Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pelo

What is the difference obtained ?

#3766 Post by Pelo »

Ok, but why openssl is important.. What is the difference obtained ?
Attachments
Salukitasks.jpg
Saluli is so efficient. It surprises me each time.
(60.31 KiB) Downloaded 1598 times

mikeslr

#3767 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pelo,

Per wikipedia: "OpenSSL is a software library to be used in applications that need to secure communications over computer networks against eavesdropping or need to ascertain the identity of the party at the other end. It has found wide use in internet web servers, serving a majority of all web sites."

Consequently, having a functional SSL is primarily the concern of web-servers. If, as a "user", you don't mind passing along malware, it of little importance: Except, I have the impression that with the general concern over the spreading of malware some webserver software has now become sufficiently sophisticated to check whether the SSL of someone seeking access is satisfactory and deny access if it is not.

With out of date SSL, you may not be able to manage finances on-line. And I have to wonder why anyone would want to access an on-line banking account if the transmission wasn't secure at both ends.

mikesLr

yr1945

#3768 Post by yr1945 »

Is the first pet listed sufficient, or do I need to install all three? I do not know anything about a pet that starts with DEV and DOC. Are they required? Thank You.

ps: When installing the first one, I got a message saying it may already be installed, and overwriting could ruin my system?

mikeslr

#3769 Post by mikeslr »

Hi yr1945,

One of the reasons Puppies can use the same applications as, say, Ubuntu while taking up less Storage space and RAM, is the way it packages applications. As a general rule, Puppy Devs divide a standard package in three: that which is needed for the package to run, development files needed for debugging and further development, and documentary files needed to understand development and examination of the application. You can now guess which are the latter two. So, no, you don't need them.

Without getting into details as to how Puppies make use of the files within an application, it is generally safe to update applications --including openssl-- especially where others have not reported a problem.

However, there are two generally recommended precautionary techniques you should be aware of. Some of us use one, some the other, some both. Among their benefits is that they allow you to test applications without fear that if something goes wrong you'll have to delete your SaveFile/Folder and start from scratch. One --I only use if I'm trying something really experimental or planning major revisions to how my system operates-- is to backup my SaveFile/Folder. If you've come from Windows, think of it as like "creating a restore point". A Search, https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0 will provide a slew of posts about this technique.

The technique I always use is to Remove Puppies Automatic Save. There's a specific thread about it, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81911, and many posts scattered throughout the Forum. Running Saluiki, one thing you'll have to install shinobar's PupSaveConfig: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 081#457081 which will change Save Session module so that it can be configured as discussed in that thread. I've discussed this technique, and its consequences several times. See for example, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 758#867758 and http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 669#929669. Don't hesitate to ask if, after reading these, you have any questions.

mikesLr

p.s. If you follow the instructions for Removing the Automatic Stay on Puppies which, like Saluki, uses Xfce as window manager, you'll be able to perform a Manual Save via a Menu entry. But if you want a Desktop icon, or to include a launcher, you can install the pet available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 107#898107
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 15 May 2018, 23:26, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Banking and government taxes.. are not for my Puppy Saluki

#3770 Post by Pelo »

" you may not be able to manage finances on-line"
Well received.I will not use Saluki for Banking and government taxes..
That is true that SSL is not important for me..
Here above : pupsaveconfig is one of the best plus of Puppy. I set it to always ask at shutdown if i want to save the session or not.
Much better than to shutdown by switching off laptop when you did an huge error.

yr1945

#3771 Post by yr1945 »

mikeslr, thanks again for your informative posts.

I never understood DOC and DEV files and, therefore, just totally ignored them. At least, now I somewhat understand their purpose.

I do copy my savefiles to a usb flash drive.

I will now start experimenting and learn how to prevent Automatic Save Files when shutting down. I'm pretty sure I can do it based on the info you provided. I have read all the info numerous times. This will keep me busy for awhile. yr1945

yr1945

#3772 Post by yr1945 »

Just to make sure I understand this correctly? I can use Saluki to check my bank account once I update openssl?

mikeslr

Protecting your Funds and Credit

#3773 Post by mikeslr »

Hi yr1945,

Safe? Who knows. Safer? Maybe.

I don't check my banking account online. If I did, I'd use either banksy or puli, both of which were designed to deter malware and snoopers. Look for the latest versions and install the latest openssl into it if not already present.

I'm old school. Credit now operates at the speed of electronic transmission. I don't. Personal security is a personal responsibility. I exercise it by building hurdles to return the process to human speed.

Years ago I discovered how to setup a spreadsheet to keep track of bank account activity. Doing so takes almost all the drudgery out of it:

The first column, labelled Action, records checks written or deposits made.

The second column, labelled Cleared, is for a check-mark. When my bank statement arrives, it takes about 5 minutes to compare the transactions I've made in the first column with those the bank has noted in its statement. This is the same 5 minutes during which I decide --if a decision is necessary-- how much of any balance on credit cards, beyond minimum due, will be paid and to who. Doing that on a spreadsheet enables me to plug in the minimums, see what balance that would leave, estimate how much of that I'll need before my next deposit, and make adjustments before writing checks.

