Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
step

desktop icons disappered; my-applications folder as symlink

#3706 Post by step »

Can someone more experience with saluki 023 frugal install) please tell me how to fix/do these two things.

Desktop Icons Disappered
I right-clicked the desktop and selected "Create New Launcher", entered "Thunar" as the command field, "/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Documents and Settings/user/Desktop" as the starting directory, "Windows My Documents" as the name field and hit OK. All desktop icons immediately disappeared and they didn't come back even after a reboot. Moreover, right-clicking the desktop doesn't display the menu anymore. What did I do wrong and how can I get desktop icons and right-click menu back?

update: I tried the same procedure right after booting from CD and got the same empty-desktop, no-right-click-menu issue.

my-applications folder as a symlink [SOLVED]
I want to create a symlink named /root/my-applications with target /dev/sda1/puppy/my-applications. In other words, the symlink would replace the default my-applications folder and point to another folder. This is something that I was able to easily do with precise puppy and other puppies, but not with saluki. When I try renaming the default /root/my-applications directory to /root/my-applications-foo with Thunar I get error "invalid crosslinked file". I don't understand it. How can I rename that folder so I can then use the same name for a symlink to /dev/sda1/puppy/my-applications?

update: I was able to work around this issue by renaming folders and creating links from the terminal. Apparently Thunar is involved in triggering this error condition, but the terminal isn't.

TIA

don570

#3707 Post by don570 »

step wrote:Desktop Icons Disappered
This is a common problem. You are out of space so your
PuppyPin file is damaged. Fortunately it's easy to fix.
Restart X windows will create a new one, however if you don't
have enough space it won't be successful.

So the proper solution is to go to the start menu (see under 'Utilities)
and there is an app that does 'Resize PupSave file' or something like that.
Add more space and reboot.

Think of your PupSave file as being like a special partition to save your
personal data and settings.

Also pfix=fsck is important when booting to clean the PupSave file
of errors.

kattami

Libgnomevfs-2.so.0 and liborbit-2.so.0

#3708 Post by kattami »

Hi.

I am for the time being using last version of Saluki because thats the best one that works on this Asus 1000HE laptop.

After being bothered a long time with firefox constantly freezing and problems updating flashplayer on the previous Saluki savefile I made a new savefile today.

Then I installed firefox 13.0.1 after installing the flashplayer that is last version for linux.

However, the check for dependencies said I had several missing libraries. After looking around for all of them I managed to fix most of them.

But these two, libgnomevfs-2.so.0 and liborbit-2.so.0 I cant figure out.

Its not on the Saluki because file search doesnt find it anywhere.

I have searched both in google and in this forum for these two files. All I could find was some comment about Saluki not being updated hence missing files from for example gnomevfs, a pet file that was called orbit something, and alot of rpm on this site:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/3/ ... ld%5B%5D/2 plus several other links that was similar as this site.

So I am stuck. Dont know how to find them, and I cant imagine that one has to install several programs just to get ahold of two missing libraries?

Havent been here for over two years because I've figured out problems by myself, but this time...

So I have two questions:

Is it necessary with these two missing libraries?

Is it really not possible to just find these two and just put them in the firefox folder that is asking for them?

Thanks for any help on this....

smokey01

#3709 Post by smokey01 »

Kattami if you downloaded Firefox from the saluki repository it should not be missing any libraries. Is this where you acquired Firefox?

kattami

#3710 Post by kattami »

I downloaded from the puppylinux-common repository.

As for the saluki repository it was the firefox 12 version which gave me so much problems.

And when I tried the firefox 15.0.1 I got that message in red text in the textbox that said something about several files would be overwritten and you have to be sure you update etc.

So I could have asked if the firefox 15.0.1 has any problems or not..

I didnt think of it because I didnt get why that message came up when I didnt have any firefox yet on the new savefile...

smokey01

#3711 Post by smokey01 »

I often boot to RAM and install package to test them then don't save the savefile when rebooting or shutting down.

In Fatdog there is a sandbox especially for this purpose so you can test packages before you install them for good.

