Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pemasu

#1756 Post by pemasu »

Mavrothal has followed the aufs3 udba=reval mailings.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... aufs-users

All started with these posts about: Remount command with option udba=reval is hanging:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux. ... .user/3744

I have noticed the problem addressed there but I didnt know the fixing patch has been applied to the latest aufs 3.2 version which has been released. Cut from aufs mailing list:
> > By the way, I am going to release the new version of aufs which contain the patch I've sent. I know the problem is not solved yet, but you can also try the new version.

I have tested with kernel 3.2.9 and your new AUFS release. Now the
remount times are good again.
Here with "find /usr":
# mount / -o remount,udba=notify; find /usr -type f &>/dev/null; time
mount / -o remount,udba=reval
real 0m0.196s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.030s
And with "find /":
# mount / -o remount,udba=notify; find / -type f &>/dev/null; time mount
/ -o remount,udba=reval
real 0m0.301s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.107s
/usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh has this for aufs:

Code: Select all

#now re-evaluate all the layers...
 if [ "`lsmod | grep '^aufs' `" != "" ];then #100426
  busybox mount -t aufs -o remount,udba=reval unionfs / #remount with faster evaluation mode.
  [ $? -ne 0 ] && logger -s -t "installpkg.sh" "Failed to remount aufs / with udba=reval"
 else
  mount -t unionfs -o remount,incgen unionfs /
 fi
 sync
fi
I suppose that recompiling the 3.2.8 kernel with this latest released aufs 3.2 would be good idea. I will start today.
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 12 Mar 2012, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1757 Post by pemasu »

Kernel-3.2.8-saluki has been recompiled by using latest aufs 3.2 version. No other changes.
Aufs3-util should be compiled using latest git also.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Saluki/k ... ixed-aufs/

scabz

#1758 Post by scabz »

i have one problem .thumbnails does not survive a reboot.
the issue is i go to a folder with pictures in it then saluki caches the thumbnails then i close the folder and reopen thumbnails are cached.
i reboot saluki and try folder again thumbnails are gone and have to be recached.

i have some folders with a extreme amount of pictures in them it takes a long time to look through these folders without cache working properly.

jemimah

#1759 Post by jemimah »

pemasu wrote:Kernel-3.2.8-saluki has been recompiled by using latest aufs 3.2 version. No other changes.
Aufs3-util should be compiled using latest git also.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Saluki/k ... ixed-aufs/
Cool. I'll use the new one for the next release.

jemimah

#1760 Post by jemimah »

scabz wrote:i have one problem .thumbnails does not survive a reboot.
the issue is i go to a folder with pictures in it then saluki caches the thumbnails then i close the folder and reopen thumbnails are cached.
i reboot saluki and try folder again thumbnails are gone and have to be recached.

i have some folders with a extreme amount of pictures in them it takes a long time to look through these folders without cache working properly.
The snapmerge script omits them to speed up saving.

If you want you can edit /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy.

Go to line 135 and change

grep -v -E -i '\.thumbnails|\.cache|\.trash|trash/|\.part$'
to

grep -v -E -i '\.cache|\.trash|trash/|\.part$'

scabz

#1761 Post by scabz »

jemimah wrote:
scabz wrote:i have one problem .thumbnails does not survive a reboot.

The snapmerge script omits them to speed up saving.

If you want you can edit /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy.

Go to line 135 and change

grep -v -E -i '\.thumbnails|\.cache|\.trash|trash/|\.part$'
to

grep -v -E -i '\.cache|\.trash|trash/|\.part$'
Thanks a lot jemimah.

magerlab

#1762 Post by magerlab »

I want to try grub4dos, but don't know what will happen:). Is it possible to install grub4dos in place of old grub? What are the benefits of grub4dos to compare with old grub

2byte

#1763 Post by 2byte »

jemimah,

Installing the ati fglrx driver is still failing here. First I installed QT from PPM. With the ati pet from PPM when restarting xwin after modprobing and aticonfig, X fails to start every time. Running xorgwizard and choosing fglrx boots to a desktop, but always with the vesa driver.

Here's where it gets really strange. With QT installed, devx loaded and an otherwise new clean save file I attempted to install the proprietary ati-xx.run which has always succeeded with the other Pups I have on this rig. It brought up the installer gui and seemed to install just fine. Dropped down to the command line and did the aticonfig --initial and that went normally too. Upon reboot I can see the driver is being used now and I try to change the screen res with amdcccle. The config gui shows the current preferred res as 4000 x 4000 and the refresh at 170, with no other choices available. The screen isn't running at those figures (I wouldn't be able to see it) but nevertheless I don't know what the heck it is really doing. Video acceleration is not working for sure! I repeated both the pet and proprietary installs two more times with a fresh Saluki frugal and save file with the same results.

