Thanks for all the help!

Booting, installing, newbie
pooklaroux

Thanks for all the help!

#1 Post by pooklaroux »

Okay -- I am actually online through my own wireless connection in Puppy on the Thinkpad!

In order to get it to work, I had to delete the pup100 file and recreate it. I am not really sure what was awry, but that got me over the hump.

I am using a 2wire wireless pcmcia, made by agere, using the orinoco driver already in puppy linux. I just kept running the networking wizard, and WAG. eventually I got it to go.

Before I deleted the pup file, I was also having a problem getting mozilla to run. But now I can run mozilla, and I also dl'd and installed firefox, and that's what I'm using now.

Thanks folks! Much appreciation. I can tell I'll be around on the forum a lot as I learn linux.

I dl'd and installed java too. All of everyone's advice has been helpful.

Here is my advice: if it should be working and isn't delete that file! Let puppy recreate it, or run through it not loading the save file. That's how I figured out that the file might be the culprit.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

copy usr_cram.fs from CD

#2 Post by Lobster »

Well done pooklaroux

Puppy is a great place to learn. I was using other distros but used Barrys pages to learn what other distros never seemed to mention. I even toyed with the idea of using Puppy . . .

I used it a bit but the screen refresh was very poor. Then I read a little tweak and later realised this tweak had been on the screen all along. So Puppy was small and fast but it did not look very good. Then IceWm started to be used and . . . OK it looked good was fast BUT it had no powerful paint program. Barry added Gimp. That seems a lifetime ago (in fact about a year).

Yes you are right just delete pup001 from /mnt/home and reboot
Your new puppy installation should take about 5 mins (if runing from CD)

I say that again - A new Puppy installation (setup including internet connection) should take, with experience, 5 mins. You get up to speed in no time . . . ( I think my record is about 3 1/2 minutes)
Pizzasgood is trying to break the 3 minute record)

m m m . . . wonder what my bootup time is from turn on (I leave the Puppy CD in the CD player)

One tip copy usr_cram.fs from CD to the same location as the pup001 file /mnt/home - that way it loads from HD and is faster than loading from CD

Puppy grows. One user at a time.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D