Fed up of trying Linux Distros - Puppy Linux is the BEST!

Promote Puppy !
Samlinux

Fed up of trying Linux Distros - Puppy Linux is the BEST!

#1 Post by Samlinux »

This an copy of something I wrote on the Fedora support page. It could easily apply to all major distros except Puppy (and its derivatives).

"This one is to all you Geeks out there;

Fedora comes in many flavors. Its all about choosing a preferred window manager and there you have it. After a while all of them get boring regardless of how much software you throw on it. Lets face it. We need a performance driven, highly tweaked Fedora spin that will satisfy people like myself. Since you're all so bright why don't you come up with an amazing Fedora spin tailored for speed and performance? The Linux kernel is open source so make use of it and tweak it to its maximum. Sure Fedora and all other major companies will come up with updated releases from time to time but nothing really fundamental changes. Windows is far more radical whenever a new release comes out. Linux plays with windows managers and folks like to compare desktops as if that was the main thing whenever a company updates its distro. Oh and by the way the Suse Studio feature is crap although Fedora could create something similar but much better. Build me a fast booting, high performance spin with all the essential software and codecs (last time I installed Fedora took me ages to install the necessary codecs). A spin not over 500mb that I can operate from a USB pendrive. And please forget about Firefox; Opera is far better.

A good year to you all!

PS: Maybe you can learn something from Puppy Linux"

You're on the right way. You have my support.

Puppy Linux will grow and get its right place in the Linux community!

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

I don't believe this is a FAIR assessment of any distro.

You may have some special app(s) you want, but ALL OSes intend to deliver functionality to its community. Speed is really secondary as there is only so much that can be done with any OS addressing this.

As having spent the better part of my career with Capacity Planning as an sub-item, I think you might want to offer an apology for your remarks.

What you offer is a rather unfair attack and would better be served to use the means that most Linux distro (including Puppy) provide you, to allow you to tailor your OS to meet your specific needs (within the constraints that exist within your selected OS).

No offense to you, as this is a simple attempt to have you consider what you attack. A lot of excellent work has gone in by a lot of very intelligent people in making most of the top 30 or so distro. They provide functionality, stability, fore-thought, and performance to us, in the community. And, because the emphasis from each is different, it makes for a good broad-based selection for any entity who has need for a Linux, Unix, Apple, or Microsoft OS. We are all free to select the one(s) which meet some/all of our needs. In the computer industry, there is no such thing as one size fits all.

Please don't take my comments, here, as any type of rude criticism. Rather I hope the view is just an opportunity to assess your need and match it accordingly. This is not intended to be any type of bashing. just some info.

Happy New Year, and I Hope this helps.

Samlinux

You're right

#3 Post by Samlinux »

After reading your reply I understand all you said. I have already posted an apology at the Fedora support forum. I was having a bad day and didn't access things straight.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my topic and hope you didn't take it as an attack.

We all make mistakes and we all can learn from them.

Regards;

Sam

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D