Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
shelezyaka

#2431 Post by shelezyaka »

smokey01 wrote:
DaveS wrote:Thanks Smokey... got it all working including Thunar custom action and CAN confirm 17-18 Delta is a bust. 15 - 16 worked smoothly but created a file called newfile.iso
I think that's because of the filename pattern is not recognised by xdelta_gui. For example:

luki17-18.delta won't work but luki-017.iso___luki-018.iso.delta will.

If you want to make a delta file simply select two ISO files then press generate. The delta file will be created with the correct filename.

Cheers.
When I did own a delta file Saluki017 >> 018, then it is not only the names do not match (they can be corrected, it is not critical), but the size and md5 sum. The conclusion is - or used to create the delta are not those that are in the ISO repo, or something else. All we humans can all make a mistake.

jemimah

Re: PPM; search pet descriptions too

#2432 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote: I think it's simpler to just change

Code: Select all

FNDENTRIES="`cat /root/.packages/Packages-${ONEREPO}| cut -f1 -d\| | grep -i "$entryPATTERN"`"
to

FNDENTRIES="`cat /root/.packages/Packages-${ONEREPO}| cut -f1,10 -d\| | grep -i "$entryPATTERN"`"
I have this change for the next release.
Sure, but it also results in cryptic pet list which is not very useful if you are not a seasoned puppy or at least linux, user.

Saluki did improve PPM and is probably too close to release even for the above change, but Saluki2 needs another look at PPM and pets.

Certainly better package descriptions and maybe a second PPM field that descriptions could be search with 2 or 3 words.

Package management is one of the cornerstones of any distro, and historically a weak point for Puppy.
But Saluki can(/is) change(ing) that!
You can fix the descriptions with a tiny change also.

echo "$FNDENTRIES" | cut -f 1,10 -d '|' > /tmp/filterpkgs.results
becomes

echo "$FNDENTRIES" > /tmp/filterpkgs.results
I have made this change for the next release

shinobar

sfs_load-1.9.1

#2433 Post by shinobar »

sfs_load-1.9.1. Hopefully more stable and usable.
# 9 Apr 2012 v1.9.1: clean up whiteout once for load, busybox umount and not do 'losetup -d'(jemimah), where to mount(pup_ro?), always register EXTRASFSLIST, no wide search for full path
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=195
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

mavrothal

#2434 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote: You can fix the descriptions with a tiny change also.

becomes

Simple :oops:
or

FNDENTRIES="`cat /root/.packages/Packages-${ONEREPO} | cut -f1 -d\| | grep -i "$entryPATTERN"`"
to

FNDENTRIES="`cat /root/.packages/Packages-${ONEREPO} | grep -i "$entryPATTERN"`"
which is more inline with woof
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

Re: sfs_load-1.9.1

#2435 Post by jemimah »

shinobar wrote:sfs_load-1.9.1. Hopefully more stable and usable.
# 9 Apr 2012 v1.9.1: clean up whiteout once for load, busybox umount and not do 'losetup -d'(jemimah), where to mount(pup_ro?), always register EXTRASFSLIST, no wide search for full path
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=195
Thanks! How stable are the other new features in 1.9? I'm hoping the next release or so will be a final and I'm unsure if I should upgrade or stick with my patched 1.3.

jemimah

#2436 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote: You can fix the descriptions with a tiny change also.

becomes

Simple :oops:
or

FNDENTRIES="`cat /root/.packages/Packages-${ONEREPO} | cut -f1 -d\| | grep -i "$entryPATTERN"`"
to

FNDENTRIES="`cat /root/.packages/Packages-${ONEREPO} | grep -i "$entryPATTERN"`"
which is more inline with woof
It's definitely not good to grep the whole dbentry or you match on dependencies.

shinobar

#2437 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:How stable are the other new features in 1.9? I'm hoping the next release or so will be a final and I'm unsure if I should upgrade or stick with my patched 1.3.
Yeh, sfs_load-1.3 + your patch works nicely. But the sfs_load-1.3, due to its another bug, may consume loop devices rapidly in some case.

# losetup
/dev/loop0: 0 /mnt/tmpfs/puppy_squeeze_5.X.3.2.14.sfs
/dev/loop1: 0 /mnt/sda3/poedit-1.4.2-4.sfs
/dev/loop2: 0 /mnt/sda3/jre-1.6.31-1.sfs
/dev/loop3: 0 /mnt/sda3/gimp-2.6.11-squeeze-2.sfs
/dev/loop4: 0 /mnt/sda3/gimp-2.6.11-squeeze-2.sfs
/dev/loop5: 0 /mnt/sda3/gimp-2.6.11-squeeze-2.sfs
/dev/loop6: 0 /mnt/sda3/jre-1.6.31-1.sfs
It is not easy to reproduce...:
  1. Load sfs1, sfs2, sfs3.
  2. Unload sfs1, sfs2 (keep sfs3), then load again sfs2 and sfs1.
  3. And so on, with multiple sfs's.
Tested sfs_load-1.3 with jemimah's patch on the pemasu's dpup exprmo with 3.2.14 kernel.

