Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

Re: My window decor is disappearing

#2671 Post by jemimah »

Pete22 wrote:Today I noticed something weird in Saluki.
It might be caused by something I did, not sure.
But the window decor disappears on any window in full screen.
Is there some way to get the window decor to stay on?

Pete
I think you enabled the global menu panel applet. The decor doesn't disappear, it goes into the pane. Just disable it and things should go back to normal.

jemimah

Re: PeaZip

#2672 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:Here's a new QT PeaZip package updated to version 4.5, peazip-qt-4.5.pet Size 8.5 MB (8,942,402 Bytes)
Thanks. I've added it to the repo.

KJ

Xfce taskbar plugin color issues

#2673 Post by KJ »

I am having some minor Xfce taskbar plugin color issues in 019 that I don't remember having in earlier versions. The plugins work but the CPU graph, Network monitor, and Sensor plugin background color do not change when I select a different taskbar background color and I can not change the individual cpu bar colors, net Rx (receive) and Tx (send) colors or temp bar color. I thought these might be worth some attention if a final release is near.

I am using a clean frugal 019 install to a USB drive. Thanks KJ
Last edited by KJ on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

Re: Lazarus.sfs troubles

#2674 Post by jemimah »

elroy wrote:
dawg wrote:As of 019 I'm having the same problem with Lazarus-0.9.30.0-fpc-2.4.2.sfs. It worked fine in 018.
Any ideas/suggestions?
As Geoffrey pointed out, the lazarus-0.9.30.4RC2-0_fpc-2.6.0-0.sfs works with 019.

I've made a SFS for the latest stable releases of Lazarus and the Free Pascal Compiler: lazarus-0.9.30.4_fpc-2.6.0. You can download the SFS and md5 here - http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/elroy/sfs/

It also works on 019. However, it does not contain the cross-compiler for creating Windows binaries. But neither does the SFS in the Saluki package manager.
I have moved this to the repo and removed the old version.

jemimah

#2675 Post by jemimah »

dawg wrote:One thing I'm missing in Saluki, or rather under its "network status/setup icon" in the tray, is the ability/option to bring the network connection up/down quickly at will, as it is possible in other Puppies.

Edit: Another annoyance / undesired behaviour (AFAIC):
In Thunar: right-click a file -> Gzip. This does make a gzip of the file, but it also deletes the original file afterwards!
One might not want to touch the original file necessarily, other than making a compressed back-up version of it, such as of a file that is currently in use by Puppy (or some app), namely the savefile.
At least with Frisbee, just right click on the tray applet and choose Enable/Disable wireless network.

That is the normal behavior of the gzip binary. Use "create archive" instead if you want a copy.

jemimah

#2676 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:Tried to load a couple of homemade SFSs in 019 and I get

Code: Select all

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop5,
       missing codepage or helper program
and dmesg reports

Code: Select all

SQUASHFS error: Filesystem uses "unknown" compression. This is not supported
Compressing with default or "-comp gzip", same difference. Mounting manually no problem and filesystem reports as "squashfs"
Any idea?

BTW looking at sfs_load for clues I noticed 2 different "mountedpart" functions :?
If you want gzip, then just omit the argument. Or use the dir2sfs command and it will ask you which you want.

jemimah

#2677 Post by jemimah »

A bit more about my thoughts on saluki's future...

I'm good financially at the moment. I got lucky enough to get a job with copious paid bench time. But it's highly unpredictable and could send me all over the country on high-stress implementations at any time. This makes it hard to have a normal social life so I end up spending a lot of time alone.

In my downtime I need to be building something or I get soul-sick and depressed. Developing puppy distros seems to do the trick and give me a good reason to get out of bed.

However, maintenance is far more difficult because it doesn't provide the needed fix. I do like doing tech support and working with advanced users because they ask interesting questions. But once there's more than 10 or 20 users I don't have enough time or motivation to handle new users' questions. So there's this time period before the community is large enough to do it, where I feel personally responsible to answer everything but it's not humanly possible. This is what makes me feel like giving up.

Saluki needs its own community outside the murga forum if it is going to attain critical mass, since it needs to be advertised to a different user base than standard puppy. So I'll need committed moderators. Once the first release of saluki is stable, I'll try to set something up.

