Portable firefrox

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
HiDeHo

Portable firefrox

#1 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi here is a neat trick i have used on my multi-puppy usb hdd and in any puppy os i set up.

I have run a portable version of firefox i got from the firefox website.
1. get the 32 or 64 bit firefox for your language hereFirefox download
2. extract it to a file on the puppytlinux hdd/flash drive called firefox.
3. click the firefox exectuable in it and it will run on your puppy.

you will need to make a .desktop file for this so it will show in the puppy menu. i just took the existing one for palemoon/ or default browser and changed it to point to the firefox file and such. you will also need to get a firefox icon and point to that too.

when running this file it will update to the latest version of firefox and make the firefox userfolder in /root.

this version of firefox should run in all puppy linux os and also any other linux OS you may have installed.
neat aye.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Unfortunately, that's not the case (that it'll run on every Puppy version). My 4.3.1 setup could only run up to... I think it was v13 or v15 of Firefox, without doing any glibc modifications. The newer versions of Firefox also have an additional GTK3 requirement, I believe.

Also, that's the standard download, not a portable version. :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Moose On The Loose

#3 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Makoto wrote:Unfortunately, that's not the case (that it'll run on every Puppy version). My 4.3.1 setup could only run up to... I think it was v13 or v15 of Firefox, without doing any glibc modifications. The newer versions of Firefox also have an additional GTK3 requirement, I believe.

Also, that's the standard download, not a portable version. :)
Yes, you have to use the "extended support" version if you want something newer from firefox. It seems like someone could put together a package that had firefox or some other that never needed to actually update. It could just somehow go look to see what the latest is and claim to be that. If it was made without any bugs, then is could work up until the day when a new bug/feature became required.