Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Nov 2019, 00:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
NTFS support
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
bene04

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 2012, 15:07    Post subject:  NTFS support
Subject description: are there multiple versions of NTFS?

I understand that as M$Windows has evolved there have been newer versions of the NTFS file system.

Do puppies support the newest version(s) of NTFS? I do not know much about version differences, but will be doing an install on a new Win7 system, and eventually playing with partitions.

I saw an article about M$Win8 suggesting that boot modification would stop Windows from booting (for security reasons).

Thanks,
bene (still a puppy nubie)
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 2012, 16:24    Post subject:  

Here you can find some information about NTFS versions:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/ntfs/ver-c.html

I don't know if puppy supports all of them, but I had a problem once with opening NTFS partition made with Partition Magic from the last version of Hiren's Boot CD. With some puppy linux I couldn't open it. With NTFS partition made with Gparted I've never had a problem.

Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan 2012, 12:09    Post subject: Re: NTFS support
Subject description: are there multiple versions of NTFS?

bene04 wrote:
I understand that as M$Windows has evolved there have been newer versions of the NTFS file system.

Do puppies support the newest version(s) of NTFS? I do not know much about version differences, but will be doing an install on a new Win7 system, and eventually playing with partitions.

I saw an article about M$Win8 suggesting that boot modification would stop Windows from booting (for security reasons).

Thanks,
bene (still a puppy nubie)

There appear to be many versions of NTFS. I think that Microsoft has made a lot of bug fixes over the years and these required things to be different from version to version. They seem to be backwards compatible but not always forwards compatible. That is the old stuff is still supported.

Microsoft wants to prevent things like "boot sector infecters" from going unnoticed. Since they can't prevent viruses from getting into the system or worms from going from PC to PC, they at least want to bring it to a stop at the next time you try to boot. To do this and be completely general about it, they want to make it so that nothing but Microsoft code can be on your hard disk or indeed any hard disk in the world.

Also to improve security, it also appears that Mircosoft will become even stricter about enforcing the rule at only people with admin permissions can install software onto a PC. Since things like macros in your documents or even some codes in videos or even pictures really qualify as being code as far as the Windows OS is concerned, this restriction will be extended to not allowing the general user to add any documents, videos or pictures. They will be encouraged to just sit back and admire the pretty flashing lights.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: