Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
OscarTalks

#3381 Post by OscarTalks »

Flippin' 'eck! Sorry to hear that. Their loss I would suggest.
Oscar in England

steve_s

#3382 Post by steve_s »

OscarTalks wrote:Flippin' 'eck! Sorry to hear that. Their loss I would suggest.
Oscar's got that right! 8)

tlchost

xorg

#3383 Post by tlchost »

Is the xorg used in Saluki a later version that one used in Fluppy? I tested Fluppy on 6 laptops today at a retailer...and neigther xorg or vesa worked?

Thanks
Thom

elroy

layoff

#3384 Post by elroy »

Sorry to hear that you've been laid off jemimah. At least you got to see Hawaii :)

aarf

#3385 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:Ok so after all that SAN-retraining travel frenzy my job decided to just lay me off instead.
their huge loss, puppys huge gain.

Jejy69

#3386 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi !

Nice work !

If it's not a secret, I like to know how did you get to show drives on the desktop.
I would do the same for pcmanfm.
I tried with "drive_all" and "rox" in / usr / local / bin, but that's not enough, other files are they concerned ? :?

Thanks & have a nice day !
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

elroy

desktop drives

#3387 Post by elroy »

Jejy69 wrote:...I like to know how did you get to show drives on the desktop.
For the Xfce4 window manager (Saluki's default) rightclick on an empty area of the desktop.
From the context menu choose 'Desktop Settings...'.
Click the 'Icons' tab in the displayed dialog box.
From there you can choose 'Filesystem' and 'Removable Devices'.

DocSalvage

Re: Saluki browser issues

#3388 Post by DocSalvage »

einar wrote:
And on a side note i have now tested Synergy / quicksynergy. Its Awesome. Im using a Saluki 18 test machine at home to controll 2 win7 laptops. it works quick an flawless
Where did you get Synergy from? I'm having trouble finding a .pet.

Geoffrey

Re: Saluki browser issues

#3389 Post by Geoffrey »

DocSalvage wrote:
einar wrote:
And on a side note i have now tested Synergy / quicksynergy. Its Awesome. Im using a Saluki 18 test machine at home to controll 2 win7 laptops. it works quick an flawless
Where did you get Synergy from? I'm having trouble finding a .pet.
Synergy and quicksynergy are in the Saluki package manager or look here http://smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages-saluki/
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Jejy69

#3390 Post by Jejy69 »

Thank you for your answer, but I'm trying another puppy with xfce and I can not get the partitions on my desktop, as does rox & JWM.
I would like, if possible, apply the same method as Saluki.

Therefore, I tried to edit 'rox' and 'drive_all' in / usr / local / bin but this has no effect.

Does lack of other components ?

Thanks !

sakamoto

#3391 Post by sakamoto »

im a newbie puppy user (saluku 021). how do i change the font and size of this ugly 'loading please wait' splash message. i analyzed the whole control panel and was not able find a way of changing it. thanks in advance :D

greengeek

#3392 Post by greengeek »

Jejy69 wrote:Thank you for your answer, but I'm trying another puppy with xfce and I can not get the partitions on my desktop, as does rox & JWM.
In Saluki I used the following:
menu, control panel, desktop, scroll down to "XFCE desktop drive icons"
Of course, I don't know how the control panel actually makes the changes...
It may also be helpful to post the same question on the Puppy NOP 5.2.2 topic as well. It uses xfce also, and has the partitions displayed on the desktop by default. See here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73728

Jejy69

#3393 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello!

Thank you for your answer! I tried, without success, I relied on these changes yet.
But ...
I'll keep looking.

steve_s

#3394 Post by steve_s »

sakamoto wrote:im a newbie puppy user (saluku 021). how do i change the font and size of this ugly 'loading please wait' splash message. i analyzed the whole control panel and was not able find a way of changing it. thanks in advance :D
Good question; i'm in for that answer too. I don't think the font is ugly, but I would like to know how to customize it for sure...

**Edit: I bet it's got something to do with the file /usr/share/pixmaps/loading.xbm (open it with gimp or something) but I don't know what uses it and how to customize it.

**Edit again: I further guess that its the line in /root/.xinitrc that mentions loading.xbm, but I haven't tried it so can't swear to it. So, if someone either wants to modify that line to a different image or wants to modify the image, boot it up and tell us what happens...do it with something you can damage if it screws up though. steve_s claims no responsibility, disclaimer, for lost or damaged files, disclaimer, disclaimer... :wink:

I know gimp opens that image just fine.

battleshooter

#3395 Post by battleshooter »

Thanks for the tip Steve.

I loaded up /usr/share/pixmaps/loading.xbm in Gimp and just deleted the existing loading message replacing it with my own. Rebooted, and it appeared good as gold.

I didn't bother editing .xinitrc because having a file called "loading" seemed logical enough for its purpose, but your theory seems sound if anyone would have need to change the location of the loading splash screen :),
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

jemimah

#3396 Post by jemimah »

I've tried to catch up on added apps to the repo. Let me know if I've missed anything.
[url]http://saluki-linux.com[/url]

Sylvander

#3397 Post by Sylvander »

1. Tried Luki-021.iso
Made a "live" CD-RW that booted OK, and Saluki looked good, and seemed to be working well.
This is on a brand-new low-cost [£245] PC with mobo = ASRock H61M-S.
Dual core Intel Pentium G620T 2.2Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 250GB SATA HDD, DVD-RW.

2. Made the necessary configurations, and rebooted.
Made a lukisave.3fs, and saved 3 SFS files, all to sda5/saluki folder.

3. At reboot, got the warning = "Machine Check Error", and the PC went into a reboot loop. :(
I'd never seen that error before on any PC.

4. Prepared to invest some effort to get Saluki working, provided it isn't a major task, because I have working already...Slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI, Racy-5.3, Fatdog64-600rc. :D
Is there an easy fix?

ICPUG

#3398 Post by ICPUG »

Hmmm - Not sure I'd blame Saluki for Machine Check Error. A quick google came up with:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129838

Somebody else had an ASRock mobo on that thread ...

steve_s

#3399 Post by steve_s »

battleshooter wrote:Thanks for the tip Steve.

I loaded up /usr/share/pixmaps/loading.xbm in Gimp and just deleted the existing loading message replacing it with my own. Rebooted, and it appeared good as gold.

I didn't bother editing .xinitrc because having a file called "loading" seemed logical enough for its purpose, but your theory seems sound if anyone would have need to change the location of the loading splash screen :),
Sweet!

Yeah, I couldn't wait, so I tried both. You can edit that image, but it needs to be the same format and i was only able to get a black and white image working. But I may have to come up with some variances and post them here.

Also editing /root/.xinitrc works, just by changing the name of the file/pointing it to the new file you may have created.

Finally, in xfce one can change the boot 'splash' image. You'll notice that if you run xfce4-session-settings (pretty sure that is the one) one of the tabs is 'splash' and you can change that as you want as well. It is set to 'none' but you'll notice that jemimah has customized the mouse boot image (customize button) and picked a saluki logo/icon. You can of course pick your own image and change background colors and all kinds of things.

Combining the splash variances and the loading.xbm image you can make one seriously modified, custom variation if you want. 8)

Sylvander

#3400 Post by Sylvander »

ICPUG wrote:Not sure I'd blame Saluki for Machine Check Error.
The one-and-ONLY time I EVER get that error...
Is AFTER the 1st boot of Saluki...
When I reboot for the 1st time...
And after making the lukisave file...
When it attempts the 2nd boot using the lukisave and 3 SFS files in the folder, in the root folder, on the ext3 partition [sda5].

Otherwise, this brand-new hardware is working flawlessly.
In particular with Slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI.