Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

Saluki

#1 Post by jemimah »

Saluki is a woof-build based on Racy 5.2 with Xfce. The suggested target hardware is computers less than 5 years old. It should run reasonably fast on older machines and netbooks, but Xfce does need a bit more ram and cpu than the standard ROX/Jwm puppy - probably at least 512MB of ram and 1GHz CPU for decent performance.

Please visit the new Saluki website at http://saluki-linux.com

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

The focus is user-friendliness, innovation, improved look and feel, and solid, functional applications. We attempt to address the most common complaints of new Puppy users and raise the bar for Puppy usability, customizability, and polish.

This is a Release Candidate. Please report any bugs you find.

The enhanced Saluki Package Manager is well stocked with packages, tested and working, and integrated with sfs loader. New packages added frequently. Want a package added, just ask. Package maintainers and contributors welcome!

A brand new version of the Frisbee network manager makes networking easier and more reliable than ever.

SFS-on-the-fly replaces the boot manager for ultimate sfs loading convenience.

Saluki is designed from the ground up for use as a base system for puplet developers. The Saluki Custom Puplet builder is a build system with unmatched precision and ease of use. You can change the apps, change the kernel, rename the sfs files, choose xorgwizard or automatic desktop, trim the zdrive, and customize the look and feel.
Remix your own perfect, production quality puplet in 15 minutes or less.

Simple, uncluttered menus, with one application per task and searchable control panel makes navigating easy, and intuitive.

Icons can be dragged from the menus or the control panel onto the desktop.

Highly customizable panels with a multitude of available panel applets, plus a wide array of included themes and fonts, make personalizing your desktop fun.

Out of the box OpenGL makes Saluki ready for eye candy like Compiz and Cairo-Dock, as well as 3D games.

This is the post that explains how to compile the ati driver. If you make a pet for it - let me know and I'll add it to the repo.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 970#621970

The kernel is 3.2.8 i686 SMP PREEMPT built by Pemasu.

If you have more than 3GB of ram you might be interested in the PAE kernel. You can use the custom builder to rebuild the ISO with the PAE kernel.
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Saluki/k ... .2.13-pae/

Download saluki-023 (130MB):
http://smokey01.com/saluki/isos/

New in 023:
Bugfixes for Xfce issues
Updated pup-volume-manager and mounting backend stuff. This is now pretty stable.
Updated Midori
Removed Streamtuner

New in 022:
Xfce updated to 4.10
New volume management and drive mounting backend - This is still UNSTABLE. Use saluki-21 if you need something stable.
Pupsaveconfig updated

New in 021:
Updated Midori, pupsaveconfig
fixed ogle

New in 020:
Bugfixes and minor enhancements

New in 019:
Updated pupsaveconfig, firstrun, and sfs_load
updated theme and wallpapers
renamed gnome icon theme to hicolor for better support of adding additional full icon themes
suppression of drive notifications during bootup
various bugfixes and minor enhancements
perl removed from devx so perl application dependencies work

New in 018:
Splash screens. You should get a splash screen for the
livecd, for grub4dos, and during bootup. These can be changed with the custom builder.

Various bugfixes and minor enhancements

New in 017:
Various bugfixes and minor enhancements

New in 016:
Various bugfixes, including dvd mounting, startmount ntfs drives, Thunar not refreshing file lists, and midori local html files.

New in 015:
Updated Midori
Updated Kernel
Updated Custom Builder
Updated ntfs-3g
Various Bugfixes

New in 014:
The custom builder now shows which packages are missing dependencies and includes the zdrv cutter.

Frisbee updated
Pupdial - UI updated

Various bug fixes and minor enhancements

New in 013:
new kernel
Thunar archiver plugin
many new plugins for gstreamer
saluki custom puplet builder
pdf-cube
lsalarm
various fixes and enhancements

New in 012:
LHP sysinfo
unrar
xfce desktop drive icons
volume notifications

Various fixes and enhancements

New in 011:

More PPM enhancements
Remove Builtins now works with adrive
Defaults-Chooser - Scottman's version with updates
PupRemaster - This is Dougal's version with some updates
The firewall installer has had a bit of a face lift

Various bugfixes and enhancements

New in 010:

This is mostly a bugfix release

I've also done some work on streamlining the PPM. Sfs_load is now integrated into the ppm and rxvt downloads are a thing of the past.

Full installs are hopefully fixed.

New in 009:

The desktop is now icon-free. You can drag and drop items from the menu or control panel right to the desktop. Just click on a menu entry, hold, and drop it on the desktop.

PPM and SFSget now working
startmount
xfburn
Various refinements and bugfixes

New in 008:
I've replaced retrovol with the xfce mixer. To get it to work you need to right click and open the Properties then left click and set your controls.

Various refinements and bugfixes

The following apps have been added:
  • abiword
    aiksaurus
    asunder
    claws-mail
    dia
    evince
    fbreader
    gadmin-sshd
    galculator
    gcolor2
    gftp
    gnac
    gnumeric
    gstpw
    gtktetris
    gweled
    gworldclock
    mhwaveedit
    midori
    mtpaint
    ogle
    osmo
    pcd
    pidgin
    pupcamera
    putty
    remmina
    ristretto
    streamtuner
    thoggen
    transmission
    ucview
    xdelta
    xmenumaker - Thanks Geoffrey!
    xnoise

New in 007:
updated xfdesktop and thunar
a bunch of new fonts
gtk theme engines and themes
xfce notification daemon
updated: pbootsound, PUI, syslinux
added: pupsaveconfig, pfind, xarchiver, woofy
installing pets no longer goes directly to the save layer - I'm not sure why this works for some kernels and not others
Enhanced Thunar Custom Actions - Thanks Geoffrey!
various bugfixes

The xorg headers accidentally got omitted from the devx again. Use the 006 devx or download the headers from the wary repo.http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -3-w5c.pet

New in 006:

Xfce session layer
Additional Xfce configuration tools
Bugfixes for various bugs reported in 005
Xfce terminal
Xfce screenshot grabber

New in 005:

Rox and Jwm replaced by Xfce
Frisbee
A large amount of work has gone into making the xfce environment as familiar to puppy users as possible. There are many woof patches and several for xfce.

New in 004:
updated glib now shows mounted drives in file open/save dialogs
gtk returned to 2.24.8 - possible fix for gseal errors included in devx
vattery
acpid - supend,hibernate,powersaving modes,etc
sven - most hotkeys should work
annoying welcomefirstboot message moved to the tray
gxmessage replaces xmessage
sfs-on-the-fly
RoxRightClicks
grandr

New in 003:

I've done a bit of cleanup and added a control panel. The freememapplet is patched with a menu entry for increasing save file size.

----
Last edited by jemimah on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 17:10, edited 62 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Hope you have room for a crustacean with some wiki skills?

New Saluki page
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

That sounds great but just 2 issues, Icewm was always the best WM for lightweight excellent graphics, I made ton's of really small themes for 4 series community edition plus a real small pet for icewm, It always ran perfect on my pc's but other people's pc's always had issues, and they would revert back to JW, So when I was building 2.14X I went with xfce panel and metacity, The combination was incredibly light, fast and better looking than icewm, I've never had a complaint against it. Really I would give this combo 2 thumbs up, Maybe you might want to consider this combo, I even have a bash theme switcher that clarf made for 2.14X that you could use, If you like the idea, Just tell me which Wary version your going with and I could work on it.

PCManFM2 VS Rox, I've always been 100% rox user, 2.14X has Rox and Thunar, but I never use thunar,

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Welcome back to the forum, Jemimah!

jim3630

#5 Post by jim3630 »

enjoyed fluppy. thanks for a unique well thought out pup that just works.
user friendly and not just another geeks toy. :)
while I'm not a programmer developer or code slinger
do have time for through testing of common programs. just mention it.
Welcome back!

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

ttuuxxx wrote:That sounds great but just 2 issues, Icewm was always the best WM for lightweight excellent graphics, I made ton's of really small themes for 4 series community edition plus a real small pet for icewm, It always ran perfect on my pc's but other people's pc's always had issues, and they would revert back to JW, So when I was building 2.14X I went with xfce panel and metacity, The combination was incredibly light, fast and better looking than icewm, I've never had a complaint against it. Really I would give this combo 2 thumbs up, Maybe you might want to consider this combo, I even have a bash theme switcher that clarf made for 2.14X that you could use, If you like the idea, Just tell me which Wary version your going with and I could work on it.

PCManFM2 VS Rox, I've always been 100% rox user, 2.14X has Rox and Thunar, but I never use thunar,

ttuuxxx
My main objection to metacity is that it totally lacks configuration options. I guess boring can be good in a WM depending on your perspective - anyway lets build it and see how it goes.

I think Rox tends to grow on people once they figure it out - but it's very non-intuitive, and alienating at first. I'm not dead-set on pcmanfm, but I think it's worth experimenting with.

I'm personally working with Racy 5.2.2. I think packages can work for either racy or wary. I'm thinking stay with racy unless there turns out to be some good reason to prefer wary.

Tman

#7 Post by Tman »

ttuuxxx wrote:... Icewm was always the best WM for lightweight excellent graphics, I made ton's of really small themes for 4 series community edition plus a real small pet for icewm, It always ran perfect on my pc's but other people's pc's always had issues, and they would revert back to JW, So when I was building 2.14X I went with xfce panel and metacity, ...
IceWM is included in the 3 puplets I have made. No one has complained about it crashing so far. However, when I tried 2.14x, I did like your xfce panel/metacity combo. If you could help with that, it will be great. Rox-Filer will probably still be included.

