Re: Virtualbox guest

#2717 Post by mdisaster2 »

jemimah wrote: Did you run

Code: Select all

depmod -a
?
Did it now :
# depmod -a -v | grep vbox
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTMemTmpFree": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuestIDCCall": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexRequest": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexRelease": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTErrConvertToErrno": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexCreate": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexDestroy": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTLogRelDefaultInstance": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTMemContFree": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuestIDCOpen": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTAssertShouldPanic": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTMemContAlloc": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTMemTmpAllocTag": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTAssertMsg1Weak": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuestIDCClose": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxsf.ko needs "VBoxGuest_RTAssertMsg2Weak": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxvideo.ko needs "drm_open": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxvideo.ko needs "drm_fasync": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxvideo.ko needs "drm_poll": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxvideo.ko needs "drm_pci_init": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxvideo.ko needs "drm_ioctl": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxvideo.ko needs "drm_vblank_init": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxvideo.ko needs "drm_mmap": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxvideo.ko needs "drm_pci_exit": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxvideo.ko needs "drm_core_reclaim_buffers": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/misc/vboxvideo.ko needs "drm_release": /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
After running depmod -a the vboxguest module still refuses to install via modprobe.

EDIT: also noticed this in the boot messages:
# dmesg | grep vbox
[ 16.594239] vboxguest: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
[ 19.189333] vboxguest: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
[ 19.327303] vboxguest: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
[ 19.456479] vboxvideo: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
[ 21.022807] vboxguest: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
[ 22.957188] vboxvideo: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
#
These are the modules I forced in the boot manager, the third one (vboxsf) does not feature in dmesg. Also in the boot messages I see that the additional modules from boot manager are processed with no visible error messages (something like "loading additional modules...done")
Last edited by mdisaster2 on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#2718 Post by Sage »

Refuses to poweroff either from menu, console, CLI, w.h.y.???

jemimah

Re: Evince - Comic Book support

#2719 Post by jemimah »

josepinto wrote:Hi,

Could comic book support (.cbz and .cbr files) be enable in Saluki.

Is some extra package necessary or only myme types?

José Pinto
They should open in evince. I doubt the mime types are there though.

l2ulinux

Saluki The Great

#2720 Post by l2ulinux »

Computer

Processor 4x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz
Memory 2064MB (362MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sun 22 Apr 2012 02:05:24 PM CDT

Operating System

Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.8-ski (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 12 16:42:30 EET 2012
C Library GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler Unknown
Distribution Unknown distribution
Current Session
Computer Name puppypc30325
User Name root (root)
Home Directory /root
Desktop Environment XFCE 4
Misc
Uptime 3 hours, 23 minutes
Load Average 0.04, 0.06, 0.05

Upgraded 19 to 20 with no problems so far.
Is there any way to get the volume higher?
I have to set the mixer to 100% to get a normal sound.
Last edited by l2ulinux on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 19:38, edited 3 times in total.

pemasu

#2721 Post by pemasu »

If not...there is nice Qt app Qcomicbook:

http://qcomicbook.org/

ETP

Testing Saluki – 020

#2722 Post by ETP »

Manual fugal install to fat32 USB2 flash with syslinux 4.04 boot & ext4 save.
Pets loaded:
Nvidia driver, conky,smplayer & tickr.

In another thread I commented:
With regard to these pups they both have fantastic merit and IMHO BOTH should become official pups. (Why not two?)

Slacko is likely to appeal more to hardcore enthusiasts and Saluki to newcomers due to its user friendliness and easy configurability.
Link to full size image:
http://postimage.org/image/3wybonz3b/
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

DaveS

#2723 Post by DaveS »

Speaking of Opera, came across a nice little extension called 'Turn off The Lights' https://addons.opera.com/en-gb/extensio ... display=en
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mdisaster2

#2724 Post by mdisaster2 »

While trying to figure out why Virtualbox GA modules won't install I noticed that pupscan is available but it can only launched from the command line - it doesn't have a menu entry and it is not present in control panel. Seems to work fine though.

elroy

slimp

#2725 Post by elroy »

anyone know how to create a usable playlist for slimp?

mdisaster2

Virtualbox progress

#2726 Post by mdisaster2 »

I recreated the virtual machine from scratch, and reinstalled Saluki. It seems that when installing under Virtualbox Saluki chooses to run in Vesa mode (no X). It also starts @ 1600x1200 which is a sort of pain for those of us that have smaller monitor, but this is fixable in the first run dialog).

However I reasoned that maybe it would have been better to have X running before attempting to compile the Guest Additions, so I went to the command prompt and ran xorgwizard. Choosing the Vesa driver was a no go, but Probe, although apparently unsuccessful (it just exits to the prompt), does generate a xorg.conf that actually puts X in a working state - I can run startx, and now in the firstrun panel I see Xorg:Vesa instead of just Vesa, ditto in hwinfo.

Then I redid the GA compile steps, and this time everything went fine: no error messages, no warnings, no rogue modules. So, I rebooted.

After rebooting the status is as follow:

- Virtualbox does acknowledge that the GA are installed (good).

- the video driver is now Xorg:vboxvideo (good)

- the shared folders work (good)

- 3D acceleration is apparently enabled (glxgear does 333 fps) (good)

- the screen can be resized by pulling the borders with the mouse (good)

- mouse integration is still broken and must be disabled - now the mouse does move seamlessly in and out the screen, but clicks in the Saluki screen happen in a random location (not good)

So basically the only things that need to be fixed is mouse integration, then we could collect all the GA files into a nice pet for one-click Virtualbox support... ;)

jemimah

#2727 Post by jemimah »

I'm assuming you did try the vitualbox sfs from the repo?

jemimah

Re: slimp

#2728 Post by jemimah »

elroy wrote:anyone know how to create a usable playlist for slimp?
That's not a feature slimp has.