The sfs_load-1.9.1 does minimize the loop device consumptions due to the duplication seen above. (Not perfect. Anyway, it is like the Mad Tea Party.) :lol:
Last edited by shinobar on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 15:07, edited 6 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

mavrothal

#2438 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote: It's definitely not good to grep the whole dbentry or you match on dependencies.
Good point. Though using descriptive terms, usually you do get relevant entries that you'd missed if only searched in name and description (given the minimal puppy descriptions).
Searching for pet names though I agree you'll probably get too many wrong results.

What about this addition then

--- a/usr/local/petget/findnames.sh	2012-03-30 17:23:02.000000000 +0300
+++ b/usr/local/petget/findnames.sh	2012-04-09 18:10:53.636823249 +0300
@@ -11,7 +11,12 @@
 . /root/.packages/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS #has PKGS_SPECS_TABLE.
 . /root/.packages/DISTRO_PET_REPOS #has PET_REPOS, PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER

-entryPATTERN="`echo -n "$ENTRY1" | sed -e 's%\\-%\\\\-%g' -e 's%\\.%\\\\.%g' -e 's%\\*%.*%g'`"
+if [ "$ENTRY1" = "" ] ; then
+ exit 0
+fi
+
+entryPATTERN1="`echo -n "$ENTRY1" | sed -e 's%\\-%\\\\-%g' -e 's%\\.%\\\\.%g' -e 's%\\*%.*%g' |awk '{print $1}'`"
+entryPATTERN2="`echo -n "$ENTRY1" | sed -e 's%\\-%\\\\-%g' -e 's%\\.%\\\\.%g' -e 's%\\*%.*%g' |awk '{print $2}'`"

CURRENTREPO="`cat /tmp/petget_filterversion`" #search here first.
 REPOLIST="${CURRENTREPO} `cat /tmp/petget_active_repo_list | grep -v "$CURRENTREPO" | tr '\n' ' '`"
@@ -19,7 +24,11 @@
 FNDIT=no
 for ONEREPO in $REPOLIST
 do
- FNDENTRIES="`cat /root/.packages/Packages-${ONEREPO}| cut -f1 -d\| | grep -i "$entryPATTERN"`"
+ if [ "$entryPATTERN2" != "" ] ; then
+  FNDENTRIES="`cat /root/.packages/Packages-${ONEREPO} | cut -f1,10 -d\| |grep -i "$entryPATTERN1" | grep -i "$entryPATTERN2"`"
+ else
+  FNDENTRIES="`cat /root/.packages/Packages-${ONEREPO} | cut -f1,10 -d\| |grep -i "$entryPATTERN1"`"
+ fi
  if [ "$FNDENTRIES" != "" ];then
   FIRSTCHAR="`echo "$FNDENTRIES" | cut -c 1 | tr '\n' ' ' | sed -e 's% %%g'`"
   #write these just in case needed...
@@ -30,7 +39,7 @@
   #echo "ALL" > /tmp/petget_filtercategory
   echo "$ONEREPO" > /tmp/petget_filterversion #ex: slackware-12.2-official
   #this is read when update TREE1 in pkg_chooser.sh...
-  echo "$FNDENTRIES" | cut -f 1,10 -d '|' > /tmp/filterpkgs.results
+  echo "$FNDENTRIES" > /tmp/filterpkgs.results
   FNDIT=yes
   break
  fi
Would allow searches for "text editor" "sound plugin" "media player" etc and should not effcet the basic function
Any shortcomings?

Ideally you could have 2 search fields one for pet names only and one for description (like other package managers).
This would mess up the layout though unless the "find pet" button is a drop down menu (search name-search names and descriptions. A la synaptics)
Last edited by mavrothal on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 15:11, edited 4 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

aarf

#2439 Post by aarf »

network status doesn't do anything. using wifi only.
Attachments
Screenshot-4.png
(13.02 KiB) Downloaded 781 times

mavrothal

DVD issues(?)

#2440 Post by mavrothal »

Trier to run a mac/pc formatted DVD that had data and videos. Oggle player opened but the DVD did not mount nor the /mnt/<label> mount point was created.
xerror.logs has nothing and kernel says: “ sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive
Last edited by mavrothal on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

shevan

#2441 Post by shevan »

pcsxr works fine

Saluki becomes much better with every day. Thanks!

jemimah

#2442 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote: Would allow searches for "text editor" "sound plugin" "media player" etc and should not effcet the basic function
Any shortcomings?

Ideally you could have 2 search fields one for pet names only and one for description (like other package managers).
This would mess up the layout though unless the "find pet" button is a drop down menu (search name-search names and descriptions. A la synaptics)
We can do something like that when it's possible to search for something and get too many results. There's just not enough pets right now to warrant more complexity.

jemimah

#2443 Post by jemimah »

aarf wrote:network status doesn't do anything. using wifi only.
Thanks!

jemimah

#2444 Post by jemimah »

shinobar wrote:
jemimah wrote:How stable are the other new features in 1.9? I'm hoping the next release or so will be a final and I'm unsure if I should upgrade or stick with my patched 1.3.
Yeh, sfs_load-1.3 + your patch works nicely. But the sfs_load-1.3, due to its another bug, may consume loop devices rapidly in some case.

