Working TFTP server which accepts writes and not dnsmasq

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
puppy_newb

Working TFTP server which accepts writes and not dnsmasq

#1 Post by puppy_newb »

Hi guys,

I think this can't be done in puppy at all. I have been working on this for 4 months now and have no answers and no closer to a solution. I need a TFTP server for puppy linux lucid 5.2.8 which is not at read only TFTP server like dnsmasq. I need to be able to copy files from switch config to the puppy linux TFTP server. Is this a limitation of Puppy 5.2.8? I'm about to give up on this project because it looks like it just cant be done. Any thoughts or ideas?

gcmartin

Understanding that TFTPD32 may help

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Having used TFTP in Windows for over 15 years, I am not an authority on TFTP server-client use in Linux.

But, understanding your requests over the past weeks, you have a business class Switches that you want to write those configurations from those switches to Puppy

These are not normal switches that are used in homes for personal use. And, like the ones from 3Com, IBM and Cisco that I am familiar with, the tools (utilities) for backup of their switches including the TFTP clients were shipped on CD from those manufacturers when you receive the switches. Further, in all cases, the TFTP clients were available over the internet from the switch manufacturers.

If you choose not to use your vendor's solution, you may want to request help with someone creating a PET using the TFTPD32 source code. This appears a potential solution to address the need.

There is further potential application of that tool as it MAY offer some features that other application's in this community would benefit from as well. And, when requesting, hopefully the PET developer will NOT cripple the TFTPD32 software because it has a wide range of useful application.

If I knew how to compile source, I would assist. But, that's not my forte.

Hope this helps

puppy_newb

Re: Understanding that TFTPD32 may help

#3 Post by puppy_newb »

gcmartin wrote:Having used TFTP in Windows for over 15 years, I am not an authority on TFTP server-client use in Linux.

But, understanding your requests over the past weeks, you have a business class Switches that you want to write those configurations from those switches to Puppy

These are not normal switches that are used in homes for personal use. And, like the ones from 3Com, IBM and Cisco that I am familiar with, the tools (utilities) for backup of their switches including the TFTP clients were shipped on CD from those manufacturers when you receive the switches. Further, in all cases, the TFTP clients were available over the internet from the switch manufacturers.

If you choose not to use your vendor's solution, you may want to request help with someone creating a PET using the TFTPD32 source code. This appears a potential solution to address the need.

There is further potential application of that tool as it MAY offer some features that other application's in this community would benefit from as well. And, when requesting, hopefully the PET developer will NOT cripple the TFTPD32 software because it has a wide range of useful application.

Hope this helps
Hi GC,

Thanks again for your efforts. I just can't figure out what I could be missing. I get TFTP servers up but they seem to block the requests coming in. This is what happened when I installed a debian .pet of ATFTP server. I get so far to be shot down basically. I googled the errors I saw on ATFTP and did not find what could have been the root cause of it. I like TFTPD32 but is it command line also in linux?

puppy_newb

Re: Understanding that TFTPD32 may help

#4 Post by puppy_newb »

puppy_newb wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Having used TFTP in Windows for over 15 years, I am not an authority on TFTP server-client use in Linux.

Hope this helps
Hi GC,

Thanks again for your efforts. I just can't figure out what I could be missing. I get TFTP servers up but they seem to block the requests coming in. This is what happened when I installed a debian .pet of ATFTP server. I get so far to be shot down basically. I googled the errors I saw on ATFTP and did not find what could have been the root cause of it. I like TFTPD32 but is it command line also in linux?

Thanks for all your help! After 4 months the solution was commenting "ALL:ALL" from the /etc/hosts.deny file also known as TCP wrappers. Once this was un-commented, I was able to transfer files from a network switch directly to my Puppy Live DVD running a TFTP server at boot-up. I hope this helps somebody in the future!