Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pacer106

#46 Post by pacer106 »

Can anyone tell me the name of the font used in this?
Attachments
saluki_logo_text.png
(32.38 KiB) Downloaded 2383 times

Ray MK

#47 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

Potential problem - no wifi working with Broadcom (is it wl.ko)? driver.

Just tried saluki on new laptop - Emachines (Acer) E732
and sadly no go with wifi.

I'm guessing the solution is kernel related and the appropriate modules
need to be activated (or whatever the proceedure is) but being a n00b,
I don't know how to do it.

I do know that racyNOP-5.2.2 with the later k3.0.7 kernel works 'cos
I just tried it.

Am sure Jemimah knows what's best - later kernel or tweek this one.

Many of the recently released budget (and expensive) laptops seem to have Broadcom wifi - and therefore - a large number of potential users
could be left wondering what to do.

Regarding acpi and suspend / resume etc, pemasu's ICE and DX series pup's have acpi etc working, as do the fatdog64 series puppy's.

Is it as simple as copying the folders over into saluki?
Probably not - but maybe some of what's there may be useful.

Hope the solutions don't produce too many headaches.

Thanks again to you all and very best regards - Ray

Tman

#48 Post by Tman »

Ray MK,

Broadcom wifi drivers will be in the final release. I'm positive that Jemimah will fix the acpi suspend/resume issue. Thank you for the input.

Ray MK

#49 Post by Ray MK »

Thanks Tman

Nice puppy - works really well on Acer TM 243LC with only 256mb ram.

Using it now with J's midori - really fast.

Next - try it on the EeePC 701SD - will feedback.
(Probably tomorrow as it is late here now)

Thanks again and best regards - Ray

James C

#50 Post by James C »

Quick test run live pfix=ram on my main Linux box. Sound and internet working on initial boot..... had to run through xorgwizard to get my desired 1440x900 resolution.Simple enough though.
Installed Opera 11.52 since I had it handy, working fine.

# report-video
Saluki, version 5.2.2 on Mon 28 Nov 2011

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

Not real impressive,but working ootb.....
# glxgears
563 frames in 5.0 seconds = 112.530 FPS
572 frames in 5.0 seconds = 114.212 FPS
576 frames in 5.0 seconds = 114.898 FPS
570 frames in 5.0 seconds = 113.983 FPS
557 frames in 5.0 seconds = 111.345 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1034MB (157MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 28 Nov 2011 09:30:15 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.39.4 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Tue Sep 13 23:40:41 GMT-8 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Unknown distribution

Ethernet controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
Multimedia audio controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1034016 408872 625144 0 34244
-/+ buffers: 374628 659388
Swap: 1228936 0 1228936
#

tubeguy

wallpaper time!

#51 Post by tubeguy »

http://tubeguy.org/puppybg/saluki1280x1024.jpg

Did one with Saluki in Arabic after reading the Saluki Wiki article.

Is there a larger version of the Saluki logo?
Attachments
saluki600.jpg
(24.78 KiB) Downloaded 2199 times
saluki.jpg
(106.98 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

BHINTZ

#52 Post by BHINTZ »

Midori has done everything I have asked including facebook and hulu and is very fast.

Dillo 3+ also works well and was used to download midori and seamonkey (also works well)

The only problem apart from not having a suspend function is that the Network Wizard is not persistent over reboot. The information is saved but must be reloaded. This was true of Racy as well

I sure hope you solve the acpi issue as suspend has become a necessity for me.

bob

Sage

#53 Post by Sage »

Tman - thanks for .pet.

Yes, glad to hear J confirms her preference for Midori - long gone time to dump SM.

Opera lovers - go straight to 11.6beta - experience suggests their alpha s outperform any Moz offering.

As to deletions, still need a FD formatter somewhere! Oh yes, when everything goes pear-shaped, it's still the best way in, esp. BIOS repair.

re. Thunderbird/Eudora conflict - it may be because Moz. acquired Eudora. Although it's still 'the choice of professionals', Moz have fiddled with it and partly Thunderbirdised it. Another reason to abandon SM completely. Use the proper tools for the job! In this case, I even take my own advice - I have never liked nor used the (bundled) Opera email client!