The third column, labelled Amount, shows the Amount of Checks issued and Deposits made. Deposits are entered as NEGATIVE numbers, and formatting shows them in RED.

The fourth column, labelled Balance, is a formula. The formula adds the balance from the prior ROW of the fourth column, then subtracts the Amount entered into the third column. [Which is why Deposits are entered as negative numbers in the third column].

The fifth is for notes, such as when a payment made the previous month, that I expected to Clear, hasn't. If it hasn't shown up by the following month, I'll try to find out why.

Math is done by the Spreadsheet. By now, I expect spreadsheets to be able to add and subtract without errors; something I can't say for myself if I'm being distracted. And its done instantly, providing an instant balance. That balance is more accurate than what a bank can tell me if went online as I know of checks I've issued which may not have already Cleared. The bank may not.

I don't make payments online. The fewer people who know anything about my bank accounts, the fewer chances of someone gaining access to my accounts. And should that occur, the easier it will be to track-down where the breach occurred.

Regarding making purchases online: Years ago, following the advice of how to do that safely, I opened a checking account at a bank at which I have no other accounts*. [Senior privileges -- no fee. But, if I didn't have them, it would still be no fee provided I kept an $100 balance]. That's the account I've associated with Paypal. It also provides a Debit Card. Pay using Paypal if possible, using the Debit Card number if not. [Paypal provide a 2nd hurdle before the account, itself, is reached]. As I always know my account's balance, (see above) which is minimal unless I know I'm going to use it and have made a cash deposit --therefore immediately available-- there's rarely any funds which could be diverted even if the one or two levels of security were breached.

One credit card with credit of less than $1,000 for those occasions when using the above account would be inconvenient. Paid in full when the bill comes. Offers to increase my credit are refused.

I have other credit cards which I'll use for local purchases --easy to track if there's a breach.

Both Bank of America and Chase now require prior authorization via home phone for purchases from 'strange locations/ strange vendors'. When going on a trip, I call from home phone and have them flag my account that from date x to date y there will be no activity (card not being taken) or to expect activity from Place A, B, C etc. The card is taken solely for emergencies. Traveler's check are still accepted pretty much anywhere.

* No other accounts at that bank. You may not be aware that under the Uniform Commercial Code --probably similar provisions in E.U.-- if your account at a bank is over-drawn, it has the right to withdraw funds from another account you have at that bank to zero out the over-draft. [But, they'll still charge you the over-draft fee]. I decline "over-draft" protection. As I always know my account balances, and there should never be an over-draft, I don't want to wait for my monthly statements to learn of any problem. I want to know immediately. Deprived of their opportunity to balance my account at the end of the business day, I'll get a phone call from the bank.

mikesLr

yr1945

#3774 Post by yr1945 »

mikeslr, once again, I want to thank you for the valuable information that you provided me. I had to read your info several times to fully understand all that you were trying to impart to me. I am now taking similar steps and actions to thoroughly protect myself online. yr1945

babaguy

#3775 Post by babaguy »

Great Post, Mikeslr, about your special card / account only used for online purchases, into which you deposit funds if you are going to be purchasing something online.

The only thing I can add is that one may be able to obtain a PAY-AS-YOU-GO Visa or MasterCard.

I'm based in the not-so-UK, and there are many of these available here, including one from the Post Office that is marketed as "Travel Money" - You top it up, and take it with you for vacation purchases.

I agree about PayPal - but I don't link my bank account to it - I link the PAYG card only, and top that card up at the corner shop if I know I have to buy some stuff or make a payment online...

This way hardly anyone knows or can find out about bank details...

Hope this helps someone(s)!

- babaguy
"Real happiness lies in making others happy." - Meher Baba

mikeslr

nice addition to my post

#3776 Post by mikeslr »

Hi babaguy,

Nice supplement to my post. It's been a while since I set my system up, and my local bank --the one associated with my paypal account-- is only a couple blocks from my home.

But a PAY-AS-YOU-GO Visa or MasterCard you can associate with PayPal and top up anywhere would certainly be convenient. I'll have to see if such is available on "this side of the pond"; and if there are any downsides to such arrangement.

Thanks,

mikesLr

P.S. To see follow-ups regarding Security "the old-fashioned way", and to this continue the discussion about it, please click this link, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 496#973496

Max Headroom

#3777 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day All, I'm just Wunderin' wot's the latest Firefox that Works w/ this Saluki? Please & is there a pet or sfs file Thanx & Similarly is there a portable zram pet available, Please?

:)K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

p310don

#3778 Post by p310don »

This is far from a definitive answer, as I don't use Saluki any more, but I use Carolina (Saluki's baby).

I have Firefox 45 ESR running on that, and the latest Palemoon. You could probably give those a whirl.