get iplayer 2.8.3 UPDATE 10

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Barkingmad

#91 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

I thought I should report back for info.

I downloaded the Precise pet from the link in the first post of this thread, getting a file named as version 2.83. I installed it in Precise ran it and found the version reported as 2.91 and all seems to be working without needing to "check for updates" within the Get-Iplayer GUI. I did have the devx.sfs loaded when I insteed the pet.

EDIT. Further info for referance. I find that the devx.sfs needs to be loaded whenever Get-Iplayer is running otherwise functions like search fail with errors about compile failed etc. As long as the devx is present all seems well.

Hope these notes might be usefull

Will

a_salty_dogg

#92 Post by a_salty_dogg »

The filehost, copy.com, seems to be no more, confirmed at the site...
Copy was discontinued on May 1, 2016
Although I realise this topic is now very old, is anyone able to re-up the files in OP's post, and update the links here, please?
(Specifically seeking the .pet file for installation in wary 5.5)

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Semme

#93 Post by Semme »

Got a few questions for ya..

Have you ever compiled a program under Linux?

Are you familiar with Perl or CPAN?

If you open a shell and ask "which cpan", does it return >> /usr/bin/cpan?

Granted, you may be asking too much of poor'ol 5.5?

I almost think a smart phone would be the right choice in your shoes..

Semme

#94 Post by Semme »

Hey, how about that.. I found something that *appears* to work, though I need your input..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

a_salty_dogg

#95 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Semme, sorry for the delay,
answers...

1) No

2) No, though I've heard of Perl, think get_iplayer and certain other programs iuse it in .pet installs?

3)

Code: Select all

# which cpan
# 
That's all I get!

4) I've never found Wary to be wanting before, and it, Lupu 5.28, Precise 5.71, (and AntiX MX-14) are the most recent flavours which work comfortably on my ancient hardware. Get-iplayer runs perfectly well on a daily basis on Precise (with devx loaded) and AntiX, and I've no reason to expect it wouldn't also on Wary.

5) I don't really understand what you're asking/saying here, but I don't normally allow my smart phone data permissions, for varioius reasons, so have no plans ever to use it online.
(Anyhow wouldn't the storage limitations be a serious hindrance to trying to use get_iplayer on a phone?)

Thanks for your interest.

Semme

#96 Post by Semme »

I'm not sure if these later builds will run aboard Wary, but you'll need the devx @ minimum.

Get that loaded then try "which cpan" again. You need these Perl libs to make it all work.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

a_salty_dogg

#97 Post by a_salty_dogg »

P.S.
As regards trying to play with more recent Pupipes, I've tried LX 13.11 Non-PAE which is too sluggish to be of any use (pity because on my old, but newer than this, comp it was definitely my favourite Puppy, and would be my default OS given the choice), and Tahr 6, which will just about boot but not run at all here.
The other one I really enjoy is Lighthouse, yet that's even older than anything, and even I can see it's unnecessarily heavy on shiny widgets and stuff, so have no problem living without that.

Off to my bed now, thanks again.

a_salty_dogg

#98 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Sorry our posts crossed there.
Will try and locate a Wary devx and get back to you, thanks.

a_salty_dogg

#99 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Sorry for the delay, ibiblio is very slow, devx.sfs now loaded...

# which cpan
/usr/bin/cpan

Semme

#100 Post by Semme »

Like I said, I'm not sure this will work, but you can give it a go.

Grab the Tahr package from the opening post and install it.

Then open the terminal and run: get_iplayer

Its GUI should open and the console will probably list a missing element.

As I'm no longer on Wary tonight, you tell me what it says..

Semme

#101 Post by Semme »

PS -- If you have any trouble with copy and paste, install Sakura.

a_salty_dogg

#102 Post by a_salty_dogg »

It creates a getiplayer folder in root, as it should, but when I try to run the program it gives me

# ./get_iplayer
Can't locate HTTP/Cookies.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1/i486-t2-linux-gnu /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/i486-t2-linux-gnu /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.1/i486-t2-linux-gnu /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ./get_iplayer line 62.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./get_iplayer line 62.

a_salty_dogg

#103 Post by a_salty_dogg »

LOL my only problem with copy/pasting from terminal is that my mouse middle button is tired and past its sell-by date :oops:

Semme

#104 Post by Semme »

Like I said, Sakura makes a good terminal.

As for the message, run this and see if it will complete without error..

cpan App::cpanminus

a_salty_dogg

#105 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Edit, resolved
Last edited by a_salty_dogg on Tue 25 Oct 2016, 01:43, edited 2 times in total.

a_salty_dogg

#106 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Semme,
Thanks very much for all your help yesterday, However as you will see below if you're still monitoring this thread, 666philb has come up trumps and re-upped the original files for me, so my problem is now resolved.
Btw, took your kind advice and installed Sakura terminal, much better experience.
Last edited by a_salty_dogg on Tue 25 Oct 2016, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

666philb

#107 Post by 666philb »

a_salty_dogg wrote:The filehost, copy.com, seems to be no more, confirmed at the site...
Copy was discontinued on May 1, 2016
Although I realise this topic is now very old, is anyone able to re-up the files in OP's post, and update the links here, please?
(Specifically seeking the .pet file for installation in wary 5.5)

Thanks in advance if you can help.
hi salty_dogg,

i've re-uploaded the pets here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

a_salty_dogg

#108 Post by a_salty_dogg »

666philb,

MANY thanks for that, just what I wanted. :D

I'll keep them all somewhere safe on an external drive now, in case I may need any again in the future. which of course is what I should have done years ago,

On a slightly aside note, do you happen to have any idea if get_iplayer will still work in the New Year, after they bring in this compulsory BBC iPlayer site log-in regime?

Thanks again for all your work here.

number698

#109 Post by number698 »

WARNING: Failed to download programme schedule

just me or is this no longer a working pet ?

keniv

#110 Post by keniv »

I have noticed a change from about five days back. I use it mainly to download radio programmes. I can get the index feeds but when I try to download a programme this is what I get. I don't normally see the last line. I don't even know what "pid metadata" is. I have uninstalled and re-installed the pet but still get the same result. I wonder if the BBC have change something. Can it be repaired or is there a work around. I'll realy miss it if I can't get it working again.

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(36.57 KiB) Downloaded 364 times