Remember it took Barry many years to nail down a build system and revision control. It's a lot of overhead and not a lot of fun, and provides little benefit unless there are actually multiple devs on the project. (plus I have a short attention span - I need fast, visible progress to sustain my momentum). I think if I was seriously trying to build a "real" distro, I wouldn't start with Puppy. Amigo is working on KISS linux which shows a lot of promise as a suitable base system, but I don't think he's released anything yet. But I think it should make it easier to build something less ad-hoc. Just musing...

jemimah

#2678 Post by jemimah »

I've uploaded cairo-dock 3.0 into the repo.

jemimah

#2679 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:I just tried LibreOffice-3.5.1-en_us-2.sfs from http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-lucid, it seems to run fine in saluki.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... n_us-2.sfs

If it proves to be usable maybe it should be added to the Saluki repository
Looks good. I'm uploading it now.

TTW

Re: Well Done!

#2680 Post by TTW »

jemimah wrote:
TTW wrote:
jemimah wrote: We need a professional-looking website to make it happen. However, It's not possible for me develop saluki, maintain the website, and provide tech support for a bunch of new users all at the same time. I tried it with Puppeee and it just about killed me.

I can maybe do one and a half or two of those things.

I need some serious community help.

I can do website design - just let me know what you want doing

Anything to do my bit for saluki

D
Awesome. I will send you a PM.
i wait to hear from you Jemimah

TTW

Saluki Future

#2681 Post by TTW »

jemimah wrote:A bit more about my thoughts on saluki's future...

So there's this time period before the community is large enough to do it, where I feel personally responsible to answer everything but it's not humanly possible. This is what makes me feel like giving up.

Saluki needs its own community outside the murga forum if it is going to attain critical mass, since it needs to be advertised to a different user base than standard puppy. So I'll need committed moderators. Once the first release of saluki is stable, I'll try to set something up.

Remember it took Barry many years to nail down a build system and revision control. It's a lot of overhead and not a lot of fun, and provides little benefit unless there are actually multiple devs on the project. (plus I have a short attention span - I need fast, visible progress to sustain my momentum). I think if I was seriously trying to build a "real" distro, I wouldn't start with Puppy. Amigo is working on KISS linux which shows a lot of promise as a suitable base system, but I don't think he's released anything yet. But I think it should make it easier to build something less ad-hoc. Just musing...
Thank you for the thoughts Jemimah
I would like to see Saluki grow into the OS it shows the promise to be.
I don't think anyone expects you to shoulder the responsibility of this on your own.
As much as I wish I had your knowledge and understanding I am a complete novice compared to you. However, I have skills that may be useful
I do know about websites - I have designed a few and host others - I am happy to provide this knowledge and advice to the community.
As I see it, what is needed is division of labour in order to take Saluki to the next level.
We need developers with Jemimah in the lead.
We need people that can troubleshoot bugs and problems as users test each development
Then we need people to pass knowledge back onto the rest - writing how to's and ensuring that information is easily found by new users to get them up and running and using Saluki for what they need.
Those are my thoughts at a very high level

Yes a good website is part of the solution, yes we will need better communication than just this forum

What we need first though is a team of people with different skillsets that can tackle each element and someone that can manage it overall to make sure all the parts work together.

It's a big project, but together we are more than capable of achieving this.

Of course these are just my thoughts - open to have them challenged or shot down completely, but I am just trying to help

D

TTW

The Future of Saluki

#2682 Post by TTW »

sc0ttman wrote:Regardless of what people think about Saluki being official or not...

If Saluki needs a website, there's an easy option..
and the maintainer won't even need to be all that savvy...

cPanel + QuickInstall

QuickInstall is ridiculously easy to use...
Supports many sites: http://support.hostgator.com/articles/c ... ickinstall

All you then need to do is:

- go into cpanel, use QuickInstall to install wordpress, phpbb, wikka, bbpress, etc
- setup wordpress, phpbb, wikka, etc, as you like them (these ones actually very easy)
- set up some 'moderator' accounts for interested people, email them out
- get a (few) domain(s) and set them up to point where yo uwant..

To keep it cheap, you can use one hosting account and domain for the whole thing, sub domains for each site you setup...

http://saluki.com
http://forum.saluki.com
http://blog.saluki.com
http://wiki.saluki.com
...etc, etc..

Just a thought...
Just a thought or two:

SalukiLinux.com is still available

Personally I dont recommend going down the route of separate subdomains for a forum a blog a wiki etc

The reason being the professional Blog and forum sites are just that, they are much better than anything you can put together on a private site without the resources of a large team dedicated to that of course

Don't go down the free hosting route, most of these either flood your site with ads or go bust, there are a number of cheaper hosting options that are much more robust for the longer term.

My suggestion therefore is:

A dedicated Saluki website with links to
A blog site, a forum and a wiki

Easy to set up, easy to maintain with the ability to divide the labour / expertise to each area

Still fairly cheap to achieve

As usual - just my thoughts and advice - open to challenge and comment

D

jemimah

#2683 Post by jemimah »

Sounds good to me. I sent you a PM. Lets make it happen.

Geoffrey

#2684 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:I've uploaded cairo-dock 3.0 into the repo.
I uninstalled cairo-dock-2.4.0 then installed cairo-dock 3.0 which tells me that this lib file is missing libgldi.so.3.

looking in usr/lib I find libgldi.so.3.0.0, making a symlink of libgldi.so.3 to libgldi.so.3.0.0 needs to be made to allow Cairo-Dock to function.

jemimah

#2685 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote:I've uploaded cairo-dock 3.0 into the repo.
I uninstalled cairo-dock-2.4.0 then installed cairo-dock 3.0 which tells me that this lib file is missing libgldi.so.3.

looking in usr/lib I find libgldi.so.3.0.0, making a symlink of libgldi.so.3 to libgldi.so.3.0.0 needs to be made to allow Cairo-Dock to function.
Thanks. Symlinks sometimes end up missing with cmake builds. New2dir really needs to be rewritten.

futwerk

#2686 Post by futwerk »

a couple of new saluki backgrounds.
Attachments
pupmr13,1.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(38.77 KiB) Downloaded 1336 times
pupmr10,1.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(17.13 KiB) Downloaded 1333 times

aarf

#2687 Post by aarf »

saluki will write files to /mnt/k8GB even when my sdcard labeled k8GB is not inserted.
Last edited by aarf on Sat 21 Apr 2012, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

roadkill13

#2688 Post by roadkill13 »

I have installed Saluki 019 to my Acer Aspire One AOD255-2301.

I have been using it for several days now. Everything seems to work with the exception of the ENE Card Reader. I have transferred pictures and movies from a Sony digital camera and an IPAD2 successfully. I have downloaded and burned cd images with an Asus external usb cd/dvd-rw drive. The package manager has worked just fine. I am using the Opera web browser from the repository to post this message.

As for the card reader I had built a module from the preconfigured source code that I found on the Ubuntu Launch Pad some time ago. I had built the module for Ubuntu derivatives and then for Lucid puppy. I found that I could use the one I built for Lucid by copying the keucr.ko module to the appropriate folder even if the kernel was a different than the original 2.6.33.2 kernel used with Lucid.

However that has not worked with any of the 3.x kernels that I have tried. I have read that the source code is for systems using a 2.x kernel. I have thus far been unsuccessful in building the module for the card reader. So far I have been able to use work arounds. I also dual boot with Lucid 5.28 v5 which does work with the module that I built.

I also have installed and used a wireless HP Photosmart Printer with a previous save file.

This is a beautiful piece of work. I am enjoying it immensely. Thank you for the opportunity to test this operating system.
Last edited by roadkill13 on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#2689 Post by jemimah »

roadkill13 wrote: I have been using it for several days now. Everything seems to work with the exception of the ENE Card Reader. I have transferred pictures and movies from a Sony digital camera and an IPAD2 successfully. I have downloaded and burned cd images with an Asus external usb cd/dvd-rw drive. The package manager has worked just fine. I am using the Opera web browser from the repository to post this message.

As for the card reader I had built a module from the preconfigured source code that I found on the Ubuntu Launch Pad some time ago. I had built the module for Ubuntu derivatives and then for Lucid puppy. I found that I could use the one I built for Lucid by copying the keucr.ko module to the appropriate folder even if the kernel was a different than the original 2.6.33.2 kernel used with Lucid.

However that has not worked with any of the 3.x kernels that I have tried. I have read that the source code is for systems using a 2.x kernel. I have thus far been unsuccessful in building the module for the card reader. So far I have been able to use work arounds. I also dual boot with Lucid 5.28 v5 which does work with the module that I built.

I also have installed and used a wireless HP Photosmart Printer with a previous save file.

This is a beautiful piece of work. I am enjoying it immensely. Thank you for the opportunity to test this operating system.
Keucr is already included with the 3.2 kernel. If it's not autoloading, you can force it to load using "Configure Kernel Modules" in the control panel. You'll probably want a new save file since the keucr you added is broken and will probably screw things up.

jemimah

#2690 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:Out of curiosity, why init.d/fuse is in /sbin? :?
leftover? magic?...
No idea. Barry made the package that way. I'll fix it and see if anything breaks.