dosbox for lupu 500 and above

Play with your Puppy.
sickgut

dosbox for lupu 500 and above

#1 Post by sickgut »

Older series 4 pets for dosbox dont work on lupu, it complains about sdl not being installed even though it is. So i compiled a dosbox on lupu that will work on lupu. Note that a dosbox compiled on puppy 4 doesny work on lupu, but a dosbox compiled on lupu works on series 4 AND lupu just fine.

you can get the latest version 0.74 here:

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... .74.tar.gz

Its a static installation so you can extract the tar.gz into any dir you like and then run it by clicking on "dosbox" file.

have fun
sickgut

chrismt

#2 Post by chrismt »

Thanks man!

It is working here in Puppy 5.1

Do you know how to resize the Dosbox window?

sickgut

#3 Post by sickgut »

hey

glad to hear it works.
i usually just use alt - enter to change from windowed to full screen and back

sickgut

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

chrismt wrote:Thanks man!

It is working here in Puppy 5.1

Do you know how to resize the Dosbox window?
Hi!

The Alt-Enter command maximizes to full screen and back.

You can't really change the size of a dosbox window. In DOS, you only had one full-screen window, and no multiple windows, only one window.

You can change the size statically, by trying different values in your dosbox.conf file, near the top, at "window resolution" parameter. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

windowresolution=920x690
# 920x690 # 1024x768  # 800x600 # original
output=overlay
# overlay # surface
You need to specify "output=overlay" otherwise it won't work. I've indicated a few values underneath "windowresolution=", but you may want to toy with it more to suit your needs.

Three words of caution:
1) when using the "output=overlay" setting for "modified-size" dosbox windows, some programs will maintain crisp appearance, others will have a blurry display, even if you hit Alt-Enter to go in full-screen mode. So it's a trial and error kind of thing.
2) If you get your proportions wrong, like if you mistake the height for the width, your DOS program will look really funny!
3) I don't know if it's true, but in a dosbox forum, it says that using "output=opengl" (which is available as a setting) might break something if your graphics card is an ATI/Radeon card. I'm no expert on this, just relaying the info. I'd personally stick with either the "output=surface" or the "output=overlay" settings.

But it's worth the try if it increases your ease of use for some programs.

Merry Christmas to all!
.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Hello, again.

When I unpack your archive, it unpacks to
tartmp.TAq936
I had to change the name to tartmp.TAq936.tar
for xarchiver to recognize this file.

When I run your compile. I get:

Code: Select all

# ./dosbox: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./dosbox)
I'm trying to run it on MyWolfe-0.21 derivative of Puppy/Quirky

List of files in archive:
dosbox
dosbox.ico
dosbox.o
winres.rc

Is this ok?

Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

TSSHAM

How to Use

#6 Post by TSSHAM »

Hi Sickgut:

I unpacked the tar and put the 4 files in a directory. When click on dosbox file it does nothing.
Is that the correct way to use it?
My Puppy is 4.1.2
Any additional download to make it work in 4.1.2?
How can I check what is the problem?

Thanks in advance

Jasper

#7 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

You might try downloading the Linux portable version of DOSBox 0.73 from http://portablelinuxapps.org/

It can be moved anywhere, then right click on its icon then left click permissions then left click Yes.

Now left click on the icon and it should load. If it works then (if you wish) uninstall the other version and any dependencies.

My regards

PS I don't know the differences between 0.73 and 0.74.

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

Hello, TSSHAM, Sir Jasper, and the whole bunch!

FYI, there was quite a long discussion on using DOSBox in Puppy on the French side of the forum a month or so ago.

You may wish to consult
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 033#481033
and
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 837#472837

In spite of the language barrier, there are lots of infos there, in the form of URL references, bash code, DOSBox config tips, illustrations, etc., which are not language dependent. If you're stumped, you can also leave your questions here, and I can translate.some of those infos (within reason!).

As well you may want to download my "DOSBox Office", which resulted from those discussions, from
http://www.limelinx.com/files/7f01782a0 ... 7be31204a9.
The basis is DOSBox 0.73, but it will work under v. 0.74 of DOSBox also, depending on the libs present in your Puppy.

it should be noted that the program themselves are in English -- there was very little localisation during the DOS period

Among other apps, this package contains the VDE editor, the famous PBCal PIM, MegaPaint, some extremely useful DBase/Xbase utilities that even Gnumeric has shed off, the unbeatable nconvert picture converter and many other apps. I've integrated some to the jwm menu for easy access, and of course there is a menu entry and a launch folder for the "DOSBox Office" "powermenu".

Here are some screenshots:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=36115
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=36114

"Argolance" has told me that he will be using part of my package for inclusion in his next "reload" of "Toutou Linux FAT version".

The interest of having a DOSBox set-up on your Puppy is that 1) it's far less megabyte-hungry than Wine programs, and 2) you can run specific utilities -- e.g. for business -- that do not have a counterpart yet on any other platform.

Enjoy!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Jasper

#9 Post by Jasper »

Hi musher0,

As this thread appears under Games TSSHAM may, or may not, need your Office version.

However, although I only wanted DOSBox to run my ancient DOS spreadsheet program, I shall be interested and pleased to try your Office selection sometime this week.

My regards

sickgut

#10 Post by sickgut »

ok lets clarify something
this dosbox package i compiled is for lupu 500, ie Puppy version 5 and above
its not going to work on your 4.1 or other puppies

i did this because the dosbox from puppy 4 series doesnt work on puppy 5
this is a custom package for puppy 5 only, please use a propper dosbox pet that is made to work on your series 4 puppies, not this one

ok over and out
sickgut

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

For the record, the package I assembled for puppy 4.31 up to v. dpup486 work just fine with the lucid puppy 5.25 I'm writing this post on... I think it's machine call thing linked to the SDL libraries, rather that to the version of DOSBox itself.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~