Will Mozilla be up to it?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.

Will Mozilla be up to it?

#1 Post by Guest »

I was editing the wiki
in the same way, in the same place

Both times Mozilla crashed. I had to download Opera. Will a stable release of Mozilla be ready by 17 May? Opera has version 8 and it works (so does the earlier version in Pupget)
:cry:
For some reason I have yet to fathom (no complaints) ads are not appearing in Opera - maybe their servers are resting.
:lol:
The other problem is that to use mail in Mozilla you have to close the browser.
Defeats the purpose for me.

I would strongly suggest (if not troublesome) that we use a browser that works now - not on a promise and a wing and a prayer

A browser still needing heavy development may not "just work" for a few months yet. We should not use something that is not working now.

I would recommend putting Mozilla in Pupget and using Opera for this release
(so easy to say)

:idea:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

You can open Mail module with Mozilla running, from the "Windows" menu in Mozilla.
The fact that you can't from the menu is my "fault", not Mozillas -- reason behind that goes back to running on systems with little RAM, we wanted to restrict opening of multiple Mozilla windows.

Mozilla is very stable for me.
can you post the exact conditions to cause a crash so I can see it too?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Ah good - so mail is still runnable - back to Mozilla Mail (still to work out html for sylpheed - which I believe it does) Also the Opera question is answered by John Murga offering an Opera version.

Anyway I am so fickle, I managed to turn off the menus in Opera and am back in Mozilla.

I am not sure if the conditions can be duplicated (I changed the wiki in Opera) but let me try and write them down . . .

Nope it is OK

Ok here is a mozilla bug. Move to the bottom right hand handle and click and drag up and in (to resize mozilla) Mozilla goes a little odd, the menu bar dissapears off screen and the only way to resize is to use the resize option (right click on Mozilla) from the Puppy menu bar.
Anyone else experience this?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

Ok, I installed latest Mozilla on my old 0.9.6 Puppy and it worked ok, but even though faster than Firefox at the time, I went back to Firefox. Then hardrive quits.

I am now using John Murga's Opera Puppy 1.0.1. Opera 8.0 was bit of pain and still has its time out problem for big webpages (probably because I have very slow dial up connection) so I easily "installed" latest 1.0.3 Firefox with no problems.

In other words, its not a big deal to download and install any of the three BIG browsers. Just get the correct version.

I am sure its possible to make Sylpheed auto open html mail in Dillo, but I prefer it way it is where you go through the extra step to manually do so. Otherwise all those html junk emails auto-open. With just text, they only open to some buried non-sense text aimed at fooling filters. I dont actually have to see their annoying sales pitch. By way neat that Sylpheed now has filters. Is their a limit to number you can set up? I have just been adding any new spam crap I receive to them. Take that, "ClAL

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote: Ok here is a mozilla bug. Move to the bottom right hand handle and click and drag up and in (to resize mozilla) Mozilla goes a little odd, the menu bar dissapears off screen and the only way to resize is to use the resize option (right click on Mozilla) from the Puppy menu bar.
Anyone else experience this?
Works ok for me.