It's always best to use the packages for the distro you are using. Quite often many others will work but sometimes they are missing dependencies.
Last edited by smokey01 on Thu 17 Jan 2013, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

kattami

#3712 Post by kattami »

Thank you very much.

I will boot to RAM and test the 15.0.1 version to see if it works well.

:-)

Wognath

firefox

#3713 Post by Wognath »

kattami,
Here is another approach you could consider, if you have a frugal install. I have had good luck downloading firefox-#-tar.bz2 directly from mozilla, saving into the home directory (/initrd/mnt/dev_save), then extracting it there. There's a firefox executable in the resulting folder which has always run for me.

edit: I just saw the post by yr1945 on page 247
[quote]info only... i run firefox without installing it by downloading the firefox-17..0.1.tar.bz2 from mozilla.com... i extract the firefox folder with xarchiver... i open the extracted firefox folder and right-click on the firefox icon which is about 1/3 the way down the page (the icon is a diamond shape)... after the right-click i select “send to

steve_s

Re: desktop icons saluki

#3714 Post by steve_s »

Van78 wrote:hello

I do not know how to search through the 242 pages in this thread so I gonna aks here though I am sure it has been dealed with before :(

Ok, I got Saluki 23 on USB flashdrive frugal and frugal hdd.
Both have the same issue in common. I can not see any desktop icons and I can not change the wallpaper. This is not so fine.

I have a Samsung R65 laptop with 1400x1000 Nvidia I think . If that is of any interest.

Can you help me since I only want a nice looking puppy that is easy to be administered for a Windows newbe.

Thanks alot
Is there a way to fix this without a reinstall? I've got 23 running on a flash drive, ran great, then I suddenly lost all desktop icons and wallpaper..I have menu and terminal but not the others..even restartwm didn't get em back..ideas?

**Edit: I cheated: I had a previous copy of the save file so I replaced it and it works fine now. :wink:

oldyeller

#3715 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to know if there is a scan program to scan documents for Saluki

Thanks

Edit: I found the sfs for the scanner software

technosaurus

#3716 Post by technosaurus »

fyi - saluki-linux.com is no more :(
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

futwerk

#3717 Post by futwerk »

new background.
Attachments
salukial29.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(16.21 KiB) Downloaded 1486 times

HiDeHo

#3718 Post by HiDeHo »

the saluki linux site http://saluki-linux.com/ is now down atm can anyone please advise as to the status and if we can access it again.

Tote

#3719 Post by Tote »

I don't think it's maintained any more. Carolina is a Saluki fork, also Saluki NOP is available.

Ray MK

#3720 Post by Ray MK »

What an absolutely stunning OS this is - runs on almost anything from a 10yr old ram challenged Acer laptop - to a 2yr old i3 E732 laptop - and on the E732 it flies.

Using it with Opera 12.15 at the moment and it is insanely fast. Xfce desktop too - excellent combination.

Outstanding puppy - Many thanks Jemimah (hope all is well) - best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

badrra

Look What Saluki Puppy Did to my Desktop

#3721 Post by badrra »

This is not MAC or Windows its Puppy Saluki

canin

#3722 Post by canin »

(for scanning, peasyscan is working really well)

since the saluki-page is down, will the repo stay online (of pets and isos on smokey01.com/saluki)?

smokey01

#3723 Post by smokey01 »

Yes, for the time being anyway.

8-bit

#3724 Post by 8-bit »

I have a Toshiba laptop with 4 gigs memory and AMD dual core processor currently running Win 7.
The WIFI is RTL8192 and last I checked only the CE version is part of the kernel.
So will I have to compile a driver for my WIFI card?
Where do I get the kernel source and devx SFS files for use with Saluki?
I had a very old version of Saluki and am currently downloading number 12 which should be the latest.
I have ran earlier versions of Puppy on that laptop and used a Win 2000 driver with ndiswrapper since I did not have the source code for the driver (updated).
The linux driver for Puppy seemed to have problems of loosing connection.

I saw some SFS files on jeminah/saluki/isos, but the latest one shown was back for version 8 and I do not know if it still applies.

smokey01

#3725 Post by smokey01 »