Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
DaveS

Re: Saluki browser issues

#2626 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote:
einar wrote:I am and my brother are running saluki 19 and we have a problem with the chrome sfs. On both test machines the chrome....sfs is gets a fatal failed to mount..... has the wrong permissions.

Would be nice to have Chrome back :)

My bad. I was doing some cleanup and deleted the wrong sfs. Reuploading chrome now.
Well the problem persists. In 19, sound setting saving is borked, it was ok before. Midori is borked, it was ok before.... Firefox goes steadily slower and slower.... why does Linux have to be so hard?
BTW, my full install of '17 is sweet :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gcmartin

#2627 Post by gcmartin »

Using a Live media Saluki19. I have tested the Custom Builder to completion where an adrive_lukixxx.sfs was created upon completion.

Scenario 1
The completion gives instructions on how to use the "adrive....sfs" for a "frugal" use..

Problem, (but not a bug)
  • How should the Custom Builder be used for creating an ISO once this "adrive....sfs" is saved, at any point in the future?
This is grey-area for me. There seems to be a discrepancy with what is a dependency and whether a needed library is a dependency. The Custom Builder pics below show that the Custom Builder on one hand is saying all is well, but if you ask it to verify "all is well" it comes back and says "all is NOT well!" ... ???

Problem
  • Can the Custom Builder resolve this problem without manual (external to the Custom Builder) research and intervention guess-work?
  • Since proper lib presence is key to proper subsystem/application operations, should the Custom Builder be stopping for these status messages... shouldn't it necessarily launch the check for missing libraries for all users without asking?
Note: Judging from the messages JRE-JAVA needs attention in Saluki as well as LIbreOffice. I am aware of the work of @Pemasu & @01Micko on latest LIbreOffice V3.50 if this will help in any way.
Attachments
Dependency Requirements MET.png
Custom Builder dependencies met. Should I check further???
(11.49 KiB) Downloaded 849 times
Missing Libs_BIG.png
The libs are missing. Can the Custom Builder assist in locating these for addressing the PETs and SFSs gotten from the Saluki Repo?
(146.18 KiB) Downloaded 861 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 17 Apr 2012, 19:42, edited 13 times in total.

einar

MD5 check sums

#2628 Post by einar »

Is the MD5 Check sum of the kernel source 3.28.sfs correct ?

its listed as :kernel_sources-3.2.8-ski.sfs-md5sum.txt e854ae44ba7974d640f04fd180dc92e2

i have downloaded the kernel source 2 times and get

A672E9046EA2BB07691EAA0ABC47BC67 *kernel_sources-3.2.8-ski (1).sfs
A672E9046EA2BB07691EAA0ABC47BC67 *kernel_sources-3.2.8-ski.sfs

einar

#2629 Post by einar »

jemimah wrote:
einar wrote: Third and this is plea :) It would be nice since we are closing in on the release to have a working Ati/AMD driver pet/sfs. I would make one myself I could. and btw Thank you Billtoo and Pemasu for the Nvidia Pet/SFS.
I can't do this since I don't have the hardware. If making the actual pet is a problem, someone might compile and install it, then compress their save file and send it to me and I can take a look and see if I can update the old ati pet.
I have problems with the ati driver. I have checked the md5 sums on saluki 19, the devx and the kernel source.

i can sh amd.run the installer starts and finishes but complains about somthing is wrong. I check the fglrx-install .log and it says that : Failed to compile kernel module

I do the aticonfig --initial anyways and reboots. I think a driver loads since i get a desktop. The Ati catalyst software is working and i can setup a second screen trough the HDMI port. But with single display and multi display moving a window is choppy / and slow. You can actualy see it renders the borders :)

I checked the vblank_mode=0 glxgears and thats not working.

This is now miles over my head, i have no clue how ti fix this.
plz help :)

Best regards

Einar

mavrothal

#2630 Post by mavrothal »

Out of curiosity, why init.d/fuse is in /sbin? :?
leftover? magic?...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Geoffrey

#2631 Post by Geoffrey »

dawg wrote:
jemimah wrote:
einar wrote:I am and my brother are running saluki 19 and we have a problem with the chrome sfs. On both test machines the chrome....sfs is gets a fatal failed to mount..... has the wrong permissions.
As of 019 I'm having the same problem with Lazarus-0.9.30.0-fpc-2.4.2.sfs. It worked fine in 018.
Any ideas/suggestions?
I don't see that version in the package manager, I tried lazarus-0.9.30.4RC2-0_fpc-2.6.0-0.sfs and it appears to be working

shelezyaka

#2632 Post by shelezyaka »

jemimah wrote:
Sage wrote:
I've uploaded it to the repo.
What a gem you are! Danke.

