Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 15:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 223 of 250 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 05:53    Post_subject:  

greengeek wrote:
don570 wrote:
For people who want a simple and fast method of
MD5sum calculation and checking of their downloaded files I made a right click package. It needs xclip to be installed as well
but it's not too big.
Excellent idea!

There is a MD5 checker right clicking the file, Properties > Digests with a copy to clipboard, but it appears to have a problem,
I can copy the MD5 the first time, but unable to if I select another file to check, it must be a bug.

smokey01

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 07:15    Post_subject:  

Another way to check the MD5SUM is to install gtkhash from the PPM if not already installed.

Open thunar
Select the Edit menu
Select Configure custom actions
Click on +
Enter a Name, EG: gtkhash
Add a Description, EG Check MD5
in command type: gtkhash %F
Select an icon
Now select the tab at the top called Appearance Condition and enter File Pattern: *.iso
Tick Other files
Click on OK

Right mouse click on an ISO file, select gtkhash, then click on Hash Button.

Simple and effective.

Dromeno

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 09:11    Post_subject: "everything but the kitchen sink" saluki  

My apologies... I should not have asked questions so fast... Just for the fun of it I made an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink saluki (with almost everything from the saluki repo installed). Everything except the games that is. Result in a giant iso to load in ram (over 1.1 GB). But it works.

My AsusEEE 1215n needs about 2 hrs to build it. Half of that is used for the creation of the adrive dir.

Jemimah is super!

Small point of criticism: if the iso is larger than ram, saluki gives up (can't boot). In lucid puppy that is not a problem, then not all the iso goes in ram.
jemimah

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 21:53    Post_subject:  

Just a quick update. I'm still alive but totally exhausted. They have me flying all over the place and it's hard to concentrate on anything at this frenetic pace. Most of my off days are spent catching up on paper work and expense reports.

Next month I think I'll be in utah which should give me some stability but it is still (I think) three timezones away so I dunno how much free time I'll have.

Bear with me. Saluki is still on my mind.

Dromeno

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2012, 03:34    Post_subject: Stuff2read while building your adrive  

BTW...An excellent ebook to read when your notebook creates your personalized saluki iso is Parmy Olson's book "We Are Anonymous: Inside the Hacker World of LulzSec, Anonymous, and the Global Cyber Insurgency". An epub version of it is widely available.

The aims and activities of these groups were not that inspiring (=>causing digital damage for fun, I like the Saluki scene and help creating/popularizing a useful free OS for fun much better, with the logistic benefit that it is legal), but the group sociology was/is definatley worth to be studied. And Olson writes very well!
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2012, 07:59    Post_subject:  Mypaint
Sub_title: Python painting and drawing program

I've compiled Mypaint for Saluki, what a great drawing app, I see it mentioned here and there on the forum,
but it doesn't look like anyone has compiled it before, I could be wrong, so I had a go at building it,
works fine, I've posted it at http://saluki-linux.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=428#p428
I'm trying to do most of my posts at the new forum from now on, but it's a bit hard when most of the action is here,
well normally it is, though it has slowed some what, Hi Jemimah.

Edited_time_total
KJ

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2012, 09:18    Post_subject: Take time  

jemimah .... Projects need to wait sometimes... Take care of yourself first. Sounds like many "new jobs" are a trial by fire these days (let's see how many fires can you put out before you burn out ... or blow up). Thanks for the update ... good to hear that you are OK just busy.. Thanks... May strength of the oak and flexability of the willow surround you .... KJ
KJ

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2012, 14:04    Post_subject: Saluki is auto saving in manual save only mode  

Saluki 22 is auto saving in manual save only mode. I have doing some on-line puppy forum posting and Saluki puts up a "saving" splash screen and goes thru. the cpu and usb activity sequence of a save (at least once every 10 minute) while I'm supposed to be in a "0" interval pupsaveconfig using mode 13 on a usbflash drive. I have not had this happen on another puppy version. Thanks ... KJ
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2012, 19:48    Post_subject: Re: Saluki is auto saving in manual save only mode  

