Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
yr1945

#3691 Post by yr1945 »

for minimal distro..... Saluki can be booted without Adrive...

dziwei

#3692 Post by dziwei »

thanks all! I do want to try a remaster.

boot without adrive: liking the sound of that, could you elaborate?

let me know if I'm too needy, my google searches on saluki aren't 'hitting on all cylinders'

8-bit

#3693 Post by 8-bit »

Rather than going page by page of this thread, I would like to find out what I am doing wrong trying to get compiz to work with Saluki.
I downloaded compiz-helper and according to it, I meet ALL the requirements.
But when I exit to prompt and type in "xwin dummy" I get a task bar, the Menu button, and a black screen. All the applications work as if I have a working x screen though.
I know xfce is the default desktop manager. But I really want the drive icons or at least a background rather than a blank black screen.
Also, the application windows that show seem to be in a fixed location as they seem to be unmovable. And all of the compiz effects just are not there.
I have the compiz SFS file loaded also and have installed the true NVIDIA driver also.

Maybe I am just dumb.
A step by step as to what I need to do to get this working would be great!

yr1945

#3694 Post by yr1945 »

to boot saluki without Adrive... do a Frugal install as follows...

download saluki-023 iso...

download a browser, eg, the Firefox .pet (.pets are puppylinux applications)... so you can immediately intall the Firefox .pet after saluki is booted and access more apps...

saluki .pets (apps) are located at the following website: http://smokey01.com/saluki/... many .pets for other puppylinux distros will also work for saluki... i should note that .pets are also located in the Puppy Package Manager which can be located in the Menu at bottom left under System... this may be better for installing .pets... i just happen to have a folder of the .pets that i use...

create a new folder (directory) and name it saluki...

from the downloaded saluki iso,copy following files into new saluki folder... initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy saluki 023.sfs and zdrv luki 023 sfs...

use Grub4Dos bootloader to install boot capability for new saluki folder (which is now an OS), as well as all other Operating Systems on computer...

once saluki is booted, there will be no apps since the Adrive contains all the apps...

therefore, as indicated above, install Firefox .pet and other apps you may want to use...

Having explained the above process... and before attempting it... perhaps a better way to get a minimal OS is to use the Saluki Custom Builder which can be found in the Menu at lower left under System... just click on it and follow the directions...

i guess it's all a matter of preference... eg, i use so few apps i like using saluki without the Adrive...

good luck...

Geoffrey

#3695 Post by Geoffrey »

8-bit wrote:Rather than going page by page of this thread, I would like to find out what I am doing wrong trying to get compiz to work with Saluki.
I downloaded compiz-helper and according to it, I meet ALL the requirements.
But when I exit to prompt and type in "xwin dummy" I get a task bar, the Menu button, and a black screen. All the applications work as if I have a working x screen though.
I know xfce is the default desktop manager. But I really want the drive icons or at least a background rather than a blank black screen.
Also, the application windows that show seem to be in a fixed location as they seem to be unmovable. And all of the compiz effects just are not there.
I have the compiz SFS file loaded also and have installed the true NVIDIA driver also.

Maybe I am just dumb.
A step by step as to what I need to do to get this working would be great!
Sounds as if it's not loading xfce correctly, you shouldn't have to type anything other that xwin at the prompt, try typing " xwin startxfce4 ".

I have had that happen with no window borders, just go to control panel and restart compiz, that should fix it.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

8-bit

#3696 Post by 8-bit »

Thank you Geoffrey,
I will give it a try.
The main thing I might have been doing wrong was the way I tried to start xwin from an external prompt.

I think I was typing instead "xwin dummy".

I am currently in Slacko 5.4 final with comp-fusion running nicely.
I am going to make a backup of my slackosave now that it is working and not do any slacko updates to slacko5.4 final and hope for the best as I had to install xfce4 on it along with a few other things.

dziwei

no Adrive is ok!

#3697 Post by dziwei »

yr1945, tnx for the detailed reply... only trouble i had installing was getting the grub onto the new saluki folder, so I put it on a second usb stick and it made things easy to follow. after that it booted without incident, yeah~!

I installed chromium (same sfs that i had success with on my full(er) saluki023 install). but this time chromium doesnt start, nothing happens after multiple reboots and even trying to call up the browser from Picasa (another sfs that I used successfully)! the error from picasa was: chromium won't start input:output error.

any advice would be welcome! tnx again!!

yr1945

#3698 Post by yr1945 »

dziwei... i loaded the chromium sfs... but, it would not work on my laptop... with or without the Adrive...

also... i loaded the google chrome sfs located in the Puppy Package Manager... it would not run without the Adrive... but, it would run with the Adrive...

next... still experimenting... and making sure that sfs files worked without the Adrive... i loaded the firefox sfs... it worked just fine...

info only... i run firefox without installing it by downloading the firefox-17..0.1.tar.bz2 from mozilla.com... i extract the firefox folder with xarchiver... i open the extracted firefox folder and right-click on the firefox icon which is about 1/3 the way down the page (the icon is a diamond shape)... after the right-click i select “send to

dziwei

#3699 Post by dziwei »

yr1945 tnx again, firefox worked for me as well. I will have to wait if I want that chromium to work 'bare bones'...

rg66

#3700 Post by rg66 »

Here's a Saluki wallpaper if anyone wants it.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rg66

Saluki Repo

#3701 Post by rg66 »

I have been asked to maintain the Saluki repository and for some unknown reason have decided to say yes :shock:

For now it will only be already made pets. They won't necessarily be Saluki or even Wary specific packages, as long as they work I'll put them up.

Added so far:

geany-1.22-i486.pet
geany-plugins-1.22-i486.pet
ristretto-0.6.3.pet
mtpaint-3.44.04.pet

Don't forget to update your package list

Thank you, and please be gentle!
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

pchan

#3702 Post by pchan »

rg66,

That's great to hear! Yes, I do like Carolina, Lxpup, Slacko, macpup. But Saluki from jeminah is simply great! It seems to be able take anything I throw at it. I find that i don't have to erase my save file every now and then because i have messed it up by installing and uninstalling programs.

The way the windows manager xfce4 that has been integrated into it is solid and stable.

pchan

#3703 Post by pchan »

8-bit wrote:Thank you Geoffrey,
I will give it a try.
The main thing I might have been doing wrong was the way I tried to start xwin from an external prompt.

I think I was typing instead "xwin dummy".

I am currently in Slacko 5.4 final with comp-fusion running nicely.
I am going to make a backup of my slackosave now that it is working and not do any slacko updates to slacko5.4 final and hope for the best as I had to install xfce4 on it along with a few other things.
"xwin dummy" is used for slacko 5.3.3 and "xwin dummy1/2" is used for slacko 5.4 to start compiz without a window manager. This method of starting compiz appears to be more satble in slacko 5.4, but it is a bit fragile and buggy in slacko 5.3.3. In slacko 5.3.3, if compiz crash, I find it hard to get "xwin" to start even the normal "jwm" window manager.

In "Saluki" and "Carolina," the way to start compiz (assuming that you have already installed it using pakage manager), is to go to control menu and look under "desktop." From there, you will be able to enable or disable compiz. Compiz will start inside xfce4 windows manager. So, if it crash, you can restart the xfce4 window manager again by typing "xwin startxfce4." You can than go and disable "compiz" until you know what is causing it to crash. This is the good thing about saluki and carolina.

BTW, I am just a non expert user and i am sharing from experience of a user without the inside technical computer knowledge. I just meddle and explore around with the different settings. The newer slacko 5.4 does appear to be handling compiz quite well although something in slacko 5.3.3 is missing from slacko 5.4. When i have the time, I must ask 01micko about that matter.

futwerk

#3704 Post by futwerk »

background and mobile.
Attachments
puppymobile7.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?rao8bk726e8e8or,z4y75c5s56vp7af,xpt2b8tx9h6iaed,8ckn3z0tp3wf1wq,8metd5ye9q6vfup,8co919zn9bdepwr,g5qrd1d7le9grp3
(17.49 KiB) Downloaded 1570 times
dec28,43dxy1.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?rao8bk726e8e8or,z4y75c5s56vp7af,xpt2b8tx9h6iaed,8ckn3z0tp3wf1wq,8metd5ye9q6vfup,8co919zn9bdepwr,g5qrd1d7le9grp3
(14.86 KiB) Downloaded 1589 times
dec28,43dxy.jpg
(15.35 KiB) Downloaded 1621 times

Billtoo

Saluki

#3705 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive.

Display
Resolution 1600x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
Version 4.2.11931 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes

Network controller Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter

Saluki 023 is working well on this laptop.

EDIT:I connected a 19" widescreen monitor to the laptop.
Attachments
screenshot3.jpg
(40.07 KiB) Downloaded 1531 times
screenshot.jpg
(76.36 KiB) Downloaded 1539 times

step

desktop icons disappered; my-applications folder as symlink

#3706 Post by step »

Can someone more experience with saluki 023 frugal install) please tell me how to fix/do these two things.

Desktop Icons Disappered
I right-clicked the desktop and selected "Create New Launcher", entered "Thunar" as the command field, "/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Documents and Settings/user/Desktop" as the starting directory, "Windows My Documents" as the name field and hit OK. All desktop icons immediately disappeared and they didn't come back even after a reboot. Moreover, right-clicking the desktop doesn't display the menu anymore. What did I do wrong and how can I get desktop icons and right-click menu back?

update: I tried the same procedure right after booting from CD and got the same empty-desktop, no-right-click-menu issue.

my-applications folder as a symlink [SOLVED]
I want to create a symlink named /root/my-applications with target /dev/sda1/puppy/my-applications. In other words, the symlink would replace the default my-applications folder and point to another folder. This is something that I was able to easily do with precise puppy and other puppies, but not with saluki. When I try renaming the default /root/my-applications directory to /root/my-applications-foo with Thunar I get error "invalid crosslinked file". I don't understand it. How can I rename that folder so I can then use the same name for a symlink to /dev/sda1/puppy/my-applications?

update: I was able to work around this issue by renaming folders and creating links from the terminal. Apparently Thunar is involved in triggering this error condition, but the terminal isn't.

TIA

don570

#3707 Post by don570 »

step wrote:Desktop Icons Disappered
This is a common problem. You are out of space so your
PuppyPin file is damaged. Fortunately it's easy to fix.
Restart X windows will create a new one, however if you don't
have enough space it won't be successful.

So the proper solution is to go to the start menu (see under 'Utilities)
and there is an app that does 'Resize PupSave file' or something like that.
Add more space and reboot.

Think of your PupSave file as being like a special partition to save your
personal data and settings.

Also pfix=fsck is important when booting to clean the PupSave file
of errors.

kattami

Libgnomevfs-2.so.0 and liborbit-2.so.0

#3708 Post by kattami »

Hi.

I am for the time being using last version of Saluki because thats the best one that works on this Asus 1000HE laptop.

After being bothered a long time with firefox constantly freezing and problems updating flashplayer on the previous Saluki savefile I made a new savefile today.

Then I installed firefox 13.0.1 after installing the flashplayer that is last version for linux.

However, the check for dependencies said I had several missing libraries. After looking around for all of them I managed to fix most of them.

But these two, libgnomevfs-2.so.0 and liborbit-2.so.0 I cant figure out.

Its not on the Saluki because file search doesnt find it anywhere.

I have searched both in google and in this forum for these two files. All I could find was some comment about Saluki not being updated hence missing files from for example gnomevfs, a pet file that was called orbit something, and alot of rpm on this site:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/3/ ... ld%5B%5D/2 plus several other links that was similar as this site.

So I am stuck. Dont know how to find them, and I cant imagine that one has to install several programs just to get ahold of two missing libraries?

Havent been here for over two years because I've figured out problems by myself, but this time...

So I have two questions:

Is it necessary with these two missing libraries?

Is it really not possible to just find these two and just put them in the firefox folder that is asking for them?

Thanks for any help on this....

smokey01

#3709 Post by smokey01 »

Kattami if you downloaded Firefox from the saluki repository it should not be missing any libraries. Is this where you acquired Firefox?

kattami

#3710 Post by kattami »

I downloaded from the puppylinux-common repository.

As for the saluki repository it was the firefox 12 version which gave me so much problems.

And when I tried the firefox 15.0.1 I got that message in red text in the textbox that said something about several files would be overwritten and you have to be sure you update etc.

So I could have asked if the firefox 15.0.1 has any problems or not..

I didnt think of it because I didnt get why that message came up when I didnt have any firefox yet on the new savefile...