Brits, and soon RoW, will need a flashplayer for BBC iPlayer. Adobe continues to get bad Press, but it may be unavoidable presently, esp. as alternatives get even worse reviews. It's an historical issue with Auntie, dating back to the time Blair gave Billyboy an honorary gong for showing him how to switch on his PC. As a result, the Establishment were pressurised into using Windoze, although some at the Beeb opted for Bananas (or was it Oranges? Pears?) with some BeOS hybrid.

mavrothal

Kernel

#54 Post by mavrothal »

Is it decided which kernel saluki is going to use? 2.6.x or 3.x.x?
Also is it decided if it's going to use Aufs or unionfs?
My experience with the 3.1 kernel is that unionfs has problems particularly when booting from USB and going to suspend. In contrast Aufs looks rock-solid.
BTW aufs 3.x-standalone patches fine without any issue.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

ttuuxxx

#55 Post by ttuuxxx »

jemimah wrote:Here's a preliminary list of changes I would like to make.

Remove (redundant, unnecessary, not user-friendly, or better in repo):

Replace:
urxvt - lxterminal <-- does lxterminal fully replace urxvt? When I tried other terminals that weren't rxvt based, we lost certain functions, If I remember correctly the puppy package manager stopped working.
epdfview - evince <--- this is a great tradeoff, and bring better functions, like opens comic books, but it does add some weight like gconf, and if were adding gconf, then why use galculator? Gcalctooll is way better and also makes use of gconf :), its really linux's best somewhat small calculator.
cgtkcalc - galculator
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

jemimah

#56 Post by jemimah »

Ray MK wrote: Many of the recently released budget (and expensive) laptops seem to have Broadcom wifi - and therefore - a large number of potential users
could be left wondering what to do.
If only the problem were that simple. If I remember correctly, including wl causes a number of broadcom cards not to work. And not including it causes a number of cards not to work. The best we can do is include it and blacklist it. I would suspect that newer kernels would have better broadcom support, but I don't know that for sure.

jemimah

#57 Post by jemimah »

Sage wrote: As to deletions, still need a FD formatter somewhere! Oh yes, when everything goes pear-shaped, it's still the best way in, esp. BIOS repair.
How long ago did floppy drives become obsolete - at least a decade right? I think machines older than that are not in our target demographic.

sickgut

#58 Post by sickgut »

jemimah wrote:
sickgut wrote:will this new distro support EeePCs / netbooks like Puppeee/ fluppy did or will this be something unrelated, and if so then will we see a Puppeee/ Fluppy update in the future?
I don't intend to heavily customize and patch the kernel specifically for netbooks. I also have stopped work on Puppeee and Fluppy, in favor of getting some of these changes into the mainline if possible.

I do intend to test on the eee and try to only include programs that fit on smallish screens, and to make sure power management is working.
Thats great!!!

The community wasnt the same without you here, im very glad you are back, puppeee and fluppy where the most useful and important releases in the puppy community in my opinion and im very glad that you are heading another distro.

welcome back jemimah!

jemimah

Re: Kernel

#59 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:Is it decided which kernel saluki is going to use? 2.6.x or 3.x.x?
Also is it decided if it's going to use Aufs or unionfs?
My experience with the 3.1 kernel is that unionfs has problems particularly when booting from USB and going to suspend. In contrast Aufs looks rock-solid.
BTW aufs 3.x-standalone patches fine without any issue.
I haven't decided on kernel yet. I like to stick with one Barry is using, so it gets thoroughly tested. I've had some weird experiences with the 3.x kernel so far but its possible that new and better kernels will be released before this project is ready for release.

AFAIK unionfs hasn't been stable enough for puppy in many years. AUFS definitely.

I think booting from usb and then suspending is going to be a problem depending on whether the BIOS of your machines leave power on to the usb port during suspend or not. I've had machines where the built in usb cardreader works great after suspend, but the usb ports do not.

jemimah

#60 Post by jemimah »

ttuuxxx wrote:
jemimah wrote:Here's a preliminary list of changes I would like to make.