I'm stuck. Is there an optional xorg or whatever pet that I should be installing first? Other drivers interfering?

pemasu

#1764 Post by pemasu »

Ati proprietary driver pet was manually patched, kernel has changed since that compile.
I would wait until Saluki stabilizes with kernel. Aufs 3.2 needs testing before it is time to really go for third party kernel modules...like graphics drivers.
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 12 Mar 2012, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

2byte

#1765 Post by 2byte »

Thanks pemasu

The ati proprietary *.run installer (not the pet) compiles it's kernel driver at install time, but I will wait until things settle down. Maybe the kernel headers were mismatched or something.

pemasu

#1766 Post by pemasu »

If ati installer *.run works now...it means that there has been update and the installer is now 3.2.8 kernel compliant. It wasnt when I did run *.run ati installer.

jemimah

#1767 Post by jemimah »

magerlab wrote:I want to try grub4dos, but don't know what will happen:). Is it possible to install grub4dos in place of old grub? What are the benefits of grub4dos to compare with old grub
The main benefits are that it "just works" with frugal installs and full installs, on any filesystem (well ext*, vfat, and NTFS).

You should be able to overwrite a grub install with a grub4dos install. It'll save a backup copy of the mbr in case you need to restore grub.

pemasu

#1768 Post by pemasu »

Grub4dos also searches every frugal install folder in usb and hdd and creates automatically working menu entry for them and you get windows OS menu entries also.
When I boot with usb hdd, I get all above menu entries. Not bad.

Tman

#1769 Post by Tman »

Jemimah, (or anyone else who knows)

I was going to try and compile Kazehakase Web Browser, which can use either Mozilla Gecko or WebKit rendering engines, but it requires a newer gtk. :(

How do I add QtWebKit to the PKG-CONFIG_PATH environmental variable? I've been trying to compile uzbl web browser, but it can't find webkit-1.0 when I run make. Does that mean, I have to replace "webkit-1.0" with "QtWebKit-4.9" in the makefile?

There is no DOTconfigure file for it..only a makefile.

There is a thread for Uzbl here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71665

EDIT: okay, I found where to add the environmental variable..

jemimah

#1770 Post by jemimah »

jemimah wrote:
antiloquax wrote:I have been working on a pet for Python3 with Pygame. I have a problem in that if I include SDL_image, I get an error when I build. But if I leave it out, Pygame can only import .bmp images.
I did get it to work in Racy 5.2.2 - just need to remember how!
I think the package is bad. I'll upload a new one tonight.
Ok, I think I've fixed this. Update the ppm then download the packages again.

jemimah

#1771 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:Jemimah, (or anyone else who knows)

I was going to try and compile Kazehakase Web Browser, which can use either Mozilla Gecko or WebKit rendering engines, but it requires a newer gtk. :(

How do I add QtWebKit to the PKG-CONFIG_PATH environmental variable? I've been trying to compile uzbl web browser, but it can't find webkit-1.0 when I run make. Does that mean, I have to replace "webkit-1.0" with "QtWebKit-4.9" in the makefile?

There is no DOTconfigure file for it..only a makefile.

There is a thread for Uzbl here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71665

EDIT: okay, I found where to add the environmental variable..
Wait, does it want webkitgtk or qt-webkit? webkit-1.0 refers to webkitgtk I think.

If you install webkitgtk-shared and the webkitgtk-shared_DEV, it should find it.

Tman

#1772 Post by Tman »

I have attached the source file for Uzbl Web Browser if anyone is interested.

Tman

#1773 Post by Tman »

jemimah wrote: Wait, does it want webkitgtk or qt-webkit? webkit-1.0 refers to webkitgtk I think.

If you install webkitgtk-shared and the webkitgtk-shared_DEV, it should find it.
It wants webkit-1.0. Thanks, I will look for the appropriate pets now.

NICE..it worked..now testing the pet...

sszindian

#1774 Post by sszindian »

Jemimah:

Saluki-014 is looking very good... no problems in all tests so far... more to go!

For the fun of it, I tried installing a fresh Saluki-014 on my old T22 IBM Notebook (512MB RAM - 15-inch screen) Surprisingly, it loaded without a hitch, finding the right screen resolution and connecting eth0 automatically. First test was the Internet... madori loaded up and came on line pretty fast for an old box. Tried connecting to a site... it connected however, after about half-a-minute it 'dropped' Medori like a hot potato just 'bang' and it was gone! Tried both with and without flash, several times same results.

Now I realize Saluki is not meant for older machines but... it would be nice if they could handle it OK.

This same 'Drop Browser' happens on this T22 box also with every version of Racy (using Seamonkey) from 5.2.2 thru 5.2.2.9 (I tested them all) so it appears to me there must be some little snippet of code (maybe in Woof) that is causing this little devil to not work. 'If' by chance you happen to run across a fix... I would appreciate knowing as I do believe Saluki would be a great addition also for older boxes. So far, Exprimo - Luci (Three-Headed-Dog) - All run without this issue using FireFox in Exprimo and Iron in Luci both with the 3.X Kernels so Kernel's are NOT the issue.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

antiloquax

Python 3.1.4 with Pygame .pet

#1775 Post by antiloquax »

Here's my .pet for Python 3.1.4 with Pygame.
No menu, but typing "python3" or "idle3" at the console will take you to the Python prompt or shell.

I've not included the Pygame "examples" folder - hope that is okay.

I plan to have a go at pygame for the Saluki version of Python2.7, maybe tomorrow.

You need tk, tcl and all the SDL bits. I have put them in dependencies list (hope I did it right!)

Python 3.1.4
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.