How to change the icons in ROX's "Open With" menu? (SOLVED)

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
malderson

How to change the icons in ROX's "Open With" menu? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by malderson »

I recently upgraded to Lupu 5.2.8 from 3.01, and have found there are a great many improvements to customizing it to my liking. One issue I cannot find has to do with the "Open With" menu that can be selected when one right-clicks a file.

I was able to easily add Adobe Reader to the menu, but it came with a generic shell-script icon. I can find no way to change that to a different icon (i.e. an Abobe specific icon). In Puppy 3.01 it involved finding and editing a text-style config file, but the wiki article that once explained it is gone and likely wouldn't apply anyway.

Is there a way to specify the icon that appears in the "Open With" menu? It wouldn't change the functionality of the menu item, merely the eye-candy factor.
Last edited by malderson on Thu 01 Dec 2011, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

dejan555

#2 Post by dejan555 »

Open the open with script in rox filer then right click on it to set icon?
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

malderson

#3 Post by malderson »

I tried that. And while it works for desktop/pinboard and Roxfiler icons, it didn't change the icons that appear in the "Open With" menu, even though the "Change Icon" dialog shows the path to the desired icon. That leads me to think there is a config file somewhere that defines that menu that I cannot find.

`f00

#4 Post by `f00 »

hi malderson

if it follows the usual roxiness..

r-click->'set icon' in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith and/or SendTo dirs,subdirs for the symlink (or use the 'customize' contextmenu thingie to find the path).. drag'n'drop from your local icon store. Depending on how used, you may need to do it in both the OpenWith and SendTo places.

Cleaning up globicons (both in .config and Choices) is another deal if you so desire, there tend to be extraneous entries sometimes ;)

don570

change an icon for a Rox menu item

#5 Post by don570 »

To study how to change or install an icon--->

1) go to /usr/local/apps and do a right click on one of the
files that you see. Select 'Look inside' and you will have opened
a folder with three files (usually) . The hidden file is called
.DirIcon. It starts with a dot to make it hidden.

It is usually a link to an image icon that you want to be displayed
next to the menu item.

By studying how this is done you can make a menu option in
Rox-Filer by duplicating the method.

malderson

#6 Post by malderson »

`f00 wrote:hi malderson

if it follows the usual roxiness..

r-click->'set icon' in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith and/or SendTo dirs,subdirs for the symlink (or use the 'customize' contextmenu thingie to find the path).. drag'n'drop from your local icon store. Depending on how used, you may need to do it in both the OpenWith and SendTo places.
That did it! Dejan555 provided the method, `f00 provided the location.

Thanks.