Why Slackware instead of Ubuntu?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
steve_s

Re: I was getting into Ubuntu.... but ...

#16 Post by steve_s »

JegasLLC wrote:... its turning into a presentation - not an efficiency tool.
Yep, got that exacty right
JegasLLC wrote: I find the more or less naked approach Puppy has, lean, mean, to the point - and nice User Friendly features where us heavy lifters KNOW its saving us a lot of work...
And that's right one too 8)

ilanrab

#17 Post by ilanrab »

01micko wrote:Barry's woof has come a long way. It now supports building from other distro's binaries including Arch, Debian, ...
I do hope that Ubuntu isn't abandoned. It will be a lot of work however to shoehorn the newer packaging method into the woof mould.
Excellent historical perspective, 01micko. Thank you.

Isn't there someone other than Barry, on the team, capable of creating a source code branch for Woof, based on ubuntu? With source control (versioning), it shouldn't be a hassle to make it happen; The common Woof code, between the branches, can be shared on a permanent basis.

Cheers,
[b]ir[/b]

haitek

Slacko

#18 Post by haitek »

I also am a slackware fan, it was my first distro back in '93 when you had to write your own xfconfig. Ah those were the days. Thanx for this version of puppy. It combines all the things I love about linux and still works a treat. Thanx again.... 8-)

jdurand

#19 Post by jdurand »

Hi all, I'm new here but not new to computers & Linux.

A friend gave me her EeePC 2G because she didn't like the way Windows ran on it (no surprise).

Anyway, another forum suggested Puppy and I will say I'm very impressed with this.

But... I couldn't get Slacko Puppy to run my screen at the right size. Lucid Puppy works just fine. Any pointers to a thread where this might be discussed?

gerry

#20 Post by gerry »

Open the Slickpet application (icon on desktop). Click the "Drivers" tab, then the "test your graphics card".

My Acer Aspire One just worked, but my Thinkpad T60 needed the extra drivers "Mesa GLX" got by clicking the next button down.

If that does not work- we need someone else!

Are you using Slacko 5.3.3? I found that using earlier versions I could get the right resolution, but needed to set it up every time I booted.

Gerry

jdurand

#21 Post by jdurand »

I downloaded the latest version off puppylinux.org.

I've got Lucid running right now and the video report from that is
GLX 0.4
800x480 pixels

I'll have to re-test Slacko later...day job calls.