A nice VLC package

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
nic007

A nice VLC package

#1 Post by nic007 »

I often found it difficult to get VLC installed and working in some of my puppys. I have found a nice, small package compiled by OscarTalks. This one is the same version as the VLC that comes with Tahr605 but without all the Qt stuff. Pet package is only 13MB (I have converted mine to a maximum compression 10MB SFS module). I tested it running Precise 571 and Xenial 750 32-bit but it may even work with other (ubuntu based) puppys too. Download link: http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/vlc-2.1.6-wheezy.pet

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Nic.

Oscar's done a lot of nice packages over the years. I keep his 'no-deps' version of 2.1.0 'Rincewind' around as a standby; it's totally 'stand-alone', so it's the nearest thing to a portable you'll find for VLC. In fact, I've used Fred's 'portable'-scripts to turn this one into an AppImage.

It works beautifully. It does contain Qt libs, but only 2 of 'em; libQtCore, and libQtGui.....they're all it appears to need. And just 14 MBs in total.

Its only peculiarity (on my hardware, at least) is that it always fires up with audio disabled.....but it's simple enough to do Audio->Audio Device, then select your sound card. It works, though.....and it's dead reliable.

For anybody interested in the VLC-2.1.0 AppImage, you can find it here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TOTyJJ ... sp=sharing

Works in every Pup I've ever thrown it at.....and I'm not concerned with having all the latest fancy features; I just want a media player that consistently 'works'. And this hits the nail on the head.

Thanks, Oscar!

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Hi, Mike. . That one you are talking about did not work for me in Precise and Xenial. The wheezy one (which is based on ubuntu, I think) does work perfectly for me in the distributions as mentioned, no problems with sound either. Perhaps you can give a list of the distributions the version you are talking about works with as I know that you try many flavours of Puppys, could be helpful. Cheers

fredx181

#4 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike, sorry... your vlc appimage doesn't work for me neither, the one from nic007 does work, made appimage from it, had to use the "Chroot mode", btw, otherwise didn't work.
<link removed>
Getting errors playing some formats (e.g. mp4) with this but that's another story (need to install codecs etc.. (I'm testing on a very minimal system))

EDIT: Removed link to vlc-2.1.6-portable, since it's not usable

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 01 Apr 2019, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Mike, sorry... your vlc appimage doesn't work for me neither, the one from nic007 does work, made appimage from it, had to use the "Chroot mode", btw, otherwise didn't work.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/vvv ... ar.gz?dl=1
It also works in 64 bit puppies and derivatives with 32 bit compatibility sfs loaded. Also fatdog64-800.

OscarTalks

#6 Post by OscarTalks »

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things.

The 2.1.0-nodeps package was originally compiled as just 2.1.0 by someone else (01micko perhaps?) as it was a VLC that was intended for slackware-14.0 Slackos such as 5.6 and 5.7

I think the idea was that it should be used in conjuction with the full Qt package, but I plucked out the needed libraries (which were only a couple) and added them to 2.1.0 to produce 2.1.0-nodeps

The 2.1.6-wheezy VLC is one that I spent lots of time on, experimenting with compiling everything from source and adding extra optional libraries myself and then recompiling numerous times. The libraries for the Qt GUI are all included so other Qt packages are not needed.

One thing about that version is that although it may run in later Puppies, some codecs will very probably be missing. This is because Wheezy has libav in place of ffmpeg so the plugins will not be able to find the correct ffmpeg/libav libraries. Precise has a similar set of libav libraries so the Wheezy VLC may work reasonably OK in that.

I have some other VLC packages compiled from source.
The Stretch versions are again ones that I spent some time developing.
The Xenial one was just compiled against what was present with nothing added.
They are all 32bit, I have not done any 64bit ones.
https://yadi.sk/d/nxx9TP2i3HcXB5?force_show=1
Oscar in England

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

ok got it working in lucid with a bit of wheezy twiddling. neat. Wanted glib update, wheezy libx264 and librar for skins.

posting from android running on a lenovo laptop.

mike

zagreb999

#8 Post by zagreb999 »

regards mike

please, can you give instructions
how install and run android on lenovo
laptop?
thanks

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, all.

Yes, in fact you're right. I hadn't used it for a while myself; I really should have checked it over before packaging it. It doesn't support h.264, or VP80/90, or lots of modern stuff like that.....necessary for modern formats like webm (of which I have loads), and even many .mp4 files it turns its nose up and complains. It simply doesn't seem to have the codec support; unusual for VLC, I have to admit.

Thanks, Oscar, for clarification.

I tend to use SMPlayer most of the time anyway; VLC is not high on my list of priorities, although I do keep it around.

watchdog

#10 Post by watchdog »

zagreb999 wrote:regards mike

please, can you give instructions
how install and run android on lenovo
laptop?
thanks
I also did it:

http://www.android-x86.org/download

I used cm-x86-14.1-r2.iso (lineageos) and managed to install it in a partition of a laptop near the TV set. The difficult thing was to discover the right menu entry in grub4dos to boot it. I installed the iso in a usb stick and studied the grub of the usb stick. I have android on a laptop but I seldom use it.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Oscar:-
OscarTalks wrote:The 2.1.6-wheezy VLC is one that I spent lots of time on, experimenting with compiling everything from source and adding extra optional libraries myself and then recompiling numerous times. The libraries for the Qt GUI are all included so other Qt packages are not needed.

One thing about that version is that although it may run in later Puppies, some codecs will very probably be missing. This is because Wheezy has libav in place of ffmpeg so the plugins will not be able to find the correct ffmpeg/libav libraries. Precise has a similar set of libav libraries so the Wheezy VLC may work reasonably OK in that.

Tahr is rather similar. As you're probably aware, Canonical reverted back to avconv in place of ffmpeg. However, it's not the newest version available, by a long chalk, so I installed a recent version of ffmpeg that Fred had unearthed, deleted avconv, and set it up again as a sym-link to ffmpeg. Result being that anything requiring the use of avconv 'sees' it, thinks it's using it, yet in reality is using ffmpeg instead.

It seems to work for me. I just wonder if in fact the same trick would work for other Pups that have a similar set-up?

----------------------------------------------

Fred's direct download of ffmpeg-3.1.2 available from here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 005#998005

...in the WeX thread. Or, if you like, I built a .pet for it, which places it in the correct location:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YDqa2P ... sp=sharing