# losetup
/dev/loop0: 0 /mnt/tmpfs/puppy_squeeze_5.X.3.2.14.sfs
/dev/loop1: 0 /mnt/sda3/poedit-1.4.2-4.sfs
/dev/loop2: 0 /mnt/sda3/jre-1.6.31-1.sfs
/dev/loop3: 0 /mnt/sda3/gimp-2.6.11-squeeze-2.sfs
/dev/loop4: 0 /mnt/sda3/gimp-2.6.11-squeeze-2.sfs
/dev/loop5: 0 /mnt/sda3/gimp-2.6.11-squeeze-2.sfs
/dev/loop6: 0 /mnt/sda3/jre-1.6.31-1.sfs
It is not easy to reproduce...:
  1. Load sfs1, sfs2, sfs3.
  2. Unload sfs1, sfs2 (keep sfs3), then load again sfs2 and sfs1.
  3. And so on, with multiple sfs's.
Tested sfs_load-1.3 with jemimah's patch on the pemasu's dpup exprmo with 3.2.14 kernel.

The sfs_load-1.9.1 does minimize the loop device consumptions due to the duplication seen above. (Not perfect. Anyway, it is like the Mad Tea Party.) :lol:
Ok. I will go with 1.9 in the next release.

gcmartin

#2445 Post by gcmartin »

This question is solely about the Custom Builder's use
I want to "Master" a new version of Saluki with all of the system features of the original ISO AND the 3 PETs that are in a file-system folder.

Scenario
I have a running Saluki booted from Live media. It has installed PETs from the Saluki Repo. The 3 PETs; namely JRE, SAMBA 5.12 and Seamonkey 2.7.2-Saluki were download into a separate folder. They were installed. The PC was rebooted, allowing the system to save the session to the multi-session CD. Upon reboot, the system was checked to insure that the 3 packages were operational.

Caveat
When custom building the system, it will be running off-line (i.e. no connection to the Internet)!

Question
Can the Saluki Custom Builder be used to create a Master of Saluki and the 3 PETs in a folder, while off-line?

Thanks in advance for all of your good work for us

gcmartin

Custom Builder loop

#2446 Post by gcmartin »

On Custom Builder

Problem
If I have a folder mounted on a LAN resource, that contains 2 PETs and 1 SFS, the Builder is hanging when it attempts to handle the SFS in the folder. It goes into a never-ending loop. When viewing the folder after killing the Custom Builder, I see a folder for the SFS it was working on. Subsequent restarting of the Custom Builder, I need to sequentially progress to the same point ONLY to have the save thing re-occur. I have also allowed it to run for several hours and it never progresses tothe expected next step.

Hope this helps

DaveS

#2447 Post by DaveS »

Is the re-mastering system used in Saluki REALLY an advance?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jim1911

#2448 Post by Jim1911 »

DaveS wrote:Is the re-mastering system used in Saluki REALLY an advance?
IMO, yes, it's faster and more flexible as well as being easy to use.

jemimah

#2449 Post by jemimah »

gcmartin wrote:This question is solely about the Custom Builder's use
I want to "Master" a new version of Saluki with all of the system features of the original ISO AND the 3 PETs that are in a file-system folder.

Scenario
I have a running Saluki booted from Live media. It has installed PETs from the Saluki Repo. The 3 PETs; namely JRE, SAMBA 5.12 and Seamonkey 2.7.2-Saluki were download into a separate folder. They were installed. The PC was rebooted, allowing the system to save the session to the multi-session CD. Upon reboot, the system was checked to insure that the 3 packages were operational.

Caveat
When custom building the system, it will be running off-line (i.e. no connection to the Internet)!

Question
Can the Saluki Custom Builder be used to create a Master of Saluki and the 3 PETs in a folder, while off-line?

Thanks in advance for all of your good work for us
Custom builder is not a remastering tool. It wipes every application from the system and starts fresh. (Think of it as woof-lite). So you need to get pets to feed it from somewhere. If you only give it 3 pets, than you'll end up with a system with only 3 applications.

There is a traditional remastering tool in the repo, you might want to use that if all you need is to add a few things.

gcmartin

#2450 Post by gcmartin »

jemimah wrote: ... Custom builder is not a remastering tool. It wipes every application from the system and starts fresh. (Think of it as woof-lite). So you need to get pets to feed it from somewhere. I...
OK, I now understand that. From looking at the manner of its User Interface and structure, it appears (almost) identical in its approach for the Remaster tool.

Maybe in the future, a single, expandalbe-retractable screen for generation can differenciate the Custom Builder screen's similarity with the Remaster approach. Maybe even having an option for a configuration file.

NOW, for my next question
Let's suppose that I have Saluki runnig. And, let's suppose I want to make my own version of Saluki. Is there a "bucket of Saluki PETs" which can be used as a jump start for recreating a Saluki?

How would one do this?

Thanks in advance