trouble with ALSA versioning

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

trouble with ALSA versioning

#1 Post by nubc »

I use a certain box for music playback. Very recently I ran out of hdd space, then acquired a new hard drive and made a fresh full install of Wary 5.1.1. I disconnect this box during the week and power it up on weekends. After the computer is inactive for 5 days, the first boot has issues with sound. Here is the error message:

Code: Select all

Potential ALSA version problem. VLC failed to initialize your sound output device (if any). Please update also-lib to version 1.0.23-2 or higher to fix this issue.
After running ALSA setup a few times, rebooting several times, and messing around with video files, the sound usually clears up. But this messing around can easily consume 30 minutes of my time, which is a major annoyance. One time, the sound recovered when I opened a video file with the default player, instead of VLC. Another time, today in fact, the problem cleared when I used "Open with" on the context menu to call up VLC to play the video.
What I gotta do to fix this? Anybody got a alsa-lib 1.0.23-2 to share with me? Is this alsa-lib available in a particular Wary version? Is the error message a valid indicator, or is something else going on? (For example, the sound might not be recognized on first boot.)
Last edited by nubc on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#2 Post by nubc »

I discovered another circumstance which causes a similar error. Another Wary computer had been running for several hours. I was streaming a podcast in mplayer plug-in embedded player, and I decided to simultaneously play one of my own videos with VLC. A similar error message showed up, saying VLC cannot play the file because my audio device was not ready for playback, words to that effect. Eh, this is probably not the same issue.

saintless

#3 Post by saintless »

I'm not sure if this will help you but you can try this suggestion:
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php ... 90#p296777
wizandrew wrote:I SOLVED IT!
after poking around in the advanced options of VLC and trying basically everything it started working after i changed:
"Audio output frequency" from -1 (default) to 48000
in ADVANCED MODE->audio