Geoffrey

#2729 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:

José Pinto
These file types open with Evince OOTB, heres some sample files to test it with.

http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/raw-at ... 011cbr.cbr

http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/raw-at ... 011cbz.cbz

mdisaster2

#2730 Post by mdisaster2 »

jemimah wrote:I'm assuming you did try the vitualbox sfs from the repo?
No, that's for running other OSes inside Puppy, and I am sure it's ok .
(works fine on puppeee, btw ;) ).

What I'm trying to do is running Saluki as a guest, ie inside another OS (at the moment I am using Win64, but could be anything else). The Guest Additions come with Virtualbox and are supposed to be installed in the guest OS, in order to enable such features as 3d acceleration, shared folders, mouse integration and so on. Without the GA the guest OS runs in a degraded mode and is much less useful/efficient/fun.

Ideally in order to install the GA you just run a script from the Virtualbox supplied iso,but I've seen that working only in Slackware (which is not even in the supported guest OS list, go figure). All the other distros I'm playing with (Mint, Salix, Arch) supply a package that installs the GA without having to jump thru hoops. Mint even figures out it's running in VB and notifies the user to install the GA package, which is a nice touch.

As for Puppy (which btw is a awesome guest system because of speed and small footprint) mileages vary, and you have to create a user, run the compile script and mess around with services and startup files. In some cases you have to do that without being able to use the mouse or see portions of the screen (depends on which puppy you are using, sometime you just get a black screen at first boot, sometimes vesa works fine but X doesn't and so on - the most frequent problem is mouse breakage).

At the moment I only managed to make the GA work reasonably well on the latest Wary, probably because of the older Xorg, with Saluki a close second (everything is fine but mouse integration, on the other hand screen resize works much better...).

einar

#2731 Post by einar »

shevan wrote:for saluki wiki

compiling ati with oficial amd installer
1. wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-d ... x86_64.run
2. Load SFS - Dev & kernel sources (tested with kernel 3.2.8 which is default)
3. Exit to promt
4. sh amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run --keep

if compiling fails then
5. cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
6. patch -p1 < /path/to/patch
7. ./make.sh
8. cd .. && ./make_install.sh
9. aticonfig --initial

xwin to load desktop. reboot not required
I have had no success compiling ATi drivers om 328 kernel. so i will try this when i have time. I have some questions before though ;)

on point 6 : can you put the patch file in the lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/ folder ?

on point 7: is that all you type : ./make.sh ?

on point 8 : same as 7, i am a linux noob but cd stands for change directory . to where ?

and finaly can you make a SFS or .pet file ? :)

thanks for the guide, sorry for my noobness

Einar

ICPUG

#2732 Post by ICPUG »

jemimah wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Out of curiosity, why init.d/fuse is in /sbin? :?
leftover? magic?...
No idea. Barry made the package that way. I'll fix it and see if anything breaks.
Isn't fuse something that is needed by ntfs 3g?

I do hope you haven't 'fixed' 020 so that you cannot frugal install on ntfs file systems!

I'm not a dev so I may be talking a load of rubbish - on the other hand I might not!

jemimah

#2733 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote:

José Pinto
These file types open with Evince OOTB, heres some sample files to test it with.

http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/raw-at ... 011cbr.cbr

http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/raw-at ... 011cbz.cbz
Thanks!

jemimah

#2734 Post by jemimah »

mdisaster2 wrote:
jemimah wrote:I'm assuming you did try the vitualbox sfs from the repo?
No, that's for running other OSes inside Puppy, and I am sure it's ok .
(works fine on puppeee, btw ;) ).

What I'm trying to do is running Saluki as a guest, ie inside another OS (at the moment I am using Win64, but could be anything else). The Guest Additions come with Virtualbox and are supposed to be installed in the guest OS, in order to enable such features as 3d acceleration, shared folders, mouse integration and so on. Without the GA the guest OS runs in a degraded mode and is much less useful/efficient/fun.

Ideally in order to install the GA you just run a script from the Virtualbox supplied iso,but I've seen that working only in Slackware (which is not even in the supported guest OS list, go figure). All the other distros I'm playing with (Mint, Salix, Arch) supply a package that installs the GA without having to jump thru hoops. Mint even figures out it's running in VB and notifies the user to install the GA package, which is a nice touch.

As for Puppy (which btw is a awesome guest system because of speed and small footprint) mileages vary, and you have to create a user, run the compile script and mess around with services and startup files. In some cases you have to do that without being able to use the mouse or see portions of the screen (depends on which puppy you are using, sometime you just get a black screen at first boot, sometimes vesa works fine but X doesn't and so on - the most frequent problem is mouse breakage).

At the moment I only managed to make the GA work reasonably well on the latest Wary, probably because of the older Xorg, with Saluki a close second (everything is fine but mouse integration, on the other hand screen resize works much better...).
Gotcha. I will add it to my request list.

shevan

#2735 Post by shevan »

einar wrote: on point 6 : can you put the patch file in the lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/ folder ?

on point 7: is that all you type : ./make.sh ?

on point 8 : same as 7, i am a linux noob but cd stands for change directory . to where ?

and finaly can you make a SFS or .pet file ? :)

thanks for the guide, sorry for my noobness

Einar
There is a file firegl_public.c in a folder lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/, which needs patching.
script make.sh located in the same folder will compile the fglrx.ko module
(./make.sh or sh make.sh to run it)
Then go to the upper directory with command 'cd ..' and you should be in the lib/modules/fglrx/
make_install.sh script install module to the sys folder

Sorry, I can't create a sfs or pet ( I am not that good with puppy yet