X won't start when upgrading to 1.0.8r1

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
clackey

X won't start when upgrading to 1.0.8r1

#1 Post by clackey »

Hi, It's my first time posting here; unfortunately, is has to be about a problem.

For a couple of weeks, I've been using Puppy Multisession 1.0.7. I decided today to upgrade it to 1.0.8r1. I followed the steps on puppylinux.com:

1. I burned puppy-multisession-1.0.8r1-mozilla.iso to a CD-R (made sure not to finalize the disc!)

2. Booted with it, and, when the message about upgrading came up, inserted my previous disc (1.0.7)

Then I waited as it copied my previous settings to /root; all fine. Then, as it's booting up, just as it's about to start X and bring me to my desktop, it goes right back to the prompt; with no error message, only some standard bunch of text referring to restarting X with "xwin [fvwm95|jwm]" (I can't quite remember exactly what it sais, but I know it's not relevant to the problem).

When I type xwin, startx, etc. the same thing happens. screen goes black as if ready to display the desktop, then I'm brought right back to the prompt, with the text repeating itself.

If I run the multisession disc as if it's new, it works just fine. It's only when I try to upgrade it from 1.0.7 and restore my settings and files that the problem arises.

Is there anyone with a similar problem, or that can possibly help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Clackey

MU

#2 Post by MU »

try to run
xorgwizard
instead of xwin.
This should set up your grafiicscard.
Mark

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

You may have found a bug in an early version. There is nothing else like Multisession Puppy. It is still very new and there is just not much experience with it yet. I believe Barry has improved the upgrade mechanism for multisession Puppy2. I recommend you give Puppy2 alpha a try. I don't think it will automatically pick up the configuration from 1.0.7 but at least it stands a better chance of upgrading to versions of multisession Puppy that will come after it.

clackey

#4 Post by clackey »

Hmm. Well I think I will give Puppy2 a try. For daily use, however I might just stick to my 1.0.7 multisession to keep my settings, until Puppy2 can pick them up or until the bug is fixed...

P.S. Unfortunately MU, typing xorgwizard doesn't work. at the end of the wizard for either Xvesa or Xorg I'm brought right back to the prompt. thanks anyway, though.