Racy NOP 5.2.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

#46 Post by rcrsn51 »

Henry wrote:This list is pretty much what I have in both machines:
sane-backends-1.0.21-q1
xsane-0.997-patched-w5
The first thing I noticed about RacyNOP is that Gray stripped out all the scanner components. I was able to put some of my own stuff back in and get scanning working with my HP Officejet wifi. But it should be Gray's responsibility to provide a compatible scanner package.
libnetsnmp-15-mu-p4
hpliplite-3-11.5
CUPS-1.4.1
I used my own hplip-print package and got wifi printing working with the built-in CUPS 1.3.11. I don't know if the above combination is compatible with RacyNOP. But as far as CUPS is concerned, there is no difference between wired Ethernet and wifi. As long as the device has a valid IP address, CUPS should auto-detect it.
Does scanning work when connected by USB?

Yes, when it works, of course..
?????

Henry

#47 Post by Henry »

BTW the reason I went from CUPS-i.3.1 to 1.4.1 was that it was required by Libreoffice to print, as I recall.

There are many troubles associated with wifi ("wireless") in Racy when I search the forum. It looks like a mess. I'm not a wireless expert but it seems RacyNop gets a wireless connection just as well as it gets an ethernet one but it doesn't get any data from it and/or keep it. Wish I could say that better.

PS: Oh, now I understand your question about USB. I had no idea you were referring to a wireless printer. The only way the 4480 can print/scan is by USB. When I say wireless I'm only talking about the router.

Henry

rcrsn51

#48 Post by rcrsn51 »

Henry wrote:The only way the 4480 can print/scan is by USB. When I say wireless I'm only talking about the router.
Now I understand. I am surprised that your combination of PETs supports printing but not scanning. What happens if you run "xsane" from the command line? Do you get any error messages?

Or run the commands "sane-find-scanner" and "scanimage -L".

Henry

#49 Post by Henry »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Henry wrote:The only way the 4480 can print/scan is by USB. When I say wireless I'm only talking about the router.
Now I understand. I am surprised that your combination of PETs supports printing but not scanning. What happens if you run "xsane" from the command line? Do you get any error messages?

Or run the commands "sane-find-scanner" and "scanimage -L".
xsane gives a popup "no devices available"

# sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x6c11 [Photosmart C4400 series]) at libusb:001:008
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.
#

scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
#

Henry

#50 Post by Henry »

I just took a screen shot of my current RacyNop. (Top photo)
Actually, everything is in good order except the scanning and wifi. http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm

Henry

#51 Post by Henry »

placeholder

rcrsn51

#52 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try the hplip_scan-3.12.4.pet from here.

Henry

SCANNING PROBLEM SOLVED

#53 Post by Henry »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Try the hplip_scan-3.12.4.pet from here.
That did it! What can I say? Thanks

Henry

NOW, IF ONLY I COULD CONNECT WIFI

#54 Post by Henry »

A couple of pages back I asked if anyone was able to connect to the internet via a wireless router in RacyNop, aka Puppy Linux 5.2.2.

I have spent many frustrated hours trying to do this, and suspect it may not work.

There is an excellent visual step by step procedure by CatDude at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65346

This is actually for Lupu-520, but I guess it's essentially the same for Racy.

At the end I get the message: NETWORK CONFIGURATION OF wlan0 SUCCESSFUL, but this seems to result regardless of the key I enter, and I always get "Could not connect to remote server"

Is it working for you? gray, comment?

Sylvander

#55 Post by Sylvander »

1. I'm no Puppy expert, but...
I've always so far managed to connect Puppy to my router, both by wire and wirelessly.

2. Have you first tried connecting by wire?
And entered the routers' IP address in a Firefox window address box...
And entered the required username and password to gain access to the routers configuration settings?
And checked that they all look OK?
e.g. Perhaps wireless connection has been disable within the router config settings! :(
You should configure/choose an encryption system for the wireless communication [WPA/WPA2?]
The device you are connecting with must be capable of using the chosen encryption system, and configured to use it.
e.g. My Sony Bravia TV cannot use WPA2, only WEP & WPA.

3. Once you can connect successfully by wire, you know the router is functional...
And can try wireless connection with greater confidence.

4. For remote connection BY WIRE to my router...
[wireless connection of my downstairs Sony Smart-TV to the upstairs router worked unreliably, due to poor signal strength]...
I bought a Devolo Powerline Adapter [wireless+3_wired_connection_sockets].
I connect [any suitable device] to the Devolo unit-2 either wirelessly, or by wire.
Unit-1 is connected by wire to the router...
Unit-2 connects to unit-1 [with encrypted communication] via the house electrical power cables.
VERY RELIABLE, simple, and trouble free.
Cost about £90 methinks, but worth it.

Ray MK

#56 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Henry

Never had any trouble connecting via wireless with any NOP
from QrkyNop120 onwards.
So WaryNOP-511, RacyNOP-522, Saluki-021 etc all work via wifi.
Seem to recall that NOP-431 was ok with wifi too.

The only exception was with QrkyNOP on a laptop that had a Broadcom wifi setup.
Had to load wl.ko or something similar to make it work.

Sylvander's power-line suggestion is worth looking into.

HTH - very best regards - Ray

PS. out of interest what wifi router are you attempting to use?
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Henry

#57 Post by Henry »

Thanks, Sylvander and Ray MK,

@ Sylvander: I've used wired ethernet with every computer,including this one, for several decades. I have the login and can see the settings (not sure I would know if they were correct - someone else installed the router.) It uses WEP and DHCP. Visitors here use wifi on their laptops. This is my first ever attempt at it, having just got my first laptop, actually an Aspire netbook. The sgnal strength is excellent and always detected.

@ Ray MK: Good to hear from you again! Thanks for confirming that you have used wifi with RacyNop 522r1. I am using a Cisc0/Linksys E1000

Henry

CAN'T RESTART WINDOW MANAGER

#58 Post by Henry »

RacyNop 522r1 shuts down OK, but -

"restart WM" goes to a blank screen requiring power off to unlock.

"ctl+alt+ bkspc" goes to a blank screen requiring power off to unlock.

"menu, shutdown, logout" goes to a blank screen requiring power off to unlock.

This is a serious showstopper. Sorry I'm a late adopter on this puppy. Hope it's not too late to get it fixed.

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#59 Post by Sylvander »

1. After any "improper-power-off" [like you experienced]...
I ALWAYS scan&fix the partition_file_system...
Of the partition holding the OS that was running at the time.
Prior to any attempt at subsequent use of that OS.
e.g.
(a) If I was running a "live" Puppy CD with a pupsave on my internal HDD:
At next boot of that Puppy...
I'd run the command:
puppy pfix=fsck
That would scan&fix BOTH the Linux filesystem inside the pupsave file AND the host partition filesystem.

2. Perhaps the partition filesystem, of the partition holding your Puppy, has been corrupted...
And then perhaps because you failed to fix it prior to next use....
The Puppy files themselves have become corrupted.

So...
(a) What kind of Puppy install?
(b) Pupsave file in use?
(c) What kind of filesystem[s] in use?

Henry

Can't drop out of X to prompt.

#60 Post by Henry »

Good point about corruption! I'm new at this kind of "install." The aim is to get a portable computer (netbook) but also to get a portable operating system with data (bootflash).
Of course the netbook has no CD drive, but again, the aim is not to install on the hard drive.

So I have nothing except windows 7 on the internal hard drive, which I don't use. Racy, racysave.2fs(2 versions each with backups for hot backup and restore), various sfs's,and all my data are on the bootflash. Yes, I keep a separate backup flash drive or two! I guess you would call it a portable frugal. It's on one of the new tiny flash drives, which only protrude about 4 mm from the netbook.

I'm now looking at how best to fsck. Will get back to you shortly on that, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

File system. Hmmm. Seems to be fat32 on the flash. Otherwise I always use ext2.

EDIT: My options are extremely limited since I cannot drop back to a prompt. This is an incredible fault. While the concern for possible corruption is valid, that is not the problem here. I have confirmed this with fresh "empty" RacyNop boot flashes, which still have the problem, and with full Slacko 3.3 bootflashes, which do not.

EDIT 2: I wrote in my first post of this series:
2. Early on above I read Geoffrey's patch for a logout problem, which I think gray implemented in r1. I still seem to have this problem or similar. Any word on that?
I just went back and looked at Geoffrey's suggested fix, and it sems gray included it verbatim so there's something else involved. This is such an obvious problem that I don't understand why others don't have it. Check sum of my iso is good. gray, I trust you are reading this?

Henry

Henry

Racy History of problems

#61 Post by Henry »

I'm trying to read through some of this long thread of the release and followup of Racy 5.22 final (not RacyNop)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 671#564671

gray built RacyNop on/out of Racy. Same or similar problems (as logout to locked blank screen) were reported and fixed more or less in that thread, so it wouldn't be surprising to find them cropping up in RacyNop and we cannot blame gray for them!