Remove (redundant, unnecessary, not user-friendly, or better in repo):

Replace:
urxvt - lxterminal <-- does lxterminal fully replace urxvt? When I tried other terminals that weren't rxvt based, we lost certain functions, If I remember correctly the puppy package manager stopped working.
epdfview - evince <--- this is a great tradeoff, and bring better functions, like opens comic books, but it does add some weight like gconf, and if were adding gconf, then why use galculator? Gcalctooll is way better and also makes use of gconf :), its really linux's best somewhat small calculator.
cgtkcalc - galculator
ttuuxxx
We can pull urxvt, but we need to leave rxvt in for the ppm and a few other functions. (Also we might want to add xterm because src2pkg needs it - I really want to work on getting src2pkg working in our devx because there's a number of situations where src2pkg works a ton better than new2dir and you get true drag and drop compile functionality [when it works])

Yes, we'll need gconf, that gets us a number of great apps, like ucview, and grandr.

I'm not familiar with gcalctool. If it's better, lets go for it. What I like about galculator is that the UI is very simple initially, but if you need a more complex calculator, it transforms into the UI you want.

pemasu

#61 Post by pemasu »

I would suspect that newer kernels would have better broadcom support, but I don't know that for sure.
/lib/modules/all-firmware/brcm
/lib/modules/3.1.0/kernel/drivers/staging/brcm80211

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02484
It was tempestuous which brought this to our attention and then it was related to the Barry.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211

Code: Select all

# ls -R
brcmfmac  brcmsmac  brcmutil
./brcmfmac:
brcmfmac.ko
./brcmsmac:
brcmsmac.ko
./brcmutil:
brcmutil.ko
These drivers have mostly replaced the need of wl driver.

The problem. 3.X kernels dont autoload b43 driver in Puppies. Barry Kauler has not found solution so far.....

pemasu

#62 Post by pemasu »

I have used aufs also with 3.1.0 kernel. I had problems with unionfs. Aufs patches worked fine for me too.

Acpitool needed to be patched though. It needed the version number patch.
I include the patched source here...dunno if anybody needs it, but if somebody does, it is easier to provide it than conditionally offer it so....

Dont take me wrong. I am not asking to use 3.x kernel or suggesting anything. I just provide information I have learned through my humble experiments.

Oops. I made pet of the source. I was going to create tar.gz package so that people dont think it is usable acpitool which will be installed. I think that compiling acpitool on target distro is the way to go.
I have fixed the upload.
Attachments
acpitool-0.5.1-patched-for-3.1-kernel.tar.gz
(158.11 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 16:20, edited 2 times in total.

jemimah

#63 Post by jemimah »

pemasu wrote:
I would suspect that newer kernels would have better broadcom support, but I don't know that for sure.
/lib/modules/all-firmware/brcm
/lib/modules/3.1.0/kernel/drivers/staging/brcm80211

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02484
It was tempestuous which brought this to our attention and then it was related to the Barry.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211

Code: Select all

# ls -R
brcmfmac  brcmsmac  brcmutil
./brcmfmac:
brcmfmac.ko
./brcmsmac:
brcmsmac.ko
./brcmutil:
brcmutil.ko
These drivers have mostly replaced the need of wl driver.

The problem. 3.X kernels dont autoload b43 driver in Puppies. Barry Kauler has not found solution so far.....
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Sage

#64 Post by Sage »

How long ago did floppy drives become obsolete
We discussed this whilst you were away. Many "good" boards still have a 34-pin FDD header. I use this frequently to flash BIOS from DOS - it's the safest way. However, a far more knowledgeable guru than I pointed out that FDD is still, and always will be a fundamental part of Unix and Unix-based systems. If I recall correctly, it was pointed out that it's the only way into some long-serving servers, just as true, real scsi is still current. But check what the wiser birds say.
So, 'obsolete' may not be the best description?! Shame to drop it completely in Puppy as it's such a good repair tool as a live-CD. But no objections to loading it from PPM, esp. as it will likely remain in future kernels, just like ISA support. {We/I also discussed the 'last' ISA slot, esp. w.r.t. superior sound cards.}

Aitch

#65 Post by Aitch »

Yes, I agree about floppy support
It's still used to input sound files to my ADAT and Akai s3000 sound samplers, and scsi zip drives are still in there, too
My current PC a supermicro twin Xeon server, with floppy, and has SCSI hdd too, and runs nicely on Slacko5.3SCSIPAE
Older hardware has always had a new lease of life in puppy....don't reject floppy, or drop support just yet, please

Aitch :)