News, happenings
rhadon

#211 Post by rhadon »

Hi Mick,

you made my day. :D

Code: Select all

Option "AccelDFS" "True"
did the trick.

Enhanced zoom works fine, also scrolling and camera in Skype. This was always a problem in compiz for me.

Also you were right about 'clue'. :oops:

Sometimes I have no clue, how to write words. :lol:

Not true in my case, but I like this phrase: 'Misspelling is advised and increases cogitation' :lol:

Next I'll test your helper-002.pet.

Thanks for the late christmas gift,

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

01micko

#212 Post by 01micko »

rhadon wrote:Hi Mick,

you made my day. :D

Option "AccelDFS" "True"
did the trick.
Ahhh! Excellent! Just made my beer taste a little sweeter hearing that news. I know you've been a big fan of compiz since Ripple. As said, Ripple was the idea behind the "dummy" window manager, and I think it fits Puppy perfectly.

Cheers and enjoy!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#213 Post by 01micko »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
Sorry, slow reply...
Running Compiz 82 on Lupu 2.6.38.4..
Failed nearly every test, but works fine..
Have Cairo stuff too, maybe explains it???
I have a dear with no eyes :wink:

CatDude

#214 Post by CatDude »

Hi

Here is the latest version of Wbar,
it now comes with it's own Wbar Config GUI (see pics)

I compiled it in Slacko-5.3.1

It still requires that imlib2 is installed,
so i attach a .pet which i made from the slackware imlib2-1.4.4-i486-1tm.txz package.

After installation, go to: Menu > Desktop > Wbar Config
then click on the Reload button
and the Wbar should appear at the top of your screen.

CatDude
Attachments
icons.png
(46.09 KiB) Downloaded 3101 times
preferences.png
(30.48 KiB) Downloaded 3187 times
effects.png
(32.96 KiB) Downloaded 3124 times
new-icon.png
(9.3 KiB) Downloaded 3089 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

CatDude

#215 Post by CatDude »

Hi

Here is some more plugins including Cube Atlantis and Snow
compiz-plugins-unsupported-0.8.8.pet

CatDude
Last edited by CatDude on Wed 14 May 2014, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#216 Post by Lobster »

Here is the latest version of Wbar
Nice job Catdude.
Working better than the previous one I was using in Slacko.
(I think that was Lucid compiled)
A little tip for wbar users . . . sometimes the background picks up from the desktop. Right click on the wbar (but not an icon) to get rid of this . . .
. . . OK better add Wbar to Slickpet News
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SlackoNews

Puppy Linux
Cool for Cats
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gulk

#217 Post by gulk »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
Sorry, slow reply...
Running Compiz 82 on Lupu 2.6.38.4..
Failed nearly every test, but works fine..
Have Cairo stuff too, maybe explains it???
Hi puppyluvr,
do you mean you ran mick's compiz helper (made for slacko) in lupu?

Hi Mick,
another great success and hats off to you: compiz helper got 5 success out of 5 and compiz runs great (compiz helper v1, didn't try v2 yet, but probably will for the 1x1 pixel rxvt fix).
Do you have any specific formatting for machine specs you'd like to see?
Machine spec:
quad AMD 2.8Ghz
nvidia geforce460, running on Igu's 290-slacko.sfs [edit]Shino made the sfs, sorry Shinobar...[/edit] drivers
2GB ram
glxgear gives 15000 about

Several questions:
- the dummy wm looks like openbox, but I don't get the menu by right clicking on desktop; any way to get that feature back?
[edit] looks like only gtkdialog and lxpanel are running with "xwin dummy", which explains why it looks like openbox[/edit]
- tried to run trinity and compiz simultaneously, but get black screen (compiz running on top of trinity, cause I see some sort of cube shape flying by when I switch desktops by Ctrl+Alt+Arrow)
- I couldn't find Cairo dock in the slacko repo; is it available? (otherwise I'll stick with wbar that CatDude improved, awesome, by the way, thanks mate)
- Transmission v1.20 is default in slacko... if not done yet, I'll compile the 2.42; interested?
Last edited by gulk on Tue 27 Dec 2011, 23:33, edited 2 times in total.

8-bit

#218 Post by 8-bit »

Thought I would give you an update on my install on the old Toshiba laptop.
After using the second compiz helper pet, I am getting further with the rendering working. I still get a lot of flicker from the initial start of compiz fusion splash screen.
And I have to on occasion click on taskbar stuff a few times to get it to appear. But once everything is up it seems to work well and I noticed that the swap partition is not being used right away as it was before.
I do not know how much ram is reserved for the video card to use and that could have effects on display also.
But for a PC that old with limited memory to even work with compiz is good.
The thing that really impresses me is that compiz is working on both my laptop and desktop PCs with desktop graphic effects that MS Windows tells me are not doable on my PC and push the user to go out and buy yet another PC with better specs as to hardware that will be outdated a week later and one update of MS windows later or the next release of MS windows needing yet more hard drive space, memory, newer processor, etc.

My laptop has win XP on it and after a few updates and security installs from MS, it takes almost fifteen minutes from booting to get to a usable desktop and only if no updates to MS or the antivirus are found and the AV is not doing a full system scan.

So Slacko either with or without Compiz on it is a blessing giving me back a computer that I can actually use!

gulk

#219 Post by gulk »

gulk wrote: - Transmission v1.20 is default in slacko... if not done yet, I'll compile the 2.42; interested?
Well, I built transmission v2.42, but the executable is 18MB... does anyone have advice to reduce that somehow? Otherwise, I can just post the executable on megaupload.
As a side note, I had to get libevent from slackware repo, but that went very smoothly! Awesome!

rhadon

#220 Post by rhadon »

compiz_helper-002.pet works fine and is a big improvement. Thanks Mick. :D

Wbar, Cube Atlantis and Snow are also working fine. Wbar wouldn't be my first choice and I don't think I 'll use Snow, but I remember Cube Atlantis that I've used some years ago and it's nice to have it back. Thank you CatDude. :D

I was looking for Cairo Dock and found one here. I renamed cairo-dock-2.1.3-9-i686_495.sfs to cairo-dock-2.1.3-9-i686.sfs and it seems to work fine with Slacko. :D

I created a script with

cairo-dock -o
(you can also try cairo-dock -c) and moved it to the startup folder.

Have a nice day,

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

Iguleder

#221 Post by Iguleder »

If anyone wants - here is a tiny, 23 KB package of wbar, without the configuration tool.

I'm still working on my Slacko-based puplet (which includes this tiny package). I started modding Woof using a PET similar to 01micko's base_hacks, which removes many unneeded features from Woof, such as the pinboard, PupZip and many deprecated stuff (e.g lprshell, PuppyPDF). This also removes many of Woof's dependencies, such as ROX-Filer, AbiWord and nenscript.

My goals with this package are simple:
- Make Puppy independent of /etc/windowmanager, /usr/sbin/delayedrun and ROX-Filer.
- Remove legacy stuff, such as the Puppy 1.x to 2.x migration script. They're such a horrible waste of space.
- Make it easier to port Slacko to x86_64. I already started working on it; I have most of the packages needed ready.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#222 Post by Lobster »

gulk wrote: Well, I built transmission v2.42, but the executable is 18MB... does anyone have advice to reduce that somehow?
consider using pstrip and upx
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/compiling (appendix4 in particular)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 582#213761
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

gulk

#223 Post by gulk »

Lobster wrote:consider using pstrip and upx
Quite amazing... the transmission exe went from 18MB down to 270kB, using strip, then upx.
The executable runs fine on my machine, but I had previously installed transmission 2.13 from the PPM. I manually replaced the 2.13 executable with this one and it works. However I feel this is the dirty way to do it.
I would like to make a "clean" PET, but unfortunately, I have no way to make install in a specific folder (i.e. /dev/shm/transmission, per wikka instruction), then dir2pet. I don't know what files exactly were installed to the file system so I can manually get them back in a folder and dir2pet from there. Any idea? I'm sure this happened to you guys before me and you have a workaround.

In the mean time, if you're interested in transmission 2.42:
1) install the 2.13 PET from PPM (slacko repo)
2) overwrite transmission-gtk with the attached executable

01micko

#224 Post by 01micko »

Hi gulk,

Glad you seem to be enjoying Slacko.

When new2dir doesn't work for me I use a prog called Paco, though it looks like dev has ceased for the moment. It tracks installation and records it, and also can extract the package and make a tarball.

HTH

gulk

#225 Post by gulk »

01micko wrote:Glad you seem to be enjoying Slacko.
This is an understatement. That compiz package based on the dummy wm and lxpanel is wonderful; just add cube atlantis for pure show off!

Following your "paco" advice, I tracked down the transmission installation and "pacoball" put all that in a single folder. I manually moved files around to match puppy file system, reduced the executables size using strip and upx and ended up creating the attached transmission-2.42.pet (2.1MB, not bad at all... includes all bells and whistles too, like remote web interface, daemon, etc...) [edit]can't attach the file on the forum... file can be downloaded here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KEEEUVP0[/edit].

One more question: although I added libevent in the dependency list (i.e. +libevent), when I install the .pet in a pristine slacko (i.e. start in RAM), the .pet is installed but dependency is not... How do I force the dependency installation?
For example, if I install transmission-2.13 from the PPM, PPM would indicate the missing libs and and provide installation options.

01micko

#226 Post by 01micko »

gulk wrote: One more question: although I added libevent in the dependency list (i.e. +libevent), when I install the .pet in a pristine slacko (i.e. start in RAM), the .pet is installed but dependency is not... How do I force the dependency installation?
For example, if I install transmission-2.13 from the PPM, PPM would indicate the missing libs and and provide installation options.
This is a limitation of PPM. Just "clicking" on a pet doesn't check dependencies (say so in PetGet "help" too). We need to put in a feature request to BarryK as I agree that this is a shortcoming, deps are only checked when a pet is installed through the PPM interface.

gulk

#227 Post by gulk »

Understood. So the .pet I have on megaupload is ready to go; caveat is people will need to install libevent to make use of it, or transmission-2.42.pet should be added to slacko repo.
Enjoy :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#228 Post by Lobster »

Don't you give me that clever geek talk, I ran the transmission pet and got

# transmission
transmission: error while loading shared libraries: libevent-2.0.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# 
. . . eh . . . now what? Could not find libevent in ppm? :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

pemasu

#229 Post by pemasu »

Lobster. I suppose you are good to try the version Michalis has posted. Attached here.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#230 Post by Lobster »

thanks pemasu, thanks guys
. . . transmission update accomplished :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)