Thanks to gray we have a series of excellent Nops, all of which I have used exclusively as my OS. I am not looking forward to "raspberryPiNOP"

Ray MK

#62 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Henry -

SOME GENERAL NOTES - HOPEFULLY USEFUL TO ALL.

Recent Puppy developments provide a massive choice of newer Puppy's all suitable for Netbooks.
Here are some of my favorites,
waryNOP-511, racyNOP-522, quirkyNOP-120, Saluki-021/022, Lucid-528, Dpup-Exprimo.
If you have a 64bit proc. then Fatdog64 and Lighthouse64 are superb.

IMHO,
The simplest and most reliable way to boot, dual-boot or multi-boot Puppy is to use grub4dos,
installed to a USB stick or an SDcard. (although the exact same proceedure can be used on a HDD partition)

After downloading your chosen ISO's and burning one of them to a CD, boot it and use it to do the following.

Install grub4dos to a vfat formatted usb stick or SDcard after,

1) first making sure it is marked as bootable (using Gparted),
2) creating at least one Puppy folder containing the puppy files (copied from ISO) required to boot,
(you can put as many different Puppy's in thier individually named folders, as space or desire allows)
3) tell grub4dos to install itself to that disk only (making sure you tick the appropriate box),
4) grub4dos will automagically search the disk and prepare a suitable menu.lst file and install itself to the selected disk (it will read multiple disk's if so instructed).

Finally - reboot - and go.
The above proceedure can be repeated ad-infinitum.

(Saluki, Lucid-528, Exprimo and all the later NOP's have a good version of grub4dos).

If you prefer to boot from HDD or usbHDD (instead of USB or SDcard) Prepare the HDD first by:
1) using Gparted to make 3 ext partitions of roughly equal size and then make a 4th swap partition of approximately 500/800mb in size.
2) flag any partition as bootable (1st is ok in this instance)
3) make a folder(s) on 1st partition named Saluki (luki, luci, rNOP, wNOP, Pup1, P2, P3, or whatever)
4) copy the essential puppy files (or all of them if unsure) from the ISO/CD to your folder(s)

Now start grub4dos and follow the instructions.

A note of CAUTION -
the above use of Gparted assumes that you have no desire to keep any other OS's or files that may be on the disk.
Anything that needs to be saved should be backed-up first.

HTH - regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Henry

#63 Post by Henry »

Good morning, Ray,

Thanks for that orderly and useful tutorial that clarifies a number of situations. I will file it for future reference, as I'm sure others will.

Henry

Henry

Blank screen - wrong observation "SOLVED"

#64 Post by Henry »

I apologize for not being more thorough. The blank screen was not locked, only blanked. Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to start typing into a dark screen. I never see a prompt or the exiting and saving messages, which occur in the dark.(Other than that everything is fine.)

I hit control-alt-backspace and the screen goes permanently dark unless I type reboot , which it does.

If instead I type xwin, (or was it xorgwizard?) X eventually reappears with a different resolution, apparently a default? video driver, the one I originally replaced to see circles, not ellipses.

But wait- there's more - I do ctl+alt+bksp and I get a command prompt, something I haven't seen for a long time. I type xorrgwizard and get the familiar probe, etc. and somehow emerge with a working X but with ellipses instead of circles and a pop up saying since it was working I could hit OK to decline the video upgrade. What a choice.

Anyway, I restored from a backup racysave, guessing I know a little more about the problem now. Sorry for misleading - I hate looking dumb.

Just to confuse things more, if I try Restart WM I get a screen split into two halves, right and left reversed. I'm not making this up. See the photo - it has to be a photo because it's correct in a screen shot. Only a reboot will fix this.

EDIT: Sometime later. I have concluded that it's some kind of a video driver problem/incompatibility that I will have to learn to live with, rather than continuing to plague all you nice people here.

Both the new netbook and RacyNop have proven extremely sturdy after all my beating on them. I'm not letting go of my super QuirkyNop desktop, but I think Racy is the one that should have been called quirky.
Attachments
splitscreen.jpg
(17.11 KiB) Downloaded 1331 times

Henry

ONE MORE SHORT, SIGNIFICANT REPORT

#65 Post by Henry »

I'm testing on a brand new Acer Aspire One 722 using fresh "bare" bootflash drives as follows:

RacyNop-r1, Racy-522, and Racy-53 all have the above described blind logout problem.

QuirkyNop-12, Slacko Final , Wary-53, (and likely most) do not have this problem.

Does this suggest something about Racy? The other thing that may be common to the Racys is the optional Xorg-1.11.0 upgrade, which may be also involved. As you can probably tell, I'm a user, not a developer.