Linux Synthesizers

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
LazY Puppy

Linux Synthesizers

#1 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Anyone experienced with those Synthesizers at LinuxSynths and how/if they would work in Puppy?
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

I imagine one would be able to get one of these going....maybe I will experiment with compiling one of them!

LazY Puppy

#3 Post by LazY Puppy »

A few of them I could find in the Ubuntu repository.

- AMSynth-1.3.2-2
- Bristol-0.60.11
- CSound-6.02
- Freebirth-0.3.2-9
- Hexter-1.0.2-3
- Nekobee-0.1.7-4
- MX44-1.0-0
- Petri-Foo-0.1.87-2
- PhaseX-0.14.97-2
- Samplv1-0.3.6-3
- Setbfree-0.7.5-1
- Sineshaper-0.4.2
- Synthv1-0.3.6-3
- WhySynth-1.2
- WSynth-dssi-0.1.3-4
- XSynth-dssi-0.9.4-2
- Zynaddsubfx-2.4.3-4
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

Ok that is a big help! very nice....

LazY Puppy

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

All of the above listed software synthesizers downloaded from Ubuntu repository. Almost all needs JACK, some do work with ALSA. Actually checked them all. Pretty cool. Will include them into my future release of Audio Recording Suite RoxApp. Though, I would like to add some synthesizers that aren't available in the Ubuntu repository.
RSH

zigbert

#6 Post by zigbert »

Sometimes a simple web-link can impress. - Telling me what Linux offers that I had no clue about...

LazY Puppy

#7 Post by LazY Puppy »

Yes, I was also impressed very much, as I didn't know most of those software synthesizers.

Found this when I was on the search for the website of AMSynth, as the above mentioned RoxApp will have a 'Help' section with links to the websites of all included synthesizers (got already links to 24 of such websites included).
RSH

rockedge

#8 Post by rockedge »

I am downloading your RoxApp with the other necessary PET and I am looking forward to giving it a good look. The system looks very promising and useful. Vielen Dank

Schöne Grüße

OscarTalks

#9 Post by OscarTalks »

Back in the days when Slacko 5.3.3 was current I seem to recall compiling ZynAddSubFx from source and it was running OK. Often things like the dependency on jack (or pulse) can be disabled at build time. One reason why it is good to compile specifically for Puppy if possible rather than using Ubuntu or other distro's packages.
Oscar in England

LazY Puppy

#10 Post by LazY Puppy »

rockedge wrote:I am downloading your RoxApp with the other necessary PET and I am looking forward to giving it a good look. The system looks very promising and useful. Vielen Dank

Schöne Grüße
The RoxApp is still in development. There's just the first edition of the .sfs module to download. I will publish the RoxApp including updated .sfs module when it is finished and translated to EN.

Sorry if there was any confusion...
OscarTalks wrote:Back in the days when Slacko 5.3.3 was current I seem to recall compiling ZynAddSubFx from source and it was running OK. Often things like the dependency on jack (or pulse) can be disabled at build time. One reason why it is good to compile specifically for Puppy if possible rather than using Ubuntu or other distro's packages.
Yes, if one wants to use them just as single application it may be useful to compile them withot the JACK dependency. Though, in a recording setup and for a use with multi track sequencers it is necessary to have them working under JACK.
RSH

rockedge

#11 Post by rockedge »

I can read German if that will get me a copy sooner! Ich spreche Deutsch. I would also very much like an English version. I do understand you are not quite finished and ready to release the app and In the meanwhile, I downloaded the .sfs and the PET.

LazY Puppy

#12 Post by LazY Puppy »

rockedge wrote:I can read German if that will get me a copy sooner! Ich spreche Deutsch. I would also very much like an English version. I do understand you are not quite finished and ready to release the app and In the meanwhile, I downloaded the .sfs and the PET.
Ok, I will keep this in mind and upload a earlier version of the RoxApp when it is finished (without the translations to EN). :)

Probably in the first week of February 2017. Need to re-charge my pre-paid card for internet access for this, which can't be done before February 2017.
RSH

mini-jaguar

#13 Post by mini-jaguar »

LazY Puppy wrote:A few of them I could find in the Ubuntu repository.

