Changing screen resolution in Xorg - NOT!!!!

Please post any bugs you have found
slvrldy17

Changing screen resolution in Xorg - NOT!!!!

#1 Post by slvrldy17 »

Recieved for my birthday a new ViewSonic VA721 monitor to replace my old monitor and found out that the Xorg wizard does NOT accept changes to the screen resolution that it wants to default to. Default in puppy 1.0.8r1 appears to be 1024x768x16 and my monitor wants 1280x1024x16 - running Xorg wizard and highlighting 1280x1024x16 which is "supported" and hitting enter results in the test screen coming up with the note that you are running with a resolution of 1024x768x16 and a pop up box from the monitor stating that you need to change the resolution. Tried it with a fresh setup and a newly created pup001 file with same result. Any way around this PITA without having to resort to editing system files? Why have the wizard if it doesn't work???

Thanks,

Alice

MU

#2 Post by MU »

you could try to edit it manually.

Exit X (hit CTRL-ALT-Backspace).
Type:
mp /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Scroll down, until you see the lines with the resolution.

Edit them to your needs.
Save in the menu (CTRL-A), exit, type "xwin".
If it fails, the same procedure to restore your old values.

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Changing screen resolution in Xorg - NOT!!!!

#3 Post by BarryK »

slvrldy17 wrote: - running Xorg wizard and highlighting 1280x1024x16 which is "supported" and hitting enter results in the test screen coming up with the note that you are running with a resolution of 1024x768x16 and a pop up box from the monitor stating that you need to change the resolution.
Did you highlight the desired choice then press spacebar, then enter key, as the dialog box explains?
-- if not, you're not the first to make that mistake!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Changing screen resolution in Xorg - NOT!!!!

#4 Post by Lobster »

BarryK wrote: -- if not, you're not the first to make that mistake!
:oops: That was me. I was distracted by a squid (well that is my story)

Xorg does work at 1280x1024x16 on LCD because that is the set up and res I use. I always use xorg without any trouble

Hope you get it working - also check out the (auto-config and other options of the monitor if still having trouble)

let us know
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

slvrldy17

Solved! Thanks Mark

#5 Post by slvrldy17 »

Ended up using Marks method to change the resolution - for some reason hitting the spacebar in the Xorg wizard wasn't registering. All I got was a beep and no change. Chalk another one up to the learning curve! Thanks Mark,

Alice