Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 Released

News, happenings
Jasper

#91 Post by Jasper »

Hi arcanis.

See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45825 to fix your screensaver problem (if I understand it correctly).

Type "wbar" without the quote marks in Slacko's Package Manager search box. Start from the "install" icon on the top row of your desktop and the Package Manager button will be near the bottom of the screen that appears.

My regards

Aitch

#92 Post by Aitch »

Hi Mick - update
Just tried slacko 5.3 scsi pae on my Viglen Genie server......quad 3.06ghz xeons, 3gb ram
Intel chipset, nvidia 128mb nv4
scsi 68gb 2.5" hdd

Flies nicely :D

No apparent problems

Aitch :)

smthers

#93 Post by smthers »

Great build, loving it so far.

Only problem I'm having is getting the Psync Time Server Synchronisation to adjust the time at startup. I can do this manually by right-clicking on the Firewall icon and selecting Psync, but it's pain having to do it every time I start the machine. I have tried setting Psync to Autostart but I'm guessing it might be trying to sync with internet time servers just as my wireless card is coming up and requesting an IP address. Anyone have any bright ideas?

tasmod

#94 Post by tasmod »

Can't remember whether I put net checking in this or firewallstate.

I'll check.

EDIT:

No it must have been firewallstate.

I'll look again at Psync to see what I can do.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

rodin.s

Russian langpack

#95 Post by rodin.s »

I have updated Russian langpack for Slacko-5.3.

tasmod

#96 Post by tasmod »

smthers,

Can you test this for me I don't have a wireless connection. It's quick and dirty but should work.

Rename without the .tar.gz the forum won't accept .sh

Place the file in /root/Startup replacing the one that should be already there.
Attachments
timesync.sh.tar.gz
Rename by removing the .tar.gz
(378 Bytes) Downloaded 298 times
Rob
-

ETP

Slacko 5.3

#97 Post by ETP »

Aitch WROTE:
Hi Mick - update
Just tried slacko 5.3 scsi pae on my Viglen Genie server.....
Very unusual name for a butler! Are you sure that he is British?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Bert

Re: Russian langpack

#98 Post by Bert »

rodin.s wrote:I have updated Russian langpack for Slacko-5.3.
HI rodin_s,

Just downloaded and unpacked your langpack to see what's in it :lol:

Congratulations! This looks like a very complete translation. Must have been uncountable man-hours, not only the translating itself, but also gettext, pot-file creation...

I think few people realize the amount of work you, L18L and shinobar have been doing. Thank you!
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

arcanis

Thank you.

#99 Post by arcanis »

Jaspar, thanks for your help. I used both of your suggestions and they worked without flaw.

As does this forum and the Puppy Linux community. I've been playing with Linux in general and Puppy in particular since the 3 series, but only now did I register in the forum instead of lurking without. I'm glad I did.

Thanks to all of you, developers and seasoned users alike. My fedora is off to you. (And off for good, I might add.)

arcanis

Re: Thank you.

#100 Post by arcanis »

arcanis wrote:Jaspar, thanks...both of your suggestions...worked without flaw.

But I spoke hastily, before I had actually installed the 'wbar' package and broke my system. :lol:
The 'wbar' comes from the Salix repository, and completely borked JWM (at least that's what I thought happened). Since there was no menu item, I opened the terminal (rxvt) and typed 'wbar.'

It appeared like magic, and I smiled at my pretend elite status --for only a second, because the terminal emulator would not respond to the command, 'exit.' so I closed it from the border button, and wbar promptly disappeared. So, I dropped to the prompt and typed 'restartx wbar' which gave me a desktop with icons. But no panel at the bottom of the screen. And no menu with a right-click. Opening the console from the icon did not prove fruitful, because it was sort of wonky as well --no identifier at the top border, and the command for turning off the wbar eluded my best guesses, but no matter, 'exit,' restart, reboot, restartx, and even :shock: "enter acausal reality" were also unhelpful.

Additionally, the PPM will not uninstall "wbar." In fact, it does not not show that the Salix package has been installed.

Maybe I could create a Slacko specific wbar. Since I have no idea what I'm doing, the project should take up the next year of my life, but it would keep me busy and out of trouble --just think of all the stuff I would learn!

Jasper

#101 Post by Jasper »

Hi arcanis,

I'm using Slacko 5.3 main and I installed "wbar" , without any problems, using the method I suggested.

Here a screenshot of some of my installed packages, including wbar.

If installed you should get a similar view and you should also see it under the Desktop section of the Menu.

Please say which Slacko version you are using and whether a full, frugal etc, installation.

I'm around for the next half hour, but not for some days ahead, but someone will surely help you if I can't.

My regards

ADDENDUM:

I apologise that apparently I may have installed wbar from a different source (though I have no such memory) since the version in my screenshot is later than the version shown using the Slacko Package Manager search box.
Attachments
PackageManager.jpg
(108.12 KiB) Downloaded 1564 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#102 Post by Lobster »

In Slacko Release Candidate I did use the Lucid pet successfully
but that is not ideal . . . so I used the 'jasper method'
and have a wbar config but no wbar (missing dependency see below)
There may also be missing fonts

Code: Select all

# wbar
wbar: error while loading shared libraries: libImlib2.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# 
Wot no bar?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

DaveS

Re: Thank you.

#103 Post by DaveS »

Arcanis, to restore JWM, try exit to prompt (ctrl+alt+backspace), and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

xwin jwm
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

smthers

#104 Post by smthers »

@tasmod many thanks for the script. However it doesn't update the time on boot, but it will if I restart x server. Any ideas?

tasmod

#105 Post by tasmod »

smthers,

I'll dig out my old laptop which has wireless and take a look see what I can do.
Rob
-

smthers

#106 Post by smthers »

tasmod wrote:smthers,

I'll dig out my old laptop which has wireless and take a look see what I can do.
Wow, cheers bud. 8)

tasmod

#107 Post by tasmod »

All,

Ok, only being familiar with basic wireless setup I need some help from knowledgeable wifi users.

To test whether connection was up I was checking for ip_tables as the guide.

Is there some straightforward way to check the wi-fi connection is active and working as well?

I lsmod my own wi-fi and could only find ath5 as a pointer, obviously this would be different for each user, so no real use. i need to check for active wi-fi so Psync can then run in autostart.
Rob
-

jim3630

#108 Post by jim3630 »

tasmod wrote:All,

Ok, only being familiar with basic wireless setup I need some help from knowledgeable wifi users.

To test whether connection was up I was checking for ip_tables as the guide.

Is there some straightforward way to check the wi-fi connection is active and working as well?

I lsmod my own wi-fi and could only find ath5 as a pointer, obviously this would be different for each user, so no real use. i need to check for active wi-fi so Psync can then run in autostart.
tasmod,

ifconfig -a will show active interfaces.

---------
from ppm ettercap will show nice graphics of active interface, actually a quantifiable graphics of active interfaces.

-------
from ppm iftop is another nice one.

console:
iftop -i <interface> in my case wlan0

then toggle with "h"

---
may not be in slacko repo but this one should work. works in racy just remove phony gz.
-----

removed iftop as does not work in slacko-pae
Last edited by jim3630 on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

tasmod

#109 Post by tasmod »

jim,

Thanks for tip. I only need a simple one liner type, I don't want to install anything else.

I had been using ifconfig this morning to determine the active interfaces.

I started up my old laptop and used Frisbee to get wifi working. That's when I discovered a glitch with this method. ifconfig shows active interfaces but not necessarily connected ones.

Using Frisbee I can turn wifi on and off but this doesn't affect ifconfig.

iwconfig does however show the wifi ESSID when connected and removes it when not, so I'm working on that at the moment in between html etc etc. Too many calls on my time just now.
Rob
-

tasmod

#110 Post by tasmod »

smthers,

Try this one, I've tested it on my wired and wireless 'puters. It should distinguish between either.

In the case of wifi, although it tests out OK I added an extra 10 second sleep just to be sure it's up before running Psync autostart.

As before rename by removing .tar.gz and place in /root/Startup

Oh and don't forget to check permissions are set, right click, then properties and ticks should be on exec.
Attachments
timesync.sh.tar.gz
(548 Bytes) Downloaded 261 times
Last edited by tasmod on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:39, edited 3 times in total.
Rob
-