HDMI for data

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
scsijon

HDMI for data

#1 Post by scsijon »

Just a short note.

I was on a Cambridge Uni chat session last night (aussie time) and it was mentioned in passing that a group of their coders are working at using the HDMI interface for data transfer.

Roughly it would mean that you could use your HDMI to move data around securely or between computers / networks etc. and fast, since HDMI throughput can currently run up to 14.4 gigabits per cable and individually 6gigabits per channel, that could be interesting, especially for those that run torrent servers.

regards

edit1:typos

EDit2: and 14.4gigabits is with overheads on, it's 18gigabit without.
Last edited by scsijon on Sat 14 Mar 2015, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

that is interesting, so HDMI from one computer to the other HDMI cables are the same both ends, Think of the backup from one computer to another at like raw sata speed. I like this a lot.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Is the HDMI spec open-source?

sketchman

#4 Post by sketchman »

I've had issues with HDMI over long distances. Something CAT doesn't mind till well beyond HDMI "limits".

For instance, a cheap set of HDMI cables (that cost 5x the equivalent length CAT6) still needed a passive repeater to get just 60ft. This was a real world example, and I tested them with just a coupler before buying the repeater. And that was not the max capacity either. We're running 1440x900 res.

My cheap CAT6 cable on the other hand, does fine at that length, and the max length is something like 300ft with no extra hardware in between. No brainer.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"