I still need to master woof, which I will try to do within the next 2 weeks. I am finishing up my other project as well, so I will be doing a bit of juggling during the process. Sakuli will be based on the latest Wary Racy, or Wary with a new xorg and kernel; which is basically the same thing. Target systems will be modern to semi-modern hardware.
If anyone wants to help with compiling apps and drivers, that would be great too.

ttuuxxx

#8 Post by ttuuxxx »

jemimah wrote: My main objection to metacity is that it totally lacks configuration options. I guess boring can be good in a WM depending on your perspective - anyway lets build it and see how it goes.
Maybe you didn't find the location of the configs for meta city located in
/root/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
<entry name="mouse_button_modifier" mtime="1283149958" type="string">
<stringvalue><Alt></stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="button_layout" mtime="1281891627" type="string">
<stringvalue>menu:minimize,maximize,close</stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="num_workspaces" mtime="1282316500" type="int" value="2">
</entry>
<entry name="theme" mtime="1282320229" type="string">
<stringvalue>meta-pup</stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="titlebar_font" mtime="1283138926" type="string">
<stringvalue>Sans</stringvalue>
</entry>
</gconf>
plus global keybindings, also the metacity themes have configs,
I'll start working on it soon.
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#9 Post by ttuuxxx »

Tman wrote:. Sakuli will be based on the latest Wary Racy, or Wary with a new xorg and kernel; which is basically the same thing. Target systems will be modern to semi-modern hardware.
If anyone wants to help with compiling apps and drivers, that would be great too.
I would be willing to help with compiling, but a base with the updated kernel/xorg should be made first, basically a alpha version needed so that we would be on the same page. Most drivers need either the kernel or xorg depending on which driver is being compiled. Regular apps don't usually need the updated kernel or xorg.
ttuuxxx

jemimah

#10 Post by jemimah »

ttuuxxx wrote:
jemimah wrote: My main objection to metacity is that it totally lacks configuration options. I guess boring can be good in a WM depending on your perspective - anyway lets build it and see how it goes.
Maybe you didn't find the location of the configs for meta city located in
/root/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml
ttuuxxx
Yeah I guess there are a few things you can change with gconf - but it seems to me it wasn't designed for the user to mess with. I like gconf just about as much as I like the windows registry. :/ However, IceWM doesn't have a user friendly config tool either - so I don't suppose it makes much difference.

If we think carefully about how we package WMs it should be possible to make a window manager switcher that actually works. There's a good deal of complexity there because you've got to store the start and stop commands somewhere and sometimes you use different rox settings or different panels and such for different wms.

01micko

#11 Post by 01micko »

Hi jemimah

Good to see you back.

just as a suggestion you can download the icewm package I built for lupu awhile back from here. It has a simple gtkdialog config tool that may or may not give you some ideas.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

scsijon

#12 Post by scsijon »

welcome back to puppybuildland :D

Can I sugest you work with racy as there a few of us already working on wary variations and reading over the old saluki thread it seems more appropriate. You might also consider it in the planning stages, and this is the time to do so, for Saluki to be a multi-platform build in the future.

Consider baseing with xorg 7.6 in any case, i've found it's not only visably responsive faster, it's a smaller footprint, has lost some of the video problems that have crept into puppy over the years, they just don't seem to be there or have reduced effects (virtual desktop screen overlap and the like).

If you can talk someone into just building window managers, you could use some / one of the small ones from http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/table.html and develop up one of the fast ones(, i've got another two or so url's if you need more :wink: ). It's time we had a 'simple to work with' and 'totally self contained' one. I'd actually like to see someone take on a project of building them all against a single puppy release for a propper comparison, but that's maybe another project for a massachistic stu...

If you can talk one of the serious programmers into helping, ask them to go through the bugs in the earlier puppy threads and work them out of puppy, it's time they dissapeared rather than just worked around!

And as a last, my pet hate is multiple applications that do the same thing in the basic build. I believe we should keep it to a 'mean and lean' minimum of applications, but with the rest still available via the PPM for those with other preferances. And with the Builtin package remover seeming to be working properly it's not that hard to trim later for an individual users taste.

anyway, that's my fifty-cents worth 8), and you can put me on your testers list when their needed

Have fun in any case

scsijon

ttuuxxx

#13 Post by ttuuxxx »

scsijon wrote:welcome back to puppybuildland :D
And as a last, my pet hate is multiple applications that do the same thing in the basic build. I believe we should keep it to a 'mean and lean' minimum of applications, but with the rest still available via the PPM for those with other preferances. And with the Builtin package remover seeming to be working properly it's not that hard to trim later for an individual users taste.

anyway, that's my fifty-cents worth 8), and you can put me on your testers list when their needed

Have fun in any case

scsijon
Hi one of the best things about these builds is changing things with better resource apps that take a few kbs extra space, like replacements for gtkdialog apps, that take large amounts of cpu power and replaced with compiled C apps and example , like lxtask vs Pprocess, or Gcacltool vs all the ugly calculators. I do like having 2 cd/dvd burners in 2.14X Pburn and xfburn, xfburn its just nicer looking, easier to figure out and uses a 100% different backend, but it doesn't have all the burning capabilities of pburn, like it doesn't have multisession, I never use multisession but others do, but it does take a lot less resources, that extends battery life on laptops, basically adding xfce panel, gconf, xfburn, gcalctool, lxtask, metacity, 10+ metacity excellent themes, would add 2-3MB max, for a complete make over,
jemimah did say she wanted the iso 150MB or under, really it should be way under that even if we added gimp, and transmission around 8-9MB.
ttuuxxx

jemimah

#14 Post by jemimah »

scsijon wrote:welcome back to puppybuildland :D

Can I sugest you work with racy as there a few of us already working on wary variations and reading over the old saluki thread it seems more appropriate. You might also consider it in the planning stages, and this is the time to do so, for Saluki to be a multi-platform build in the future.

Consider baseing with xorg 7.6 in any case, i've found it's not only visably responsive faster, it's a smaller footprint, has lost some of the video problems that have crept into puppy over the years, they just don't seem to be there or have reduced effects (virtual desktop screen overlap and the like).

If you can talk someone into just building window managers, you could use some / one of the small ones from http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/table.html and develop up one of the fast ones(, i've got another two or so url's if you need more :wink: ). It's time we had a 'simple to work with' and 'totally self contained' one. I'd actually like to see someone take on a project of building them all against a single puppy release for a propper comparison, but that's maybe another project for a massachistic stu...

If you can talk one of the serious programmers into helping, ask them to go through the bugs in the earlier puppy threads and work them out of puppy, it's time they dissapeared rather than just worked around!

Have fun in any case

scsijon
I strongly favor Racy, and I don't have any desire to build the entire thing from source at this point. If there is someone with expertise in that area that wants to contribute, maybe, but otherwise I don't think such a project can get off the ground easily.

IMHO, there's really not a large number of good window manager options. Most of the lightweight options are not user-friendly, or not complete. There's a reason people keep coming back to jwm, openbox, and icewm.

I am a fan of fast, compiled, full featured, midsize apps. One-app-per-task is great when a good app exists, but sometimes there is no good solution.

Volhout

Great, you're back !!

#15 Post by Volhout »

Jemimah,

It's great that you are back ! I will follow this thread since you stand for quality, and I am still using your earlier puppeee. I hope you can delegate more (hard for an INTJ) and enjoy every single day of this project.

Maybe it is good to define from the start who the intended customer for the project is. Earlier posts refer to 2 window managers, 2 file managers, and those may be valid requests, but computer users will generally settle for one, never swap, so why burden yourself with transitioning between two (unless you like the challenge to figure it out). Like puppeee: I tested all this switching between WM's, and it works amazingly good (compliments) but don't use anything else then openbox.

As a user I am most impressed that I can get soo much performance in such a small package (iso) and use things like Abiword. But as soon as my wife starts using puppy she needs Openoffice/Libreoffice for compatibility with the Win*ows PC's at her work. So I would plead for a seemless upgrade to this bulky package. And she needs printing and support of a photo camera. (my wife is a teacher).

I am not sure whether these things are out of the scope of this project, but I am trying to explain what a typical (my wife) Puppy user would need that is typically not in the puppy iso.

If there is anything I can do to help test your project, please tell me.

Volhout

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#16 Post by Lobster »

It's great that you are back!
John is back
Jemimah is back
Bugman is to blame
. . . it is like old times [joyful sobbing] :roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Tman

#17 Post by Tman »

ttuuxxx,
Jemimah,

Please see this post. http://puppylinux.info/topic.php?id=35

Not sure if we should use my current build as the base or if I should start the woof build again.

My In-progress stuff for Saluki is -> here.
Last edited by Tman on Sun 22 Jan 2012, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#18 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi Tman I rebuilt Barry's Seamonkey package that racy uses and added adblock, new theme, search engines, etc please use the browser package for your woof builds, it took 1.5 days to make it up.
http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/Racy/se ... .2-w52.pet

http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/Racy/se ... _entry.txt

ttuuxxx

Aitch

#19 Post by Aitch »

Hi ttuuxxx
You were one of my missed friends

http://puppylinux.info/topic.php?id=103

Aitch :)

Ray MK

#20 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

First run - very nice

http://puppylinux.info/topic.php?id=118

Extremely fast