Follow the /opt standard for added software

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
technosaurus

#31 Post by technosaurus »

DocSalvage wrote:This admittedly is an implementation issue, best solved by pagination in the GUI, but the fact remains that most of them don't and we don't have time to rewrite every tool we use.
gtk needs to show some love to the file widgets anyways. Aside from file managers themselves (and a few projects that got fed up waiting for gtk to fix their crap - mtpaint for one) most programs wouldn't (or shouldn't) need to change anything.

Your /opt approach would be quite simple in BSD - they can bind a directory onto another (similar to union/aufs) yet linux still has no unioning support in mainline while nearly very single distro maintains some type of unioning patches.

<sidebar>
The LTS kernels were a good step for stability, but backports are essentially forbidden, so adding new hardware is difficult at best. News flash! when new products come out they sometimes have new hardware.

With a simplified file system, boot process, graphics subsytem and stable API, it would make great sense for large software to be made for Linux only - No Mac or Windows port required since it could be sandboxed in a virtual machine, or run directly by booting directly into the software the way your old PS3/2/1/Sega/Nintendo/Atari/Colecovision/Pong boots right up to a game. They've been trying to get PCs as game consoles for years, but this is the obvious connection that noone is making.
</sidebar>
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

sunburnt

#32 Post by sunburnt »

technosaurus; Yeah, GTK should be abandoned, except there`s not much else...

DocSalvage; Actually the union is just an unnecessary complexity.
Adding this 3rd dimension to filesystem structure goes a long way in simplifying the locating of resources and thus improving reliability of installs and operation.
A union causes more file system problems than it solves.
It`s a patch to blend Squash files ( r/o ) with loose files ( r/w ).
So separate the r/o and the r/w F.S. parts and you don`t need the union!

# Perhaps unions aren`t in the kernel code because they`ll be phased out!
Evidently the kernel folks have something of the same thoughts I do...