Lighthouse 64 5.14.2 Beta 4

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Kel

Shutdown hang

#31 Post by Kel »

Hi all,

Just installed Lighthouse 64 5.14.2 Beta 4 yesterday. It's absolutely brilliant!

I noticed that the shutdown would hang right during/after acpid:Exiting. i let it sit for about 15min-20min before deciding it wasnt going to proceed further. cntrl-c'd out and did a shutdown -a now. which borked the usb thumbdrive (which i was booted from) as it would no longer boot. after several clean reinstalls to the thumbdrive, i think i have narrowed it down to reboots/shutdowns with a NFS share(s) mounted. this morning i was only able to test once, but unmounting the NFS share(s) allowed a clean shutdown and a valid savefile to be created. I will try it several more times, but i believe this to be the culprit at this time.

I'm not overly familiar with Puppies, enough that i was able to get around, install drivers and pets just fine. Is this an issue with all puppies? I did briefly test last night with fatdog (latest) and had the same problem. Went back to Lighthouse to troubleshoot.

Just something I did, or something that's in Puppy(s)? Can i just put in some unmount lines in /etc/rc.d/shutdown (running on memory there, whatever the shutdown script is) to unmount NFS's?

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. And thanks Tazoc for Lighthouse!!

EDIT: This was a manual mount, so there was no entry in a fstab or anything. Not sure if that makes a difference.

pemasu

#32 Post by pemasu »

umount -a -t nfs might work with Puppy busybox umount.
I believe you can place it to suitable location in /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown.

Eathray

#33 Post by Eathray »

Tazoc,

Thanks for Lighthouse. I added it to my Fatdog machine just because, and am very impressed.

Started with a full install to a partition, but that didn't work out so well, so I switched to a frugal and it seems to run like a champ. Fast and stable.

Having trouble getting VB to install, but that's probably just me (haven't figured it out in Fatdog either :P ).

Hope you get to feeling better.

Eathray

jim3630

#34 Post by jim3630 »

frugal install of the Mariner version to ext4 hdd. auto detected wl driver and made wifi connection on eth1.

able to convert browsers to run as root, update ff to ver.10. all persistent through reboot.

very lovely desktop and artwork. thank you for the hard work.

Puppyt

#35 Post by Puppyt »

Dammit Tazoc - you are a leading light on the forums. My Best Wishes for your full recovery.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

HiDeHo

#36 Post by HiDeHo »

How is 64bit LHP doing atm. Keep up the good work.

snayak

#37 Post by snayak »

Hi All,

How are you getting Virtual Box in this lhpup?

In case somebody is successful, can you please share your vboxdrv driver which is compiled against this lhpup?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

gcmartin

#38 Post by gcmartin »

snayak wrote:Hi All,
In case somebody is successful, can you please share your vboxdrv driver which is compiled against this lhpup? ...
I will probably not be much help for I am not VirtualBox (VB) knowlegible. But, I do remember that LH64 'Mariner" ISO will install VB for you at Boot time. iI assume you have started and are running it using Mariner.
  1. Are you using Mariner and did you get VB from Mariner at boot time?
  2. Or did you get VB from the Update Icon on the LH64 desktop?
I only ask these questions as I seem to remember TaZoC working very hard to try and may it easy to run from his Mariner ISO.

Hope this sets the stage for persons more knowledgible to steer this to a document or instructions showing how to engage a VM in VB use.

Q5sys

#39 Post by Q5sys »

snayak wrote:Hi All,

In case somebody is successful, can you please share your vboxdrv driver which is compiled against this lhpup?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

From LHP Offiical Release Notes
VirtualBox Installer in System Menu downloads and installs the latest version (based on a script by Kirk)

Run software written for another operating system without having to reboot LIghthouse

Requires Devx-L64_512.sfs
That was for Beta 2. I'm assuming its the same in Beta 4.
That should auto load the vboxdrv. If you've installed virtualbox already and you get an error message about the kernel driver not being installer or whatever... try this at the command line BEFORE you try to start virtualbox

Code: Select all

modprobe vboxdrv

snayak

#40 Post by snayak »

Hi All,

After a day's fight, I finally got the easy way out for vbox installation.

1. Just added devx*.sfs.
2. Downloaded VirtualBox-4.1.8-75467-Linux_amd64.run file from virtualbox.org
3. Clicked on VirtualBox-4.1.8-75467-Linux_amd64.run file.
4. Vbox installed and can be found from start->system.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

snayak

#41 Post by snayak »

Hi,

I found some of the StartMenu->Desktop->DesktopConfiguration entries are not working when we click on it.

Any body has any solution?
Has anybody too found the same?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

Q5sys

#42 Post by Q5sys »

snayak wrote:Hi,

I found some of the StartMenu->Desktop->DesktopConfiguration entries are not working when we click on it.

Any body has any solution?
Has anybody too found the same?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
It would help if you would tell us which entries are not working for you. Its kinda hard for us to trouble shoot a problem when we dont know what it is.

snayak

#43 Post by snayak »

Hi,

The very first entry "Accessibility" is not working.
Some others are too.

Is it because I have not added some of the sfs files at boot?

Actually I am not using some of the sfs files that came with mariner iso.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

snayak

#44 Post by snayak »

Hi All,

Is there a camera viewer app for this lighthouse pup?
I have to see my face in my builtin camera :x

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

HiDeHo

#45 Post by HiDeHo »

I want to congratulate you on this superb puppy linux vesion. I am looking for a good generic base for my puppy linux idea. My idea was to create a puppy linux version and i had allot of help to create this first release called FOMpup.click here sadly as the person helping me do this is no longer able to help me. and i dont know how he achieved the tweaks he made. i am looking for a ne base i can build from myself. What i need is a small light base to work with, would like it to be able to run on many computers the idea of a nop puppy would be what i would like to start with. Linking to online stuff same as the current version of FOMpup and have the same or similar apps available. as you hav allot of good sfs files i believe LHP base would be great for this idea.

I like the way you have put together LHP and really like the 64 bit version.
what i would like to know is if the LHP64bit version using the 32 bit libs, what they do, do they
  • allow LHP64 to run on a 32 bit computer
  • or just to run 32bit applications
if LHP64 bit cant run on 32bit commuters then i would probably prefer to use the 32 bit base and build from there.

i would start with the non mariner base and add my tweaks, desktop images, help pages, etc and try to stick with the base apps as much as i can. then i would link to the sfs files you have for mariner.sfs / pet, other browsers, office suite, vlc etc liek comes on teh 64bit iso. and provide the update stuff.

i also like the fact lhp can load 40sfs files at bootup. which is why i would consider starting with a version. Does LHP64 have ability to load 40 sfs as well or is this unique to the 32bit version.

well what i am going to do atm is going to make a start with the 32 bit base and see how i go.
Last edited by HiDeHo on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 21:53, edited 2 times in total.

ICPUG

#46 Post by ICPUG »

HiDeHo,

I haven't seen Tazoc on this forum for a little while and he said here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 595#600595
that he is not well.

You may have to wait for a response to your queries.

gcmartin

#47 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @HiDeHo
You may have already found this out:
  • You can run 32bit OSes on 64bit platforms.
  • You can run 64bit OSes on 64bit platforms.
  • You CANNOT run 64bit OSes on 32bit platforms
Most PCs since 2007 are 64bit, but, you should alway check the PC's literature to be sure. Further, you will get an error message at boot time should you attempt to start a Lighthouse64 CD/ISO on a 32bit PC or VM client.

Hope this helps

Anniekin

#48 Post by Anniekin »

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!
Last edited by Anniekin on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 01:39, edited 2 times in total.

HiDeHo

#49 Post by HiDeHo »

gcmartin wrote:Hi @HiDeHo
You may have already found this out:
  • You can run 32bit OSes on 64bit platforms.
  • You can run 64bit OSes on 64bit platforms.
  • You CANNOT run 64bit OSes on 32bit platforms
Most PCs since 2007 are 64bit, but, you should alway check the PC's literature to be sure. Further, you will get an error message at boot time should you attempt to start a Lighthouse64 CD/ISO on a 32bit PC or VM client.

Hope this helps
thanks i did realise what you aid. was wondering what teh 23 bit libs did. and as teh 32 bit version os lhpup is no longer maintained accoerding to the forum post click here what can peopel do on a 32 bit computer.

gcmartin

32bit is a good stable release. I am not sure if there will

#50 Post by gcmartin »

HiDeHo wrote: ... to the forum post click here what can peopel do on a 32 bit computer.
That's a very good complete 32bit verion built by TaZoC. After clompleting this,he wanted to try a build of a 64bit distro. This was named LighHouse64.

The 32bit versin and the 32bit software it contains continue to provide useful services. But, I would guess that some of the version of packages in the ISO have had updates.

But, there are still inquiries being answered on the forum in that version of LightHouse. And should you have any problems using that verion and you post on that thread, I would guess it will be answered by someone.

It behaves, operates, and updates similar to all PUPs. You should expect carefree use.

Hope this helps.