KJ wrote:
Saluki 22 is auto saving in manual save only mode. I have doing some on-line puppy forum posting and Saluki puts up a "saving" splash screen and goes thru. the cpu and usb activity sequence of a save (at least once every 10 minute)
Hi KJ, are you able to confirm that an actual save takes place? (maybe by adding a new program or something?? and seeing if that program survives a reboot?). I wonder if the save activity is some sort of "pseudo-save" rather than a real save?? (If such a thing is possible)
cthisbear

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2012, 21:15    Post_subject:  

Icyos video...Saluki is tops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrQ5iYdAn4&list=UU4FB128O4pBzpMSb53fFpqw&index=6&feature=plcp

Saluki 022 Puppy Linux XFCE - #1 OS On The Planet

Chris.
KJ

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2012, 22:37    Post_subject: Auto save  

Greengeek: Good point about checking on checking for an actual save ... will try adding a file and see it that gets saved automatically but it doesn't seem to happen very time I boot up .... auto saves on two different sessions today .... none yesterday. ... Will try to narrow down the problem. KJ
KJ

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun 2012, 09:28    Post_subject: Auto saves made in flash manual save only mode  

Greengeek: Yes actual auto saves are made to my frugal install Saluki 22 usb flashdrive. I made a test file and saved it to root in geany but did not do a manual save to flash. About 10 min. later the "save to flash" splash popped in on screen followed by cpu and usb light activity. I waited about a minute and rebooted (no manual save) and the test file was in root as if I had manually saved it. Not good. No idea what triggers the auto save but, I think I have always been online with Firefox 7 when the auto save happens.

EDIT: There is some discussion about this issue on starting on page 219. I opened /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d with 'defaulttexteditor' and changed line 9 from ramsaveinterval=30 to:

Code:
[ "$RAMSAVEINTERVAL" = "" ] && RAMSAVEINTERVAL=0 #412

saved the change then ran manual "save to flash" and rebooted and have been online for over an hour with no auto saves .... may have fixed it. KJ
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun 2012, 16:34    Post_subject: Re: Auto saves made in flash manual save only mode  

KJ wrote:
Yes actual auto saves are made to my frugal install Saluki 22 usb flashdrive. I opened /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d with 'defaulttexteditor' and changed line 9 from ramsaveinterval=30

Saluki 21 is showing the same line with a saveinterval of 30 (when pupsaveconfig is set to zero). I guess the "412" parameter at the end of that line is referring to the comment at the beginning of the text file which says:
"#v412 workaround, someone had RAMSAVEINTERVAL not set."

Presumably at "version 412" someone needed to force a ramsave interval for some reason. This over-ride should probably be removed permanently. I think the pupsaveconfig script should be the only determinator (is that a real word?) of when/why an automatic save is done.
dk60902

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun 2012, 16:37    Post_subject:  

cthisbear wrote:
Icyos video...Saluki is tops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrQ5iYdAn4&list=UU4FB128O4pBzpMSb53fFpqw&index=6&feature=plcp

Saluki 022 Puppy Linux XFCE - #1 OS On The Planet

Chris.

On his latest vid, he declared #! his favorite OS. I tried it, but I prefer puppy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8QtSVne3hU&feature=g-all-u
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun 2012, 16:51    Post_subject: Re: RAMSAVEINTERVAL  

mossywell wrote:
so I'm going to experiment with hard-coding RAMSAVEINTERVAL in it so see what happens.
Yup - that worked. So I put . /etc/eventmanager in pup_event_frontend_d and that also worked. Job done I think.

Hi mossywell - can you clarify what you meant by putting ". /etc/eventmanager in pup_event_frontend_d" please?
I want to turn off my autosaves, but don't know how these different files might interact to force the autosave at different times, for different reasons.

It sounds like you had two different methods that both achieved the same thing? Have I read it correctly?
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 223 of 250 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum