sdl-290.10-slacko.sfs which contains glx, OpenGL and SDL.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

gerry

#179 Post by gerry »

Running Slacko 531 on Thinkpad T60p. Xorg selects vesa at startup, so I installed the Meta driver pet. BUT I need to run the Xorg Wizard to change to using the new driver instead of vesa, and when I try to do that the text is enormous, lines wrap round, the keys are nowhere to be found among all the clutter, the up/down keys don't work, and, by the time I'd extricated myself, the touchpad had stopped working.

What do I do next?

EDIT: backup save file cured the touchpad.

CatDude

#180 Post by CatDude »

Hi
01micko wrote:Compiz is confirmed working :)

on Sat Dec 17.....01micko wrote:.. I'll get to a full rundown on Monday..

We need wobbliness ASAP :wink: :wink:

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

01micko

#181 Post by 01micko »

CatDude wrote:Hi
01micko wrote:Compiz is confirmed working :)

on Sat Dec 17.....01micko wrote:.. I'll get to a full rundown on Monday..

We need wobbliness ASAP :wink: :wink:

CatDude
:lol: ... Sorry, yes it's Wednesday.. real life has reared it's head again, well you get that! Wont be far away...

CatDude

#182 Post by CatDude »

Hi
01micko wrote: :lol: ... Sorry, yes it's Wednesday.. real life has reared it's head again, well you get that! Wont be far away...
Hey, no worries mate, whenever you can fit it in.
Just didn't want you to forget about it all together :roll:

Thanks in advance
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

01micko

#183 Post by 01micko »

Here you go guys :)

Compiz!!!

UPDATE to the compiz-helper pet HERE! 111227

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/slacko/ ... -0.8.8.sfs 30M

md5sum compiz-slacko-0.8.8.sfs
18207ca5e34802fd0578b846682cfcee compiz-slacko-0.8.8.sfs

It includes everything you need, python, plugins, emerald, ccsm and lxpanel.

You need to get the attached "compiz-helper" pet to

1) test your system is capable

2) setup ~/.xinitrc with some vars and calls to compiz/emerald/lxpanel

3) adjust /etc/profile

Your xorg.conf *should* be just fine.. don't touch it

NOTES:
Please run the attachment! It probes your system for vital tid bits. Needless to say you need your accelerated video driver, works with Mesa on Intel and old Radeon, with nvidia driver on Nvidias and fglrx on new Radeons, i don't have a clue about obscure cards, but if you get a decent glxgears number and the test is passed then you are good.
In the xinitrc an attempt is made to see if you use Hardware or Software acceleration and appropriate variables set.

There is no extra wm included (emerald takes care of it) and there is a panel in the shape of lxpanel, bare bones. You can use xfce4 or trinity-KDE and if you're game KDE4. (More on these options later).

You invoke it from console (outside of X) with xwin dummy

I made it an sfs coz it's big! And it wont make a mess if you decide to toss it out.

It is tested working on my main fast system with nvidia and fglrx, my crappy eee-701-SD (NO bull!) and my r51 thinkpad with old radeon-mobility 32M graphics. that's 4! Hmm.. I wonder how the olpc-XO-1.5 will go? :lol:

Known issues:
-there is a little square in the top left corner, it's a window of rxvt, it's the "dummy" wm
-X doesn't close cleanly on some systems, you may need to hard poweroff, but I haven't had to yet, acpid usually cuts in.
-DO NOT use this on servers or where uptime is critical, says that too on the compiz site

Many thanks to dinky (creator of Ripple) for the rxvt idea, the crunch bang guys for ideas to run W/O a wm, the compiz guys, Forlong, for the compiz-check script (hacked for root access).

Have fun! :P
Attachments
compiz_helper-001.pet
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 1339 times
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 27 Dec 2011, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#184 Post by jpeps »

Thanks for including the helper. Its showed me that NixiPixil will just have to wait!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#185 Post by Lobster »

ran the fixer
(nice banana . . .)

OK I got three out of four errors
. . . so I added the Mesa GLX from Slickpet (under drivers)
OK now only have one error out of four

Next ran 'xwin startxfce4' from the prompt after adding xfce
and still looking for some wobble or evidence that Compiz is on the system . . .

. . . am I nearly there? Anyone else get those Compiz effects?
Thanks Mick. Thanks guys. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D