- AMSynth-1.3.2-2
- Bristol-0.60.11
- CSound-6.02
- Freebirth-0.3.2-9
- Hexter-1.0.2-3
- Nekobee-0.1.7-4
- MX44-1.0-0
- Petri-Foo-0.1.87-2
- PhaseX-0.14.97-2
- Samplv1-0.3.6-3
- Setbfree-0.7.5-1
- Sineshaper-0.4.2
- Synthv1-0.3.6-3
- WhySynth-1.2
- WSynth-dssi-0.1.3-4
- XSynth-dssi-0.9.4-2
- Zynaddsubfx-2.4.3-4
There is definitely a ,pet of Bristol for FatDog64 6.X.X, although that's unlikely to work in other distros.

I've also seen .pets for AMSynth and Zynaddsubfx, I think for Saluki if my memory serves me correctly,

rockedge

#14 Post by rockedge »

Hallo LazY Puppy!

Hope all is well in Deutschland, we here are at the start of a comedy show with some super rich guys running the show telling us "poor" people that all our problems are caused by the even poorer people then ourselves. And once we get rid of them and all the other "not so American as us".......... all will be really great.

So time for some synthesizer.......how is the project going? Looking forward to trying out your work and hearing those sounds of music.

LazY Puppy

#15 Post by LazY Puppy »

Still fighting the influenza.

Just browsing the forum from time to time, download some stuff, building .sfs modules, though no ability to do real developments. Seems to take the rest of the week until I'm restored to health.

Re the TV show.

Yeah, the poor are the problem at all. What are they doing wrong? Why can't they just be rich? :wink: :lol:

Poor People, tststs... :roll:

Uupps, I forgot. Just being a poor man too. :lol:
RSH

rockedge

#16 Post by rockedge »

Hallo LazY Puppy!

How are you recovering from the influenza? Hope all is well and your feeling better than before.

ciento

#17 Post by ciento »

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=424953

There are several excellent freebies at the above link:
Podolski and Tripplecheese are synths, Repro is a
working alpha build of what became U-he Repro-1.

Protoverb is a reverb with randomizer to make
as many reverb presets as your luck provides.

The rest are demos of excellent commercial instruments and effects.

Installing Zebra2 provides another freebie, the great 'Zebralette'

Another free one is TyrellN6, if you ask the U-he dev by pm (abique)
perhaps he'll let you use it.

Maybe Abique will have a link for Beatzille, a lighter version
of Bazille modular synth, that was presented on Beat Magazine dvd,
and is now freeware

These all install to /home/user/.vst
by de-archiving, and running
a provided simple script, no repos needed. Current versions
of qtractor and ardour Daw software can host these correctly.

The Calf Collection of effects plugins, includes 3 more synths,
an excellent monosynth, organ, and a wavetable synth.

Linux Hexter, in your list, is a Yamaha DX7 clone, and all the
many hundreds of 32 sound sysex soundbanks
for DX7 were painstakenly sorted to remove duplicates,
by 'BlackWinny', and this archive and 'cartridge provide a
huge array of fine classic sounds, easily googled.

Hope Lazy Pup is getting well from the flu!

rockedge

#18 Post by rockedge »

thanks for the info!
I am running at the moment Rosegarden in Tahr 6.0.5 and tahr 6.0.6. I also have Jackd running but I am getting better results with using ALSA and leaving Jackd off. I have a few soft synths going including Fluidsynth and using LMMS I can create stuff using the soft synths. The goal is to use Rosegarden or LMMS to record MIDI to be able to sequence
a Yamaha DX-11 and a Roland D-50 and a mix of soft synths and percussion modules.