A bit odd? I know I'm not supposed to rely on FULL installation, but long experience shows that it invariably works. It did with v.19 on first boot of FULL -everything operated correctly.
Subsequently, it plonked me at the CLI instead of running xwin.
When I did xwin manually, the NIC was absent, Couldn't call it up with Frisbee or SNS. Had to load it with Dougal's routine. It worked. Hard reset - NIC settings saved and working but still requires xwin every time.
Confirmed. Apparently not clearing /tmp on shutdown causes major issues for a full install.
Open the / etc / rc.d / rc.shutdown find the line number 1171 and delete the comment.
Now the folder / tmp will be cleaned.

dawg

#2633 Post by dawg »

Geoffrey wrote:
dawg wrote:
jemimah wrote:
As of 019 I'm having the same problem with Lazarus-0.9.30.0-fpc-2.4.2.sfs. It worked fine in 018.
Any ideas/suggestions?
I don't see that version in the package manager, I tried lazarus-0.9.30.4RC2-0_fpc-2.6.0-0.sfs and it appears to be working
So I need to download the newer one for this, then... Well, alright. Thanks.
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

dawg

#2634 Post by dawg »

dawg wrote: Another annoyance: when installing new PETs (not very big ones), the savefile space fills up somewhat exponentially and only gets freed again to a more sane size upon reboot.
I looked in /tmp but couldn't find anything "interesting".
The same goes for adding SFSes! This is new behaviour...
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

aarf

#2635 Post by aarf »

dawg wrote:And also a question that's been kind of nagging me since the very beginning: what is SA-LUKI, anyway? What does it mean or stand for?
The first association I get is "salivate". Anyhow, I kind of dislike it, but maybe that's just me. :)
Saluki is a dawg. Google is a search engine.

elroy

Lazarus.sfs troubles

#2636 Post by elroy »

dawg wrote:As of 019 I'm having the same problem with Lazarus-0.9.30.0-fpc-2.4.2.sfs. It worked fine in 018.
Any ideas/suggestions?
As Geoffrey pointed out, the lazarus-0.9.30.4RC2-0_fpc-2.6.0-0.sfs works with 019.

I've made a SFS for the latest stable releases of Lazarus and the Free Pascal Compiler: lazarus-0.9.30.4_fpc-2.6.0. You can download the SFS and md5 here - http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/elroy/sfs/

It also works on 019. However, it does not contain the cross-compiler for creating Windows binaries. But neither does the SFS in the Saluki package manager.

Sage

#2637 Post by Sage »

Open the / etc / rc.d / rc.shutdown find the line number 1171 and delete the comment.
Thanks for that. I just opened /tmp and deleted everything, directories and files. There was a lot in there so didn't expect it to work - it did, though.
As for the code mod., guess that's one for our angel.
Strange that no-one has jumped up to help with the workload, following Jemimah's request? I would if I could - I have no skills in that area, only do DNA coding!

mavrothal

#2638 Post by mavrothal »

Sage wrote: Strange that no-one has jumped up to help with the workload, following Jemimah's request? I would if I could - I have no skills in that area, only do DNA coding!
Jemimah's request is not the first one.

Sustained community support and development, requires collaborative tools and inclusive mentality that repetitively have been struck down as, "not the puppy way".
Is very hard to change that and do development, support and documentation when the "guidelines", code and the reasoning behind it, is only in one person's head/computer.
Even the smallest of the distros have a 3-4 person core, that are in sync on "how, where and why", to be viable for more than few months.

As for the "professional" website, in addition to the technical skills it also requires the above to be meaningful.

The problem is that all these take time "away" from development, so is a vicious circle.
But hopefully, I'm just plain wrong!
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Sage

#2639 Post by Sage »

"not the puppy way".
Yes I do realise that the IPR resides substantially in one person's brain, but that there are a few trusted and willing developers. Sadly, many (most?) lone-developer distros eventually disappear on account of waning interest/gainful employ elsewhere/lack of resources/visit from the guys in white coats!
Indeed it is a vicious circle. Question is, how do we advise Jemimah? Her talents are legendary, but she asks/needs some assistance.

shelezyaka

#2640 Post by shelezyaka »

These changes have made ​​the most Jemimah. I do not understand why.

Code: Select all

82   #120409 experimenting with minit, i discovered "rm -rf /tmp/*" is killing mingetty. initrd.gz wipes it, have added code to wipe for full hd install at bootup...
My program works with the modem uses for flags directory / tmp.
Not yet corrected the modem did not work.

dawg

Re: Lazarus.sfs troubles

#2641 Post by dawg »

aarf wrote:
dawg wrote:And also a question that's been kind of nagging me since the very beginning: what is SA-LUKI, anyway? What does it mean or stand for?
The first association I get is "salivate". Anyhow, I kind of dislike it, but maybe that's just me. :)
Saluki is a dawg. Google is a search engine.
I'm sure I've seen the breed before, but the name, inspite of its "unusualness", must've escaped me. Oh well, we learn something new (or in fact very old) every day. :) Thanks.
elroy wrote:
dawg wrote:As of 019 I'm having the same problem with Lazarus-0.9.30.0-fpc-2.4.2.sfs. It worked fine in 018.
Any ideas/suggestions?
As Geoffrey pointed out, the lazarus-0.9.30.4RC2-0_fpc-2.6.0-0.sfs works with 019.

I've made a SFS for the latest stable releases of Lazarus and the Free Pascal Compiler: lazarus-0.9.30.4_fpc-2.6.0. You can download the SFS and md5 here - http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/elroy/sfs/

It also works on 019. However, it does not contain the cross-compiler for creating Windows binaries. But neither does the SFS in the Saluki package manager.
Thanks, both of these do work on 019. Not so much for Slacko (5.3.1), though, but it's a Saluki thread, so that doesn't really matter here.

Puppyt

#2642 Post by Puppyt »

@ jemimah and crew,
Earlier today I 'dismembered' the ISO for the key files and did a manual frugal install of Saluki 19, on my Lenovo T60 laptop (dual core, 2GHz with 2GB RAM).
The MD5 checked out fine, but some weird stuff was happening with persistence in Frisbee and panel settings (i.e., I really love multiple workspaces on a lappie). Very strangely, nothing was staying resident despite dozens of reboots/restarts.

Anyway, I love the look battleshooter has given Saluki http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 582#617582 so I installed cairo-dock (love it!) and Firefox 10 (Saluki) from your repro. I closed the lid to test the ACPI - but I re-opened it too early and got a schizo-screen of flashing rows that only a manual boot would resolve. After a filesystem check on reboot - I now have Frisbee and workspaces PERSISTENT. Yay! Even a (proper) hibernation with lid closure and reopening has everything as it should. :D
(Not asking for explanations (!) Just stating observations.)

THANK YOU for "Recent Documents" in the menu! (A 'first' in Puppy?) I'm really looking forward to working with Saluki for a very long time [insert loveheart icon here]
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

dawg

#2643 Post by dawg »

One thing I'm missing in Saluki, or rather under its "network status/setup icon" in the tray, is the ability/option to bring the network connection up/down quickly at will, as it is possible in other Puppies.

Edit: Another annoyance / undesired behaviour (AFAIC):
In Thunar: right-click a file -> Gzip. This does make a gzip of the file, but it also deletes the original file afterwards!
One might not want to touch the original file necessarily, other than making a compressed back-up version of it, such as of a file that is currently in use by Puppy (or some app), namely the savefile.

Sage

#2644 Post by Sage »

Quote:

Thanks for that. I just opened /tmp and deleted everything, directories and files. There was a lot in there so didn't expect it to work - it did, though.
As for the code mod., guess that's one for our angel.
It's back! Despite emptying /tmp it came back, so I deleted 1171, even though it was already commented out. Must be another command somewhere, because /tmp still refills after every hard reset. Over to you...

smokey01

#2645 Post by smokey01 »

dawg wrote: Edit: Another annoyance / undesired behaviour (AFAIC):
In Thunar: right-click a file -> Gzip. This does make a gzip of the file, but it also deletes the original file afterwards!
One might not want to touch the original file necessarily, other than making a compressed back-up version of it, such as of a file that is currently in use by Puppy (or some app), namely the savefile.
Look at Custom Actions in Thunar, it's quite powerful. You should be able to change gzip quite easily.