Puppy Super Kernel

News, happenings
James C

#16 Post by James C »

Still been running this quite a bit...... booting with the cd and save file on a usb stick.
Every 32 bit application I've installed has worked fine so far.
Attachments
Conky.png
(23.93 KiB) Downloaded 870 times

Jim1911

#17 Post by Jim1911 »

Sorry that I've overlooked this but today I did try a frugal installation of your slacko iso using the super kernel. The 32-64 bit capability is great, however, all I've gotten to work are 32 bit applications. In fact the Bootmanager will not even recognize 64 bit sfs files. Note there are two located in /mnt/home, but bootmanager cannot find them, see image-3. This is true even of a 64 bit libre office prepared by get-libreoffice-0.13. However, it's good that get-libreoffice did work and recognized that a 64 bit version is required.

The problem is probably due to 64 bit applications being recognized as requiring squashfs version 3, although not the case with 32 bit applications, see image-2.

I did not try converting them to see what happened since I hope that this kernel hasn't taken a step backwards to squashfs version 3.

The only 64 bit pet file that I've tried (pupsnap) did not work.

Best wishes for this potential Super Kernel.
Attachments
image-3.jpg
(48.4 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
image-2.jpg
(17.02 KiB) Downloaded 792 times

kooliepup

#18 Post by kooliepup »

Yes, what he said.
Also freq scaling inoperative. :(

I have only just come to trying this kernel, and I am impressed.
After checking it all out live, I tried it using several different Slacko 531 savefiles, and it works flawlessly, even loading high-end apps like Kdenlive almost instantly. :shock:

Slacko on steroids. Nice.

Now for the one single issue I had..
Google's Picassa started and ran fine the first time, but the second time I started it, it sent the computer into thermal runaway, and when it got too hot to touch I couldn't shut the machine down by conventional methods, and had to switch it off.

I let the machine cool down, and when I started Slacko64 again, it ran at 8086 speed.

Deleted and replaced the savefile with another copy of the same, and all was OK.
I didn't run Picasa again, and never will.

Beware Picassa.

MinHundHettePerro

#19 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Withdrawn, or server hiccup?

http://getstudio4.com/3.1.0-bfs-source.tar.gz

Just wanted to check a setting in your .config; I downloaded it just the other day, unfortunately to /tmp :shock:.

Cheers/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Announcer

#20 Post by Announcer »

Sorry I haven't checked this thead in a long time. Thanks for the compliments.

As for the things that didn't work, I released this back when not all of the bugs from the 3.x kernel name change had been ironed out. That messed up some things with aufs in Puppy's scripts (like filemnt), but wasn't a problem with the kernel itself.

I moved my site to a different web hosting provider, and no longer have the files.

So unless somebody else can upload a copy...

starlyte

Super expensive kernel, no go

#21 Post by starlyte »

Went to take a look at annuncers Super Kernel, for ONLY 49 dollars :evil:

This is really taking Puppians for stray dogs. Is he really expecting people to start paying HIM, who had eff all to do with making Puppy a super distro, for a damned kernel. I think it's one "Puppy" that needs to be put to sleep, kindest solution all round. Studio thingy I mean.

Fat Dog runs on 64 and 32 bit apps once you install the 32bits lib, so he can take his nunce, and put it,; along with the fifty odd dollars he's asking us to pay him for a PUPPY KERNEL, and put them where I'm thinking he should. And it's not on this forum.

It's a disgrace, and the first time I've heard of Puppy lovers asking for money for something that they've developed from someone elses work, and lots of work, done for FREE, mister nuncer.

DON'T GO FOR THIS GUYS RIP OFF PUPPY KERNEL.