Blender 2.61 with Cycles

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
PupGeek

Blender 2.61 with Cycles

#1 Post by PupGeek »

For those of you who want to try out the new Cycles rendering engine in Blender 2.61, I have uploaded it. You need the Xorg-High package for this to work.

The Cycles rendering engine claims to yield more realistic renders and nice fluid simulations (I am currently trying the fluid sim out with the help of an Andrew Price a.k.a. Blender Guru video tutorial.). Most obviously, however, Cycles allows you to view the rendered scene in realtime, without having to re-render every time you make a change! 8) For more information on Cycles, you should check out the Introduction to Cycles video at http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/intro ... -to-cycles.

You can get it from here http://dotpups.de/puppy4/dotpups/PupGee ... reeRoxapps

P.S. This only applies to the 2.60 build. I am not having such good luck with the fluid simulation in ubuntu. May be human error though, because my luck is no different when using the windows version.
Last edited by PupGeek on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 17:24, edited 2 times in total.

PupGeek

#2 Post by PupGeek »

Despite the potential problem of the fluid simulation, Cycles is still good for viewing your render in real time without re-rendering.

**update** I was able to get some fluid simulation in Windows (albeit not correctly) but still unable to get it in ubuntu. I haven't tried fluid sim specifically in puppy yet, but have tried the program and it works in LuPu 520.

After further testing, I found that the fluid simulation will bake but it will not display or render using this version of blender. I have gotten it to render using another version. Trouble is, its the latest build I have been able to find, an earlier build doesnt display or render textures properly (again, the windows version works fine -- in Windows, but no keyboard control in WINE).

PupGeek

Update.......

#3 Post by PupGeek »

Upon reading a post from the builder of this version, I found that Cycles does NOT support fluids at this time....... So now we wait.......

PupGeek

Update.......

#4 Post by PupGeek »

I managed to have gotten blender 2.61 with cycles to work with fluid simulation. The build on graphicall.org still does not support it, but someone on there got it to work by downloading a ppa build. I followed suit, placed the new build along with the required extra libraries in with an extracted copy of the last build that I uploaded and after some tweaking, it works! I am uploading this new build as i type. As for Luxrender, this new build does not have it, sorry folks.

For those who do not know about cycles, it is a new rendering engine for blender that makes your modelling experience better and easier. Materials can be applied easier and more intuitively, for example. As an added benefit, cycles allows you to see the rendered product right there in the 3d window. Any changes you make to your scene will even be rendered in realtime!! Of course, to use that feature, you should set the samples values low, or it will be very time-consuming. Keep in mind, also, that larger images will take more time to render.

My recommendations for the samples values are:

for realtime view: <= 16 Rough, but ok for realtime.
for intermediate renders: 64-256 Good for a rough draft.
for final renders: => 512 Hint: you should set this value high and abort the render when it is to your liking. (e.g. set value to 1024, stop at 512 and you will get a better render than a complete one at 512.). You can save the image after aborting.

This applies to Blender 2.61 with cycles and I wish to leave 2.60 up for those who prefer to use Luxrender.