SAMBA - Use to share your Puppy content on your home network

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Tahrpup already has Samba built-in. As a common courtesy to 666philb, you should at least mention that before instructing users to install a different package.

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Maybe you should read the document for a better understanding.

All documents allow for comments.

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Seems a fairly comprehensive guide... and the point is about providing and setting up a SAMBA server not just the client ...the current exercise with packages was to see if it could be shrunk and made a bit more friendly for easier inclusion in puppy. The guides are there for general file sharing help though the package I have played with is referred to.

I have worked on the package/gui...I have not contributed towards any guides ...though as mentioned anyone is welcome to chime in... for matters clarity, additional information or perhaps mention any errors in the usual way of informative blogs/document.
Time and effort has obviously been expended to produce such documentation on a voluntary basis regardless of how the information has been compiled.

The name of the game is making improvements and helping users.

mike

gcmartin

Placeholder for Instructions for Appril users

#19 Post by gcmartin »

Guide coming in the future

RickGT351

#20 Post by RickGT351 »

Are there going to be insructions for Precise (eg 5.7.1) or are they hiding somewhere already

Semme

#21 Post by Semme »

What have you tried Rick? Sparing me the 571 boot, does Precise come with Samba already installed?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

don570

#22 Post by don570 »

Precise has samba client installed as default.

So if Samba server (or Windows equivalent) is running in another computer
it is easy to make connection with YASSM or equivalent.

Mike Walsh

#23 Post by Mike Walsh »

don570 wrote:Precise has samba client installed as default.

So if Samba server (or Windows equivalent) is running in another computer
it is easy to make connection with YASSM or equivalent.
Agreed. I'm in 571 right now; the YASSM suite is installed by default. The only modification I've made is to upgrade the YASSM 'share search' to version 2.9, which works with IP addresses, and makes searching for other machines on the network an absolute cinch. The .pet for this is in rcrsn51's thread, here:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63090

Do be aware of the need to employ the 'sec=ntlm' option with 3-series or later kernels. It will not work, otherwise. Don't ask me what it refers to, though..!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternatively, you might want to investigate rg66's 'X' series of Pups, based variously on Precise, Slacko and Tahrpup. The 'X' refers to the XFCE desktop environment.....and XFCE comes with the Thunar file manager by default. Thunar includes a 'Network connection' tool built-in as standard.....and it works really well, and is extremely easy to use, too.

Mike. :wink:

RickGT351

#24 Post by RickGT351 »

Semme wrote:What have you tried Rick? Sparing me the 571 boot, does Precise come with Samba already installed?
Yes it does, but since gcmartin has provided instructions for those other distros, I thought I would give a plug for Precise. I have had a play with it but didn't get anywhere

Jose A. Senna

#25 Post by Jose A. Senna »

Are there any documents on setting a Samba server in Racy 5.5?
Same for Wary 5.5.

rcrsn51

#26 Post by rcrsn51 »

You may need to use the old Samba-TNG server discussed here.

Mike Walsh

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

@Jose A. Senna:-

I'll second Bill on this one. I use Samba-TNG in Racy, as I do across my kennels. It works very well indeed.

Samba-TNG is one of the easiest to use small file-servers available for Puppy, to my way of thinking. It is, for instance, simpler to figure out than the FTP server, for example.....

Mike. :wink: