Lighthouse 64 5.14.2 Beta 4

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ICPUG

#46 Post by ICPUG »

HiDeHo,

I haven't seen Tazoc on this forum for a little while and he said here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 595#600595
that he is not well.

You may have to wait for a response to your queries.

gcmartin

#47 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @HiDeHo
You may have already found this out:
  • You can run 32bit OSes on 64bit platforms.
  • You can run 64bit OSes on 64bit platforms.
  • You CANNOT run 64bit OSes on 32bit platforms
Most PCs since 2007 are 64bit, but, you should alway check the PC's literature to be sure. Further, you will get an error message at boot time should you attempt to start a Lighthouse64 CD/ISO on a 32bit PC or VM client.

Hope this helps

Anniekin

#48 Post by Anniekin »

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!
Last edited by Anniekin on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 01:39, edited 2 times in total.

HiDeHo

#49 Post by HiDeHo »

gcmartin wrote:Hi @HiDeHo
You may have already found this out:
  • You can run 32bit OSes on 64bit platforms.
  • You can run 64bit OSes on 64bit platforms.
  • You CANNOT run 64bit OSes on 32bit platforms
Most PCs since 2007 are 64bit, but, you should alway check the PC's literature to be sure. Further, you will get an error message at boot time should you attempt to start a Lighthouse64 CD/ISO on a 32bit PC or VM client.

Hope this helps
thanks i did realise what you aid. was wondering what teh 23 bit libs did. and as teh 32 bit version os lhpup is no longer maintained accoerding to the forum post click here what can peopel do on a 32 bit computer.

gcmartin

32bit is a good stable release. I am not sure if there will

#50 Post by gcmartin »

HiDeHo wrote: ... to the forum post click here what can peopel do on a 32 bit computer.
That's a very good complete 32bit verion built by TaZoC. After clompleting this,he wanted to try a build of a 64bit distro. This was named LighHouse64.

The 32bit versin and the 32bit software it contains continue to provide useful services. But, I would guess that some of the version of packages in the ISO have had updates.

But, there are still inquiries being answered on the forum in that version of LightHouse. And should you have any problems using that verion and you post on that thread, I would guess it will be answered by someone.

It behaves, operates, and updates similar to all PUPs. You should expect carefree use.

Hope this helps.

spb37

dropbox in l64

#51 Post by spb37 »

I have tried the various debian packages on the dropbox page as well as the instructions for installing it from the terminal. Anyone have it working in a way that my beginners brain can follow. Thanks so much.

shinobar

grub4dosConfig-1.7.9

#52 Post by shinobar »

tazoc , how are you feeling these days? I hope your fast recovery.

NEWS:
Test release: grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.7.9, works with/on Lighthouse 64:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 118#624118
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Eathray

#53 Post by Eathray »

If anyone has an update on how Tazoc's doing, it would be nice to know.

Finally got virtual box working on Lighthouse64... Not sure what I finally set right or I'd post it.

Eathray

gcmartin

#54 Post by gcmartin »

Eathray wrote:If anyone has an update on how Tazoc's doing, it would be nice to know.

Finally got virtual box working on Lighthouse64... Not sure what I finally set right or I'd post it.

Eathray
Great EarthRAY.

Should you figure out what was done, feel free to post here.

I have been running my LH64 Mariner of which I have ONLY booted once in Januarry after a save-session. This, too, is a LIve Media environment via a DVD. It is rock solid and it rocks!

Here to help

snayak

#55 Post by snayak »

When you have internet, it is simple to install and run vbox.
Otherwise, it is bit harder.

Sincerely,
Srinivas
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

Eathray

#56 Post by Eathray »

gcmartin wrote:
I guess I was trying to select the version from the install list, which ought to have been the x86linux version, but the self-install tool wanted the amd64linux version. That makes no sense to me because my processor is Intel 64bit dual core... not amd... but maybe the chipsets also come into play. It could be my rig can use intel or amd, and something in the chipset makes the amd64linux version more compatible/preferable to VirtualBox.

That's just a guess, but whatever, it's working...

I started playing with it a little by sticking a copy of SnowPuppy on a virtual disk.

Eathray

gcmartin

#57 Post by gcmartin »

Eathray wrote:
gcmartin wrote:
I guess I was trying to select the version from the install list, which ought to have been the x86linux version, but the self-install tool wanted the amd64linux version. That makes no sense to me because my processor is Intel 64bit dual core... not amd... but maybe the chipsets also come into play. It could be my rig can use intel or amd, and something in the chipset makes the amd64linux version more compatible/preferable to VirtualBox.

That's just a guess, but whatever, it's working...

I started playing with it a little by sticking a copy of SnowPuppy on a virtual disk.

Eathray
I think I understand what confused you.

In the computer industry, some of the jargon IS confusing.

But, should you ever see "amd64..." or "intel64" or "x86-64" or similar references in a filename or article, it simply is implying 64bit computers. Those names for programs are a developers attempt to let you know that it is designed specifically for 64bit Operating Systems(OS) running on 64bit PCs. Thus, it is NOT specific to AMD or to Intel.

Hope this helps

Eathray

#58 Post by Eathray »

I might post some questions about VirtualBox on Lighthouse, but I'm not sure if I should start a new thread dealing with VB specifically, or post here where people may have the exact same setup going as I do... On Lighthouse64. The latter seems to make sense to me.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Eathray

gcmartin

#59 Post by gcmartin »

Eathray wrote:I might post some questions about VirtualBox on Lighthouse, but I'm not sure if I should start a new thread dealing with VB specifically, or post here where people may have the exact same setup going as I do... On Lighthouse64. The latter seems to make sense to me.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Eathray
I understand. Either way, your contribution will spur interest and guidance.

Thanks in advance.

atv

Tazoc

#60 Post by atv »

Does anyone know how Tazoc is doing? It sure would be nice to know.

fixerdave

thank you!

#61 Post by fixerdave »

I just wanted to say thank you for the Lighthouse puplet. I've been struggling with the 5.28 Lucid pup, running into all kinds of odd issues (stuff like not being able to display the Japanese fonts I have in music tags - very weird) and nfs connection problems. Everything seemed like a struggle. Lighthouse just worked out of the box, and worked well.

I'm still working through a few issues, like not being able to load the ATI driver and the VLC mp4v error, but they're 'extras' for my goal at hand. The vesa driver works, as does Xine. All I really need to find is a wife-friendly music player. She's used to rhythmbox... sigh.

David...

gcmartin

Re: thank you!

#62 Post by gcmartin »

fixerdave wrote:I just wanted to say thank you .... All I really need to find is a wife-friendly music player. She's used to rhythmbox... sigh ...
@FixerDave, "Congratulation!"
I have a LH64 which has NOT been down for any reason since its initial save-session to its DVD (live media use). Its fast, friendly, stable, and fully featured for all of my LAN's devices, desktop needs, and streaming which is done from LH64.

I believe that you may be able to use both PETs from FATDOG distros as well as PETs that are provided thru LH64's PPM (although, I have to admit I haven't tried this for RhythmBox)

Here to help

edexter

great puppy

#63 Post by edexter »

This puppy works great with clearwire (now clear). The pad (mouse replacement for laptop) works a little slow and the volume is even worse than it is with windows. If I can find a 32 bit version I will be going back to my old tashiba. This machine is a brand new hp2000 64 bit (bottom of the market I think but my first machine was 16k so I am impressed easily).

It's great for what I am using it for (from rewritable cd)

shinobar

getnvidia-0.4-64

#64 Post by shinobar »

getnvidia-0.4-64.pet, NVIDIA driver / build SFS/PET, supports Lighthous 64.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/pup64/

You need Devx-L64_514.sfs package to build the kernel module. Required internet connection.
Recommended to build with new pupsave of 512MB or larger, or in RAM mode. I am not quite sure but If your RAM is less than 640MB, needs 500MB swap.
  1. Load devx package
  2. Install getnvidia.
  3. Exit X and down to the command prompt
  4. Type 'getnvidia'.
NVIDIA Graphics tip is not essential to build (thanks to pemasu). You can build on another PC if the target PC has not enough power and/or internet connection.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Arun01

#65 Post by Arun01 »

Hi,

I need to run both 32 bit and 64 bit apps.

so i chose lighthouse 64 5.14 B4 .when i installed to hard disk it successfully

installed after installation complete i tried to restart .it show "Error 15".in

grub. i tried both installation full and frugal .both reporting same error.

any thoughts ?

thanks
Arun