Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Sep 2014, 07:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
User Experiencing using Lighthouse Puppy on 64bit PCs
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2012, 19:19    Post subject:  User Experiencing using Lighthouse Puppy on 64bit PCs  

Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary (1974)
defines Lighthouse as follows:
Quote:
"n: a tower with a powerful light, that gives a continuous or intermittent signal to navigators."

Puppyland, for several years, has had a distro called Lighthouse. Most recently, Lighthouse has been made to run on 64bit PCs. This Puppy distro has been re-flagged as LightHouse64.

Lighthouse in Puppyland can be thought of as a beacon identifying a place for mooring of your PCs.
The beacon's location provide opportunity for modern 64bit PCs, both big and small, safe harbor for the many types of users that come.

Not only does it address most motherboard peripherals and bus connection devices a "welcoming" into the Linux operating system, but, it provides a host of necessary services muchly needed by the PC's community of user(s).

The most interesting for those who embark on Lighthouse is that once you have its CD/DVD/ISO, your PC can become operational mimicking all of the same services you get from a authenticated MAC/Windows PC....everything. Most of all, this is the very first Puppy entry that does NOT require any additional packages to be downloaded from the internet in order to do this. This distro most of all is completely LAN ready and provides identification and LAN operations so that the user is immediately operational in all LAN needs for accessing and sharing with the other LAN devices, peers and servers that could exist on the local network. This is a major Lighthouse marker that makes this distro's packaging one of the most innovative offering ever received from Puppy Linux. Without abandoning older 64bit PCs, this distro addresses ALL 64bit PC up to and including the "Battleship" versions that are currently sold to the PC community.

In testing this Puppy distro on 64bit PCs, I have found it to be not only as speedy, but just as reliable and more feature rich. It appears that its creator envisions system controls and operations as he designs it to accompany the latest features for this RAM based OS. Even on thie smallest 64bit (1GB) I tested, everything loads and runs completely in RAM at phenomenal CPU speeds within even a whisper of troubles. So far, I have tested this on Acers, PowerSpecs, IBM and HP desktops, while also testing Dell, Gateway, Acer and IBM laptops. And most recently an HP 23" Touchsmart (all-in-one) which is so sexy, that everyone who sees it stops in awe of it.
Couple weeks ago, I tested one type of "mooring" PC, which I would consider to be in the Aircraft carrier category; namely the HP Touchsmart. The distro loaded and I was operational on the LAN using this Aircraft in exactly the same way the Microsoft Windows7 Media Center was using it. This was accomplished all in a matter of 11 minutes total: "Start to Finish" including save-session and reboot via the Lighthouse DVD media(Live media).
The surprise to me was that LightHouse64 understood even the touchscreen, such that I ran this system's desktop without the need of a keyboard or mouse...everything I did was on the touchscreen....everything! The ONLY things I did not test was
the TV connection built-in for broadcast reception
the HDMI connection to an external 40/50/60/80" monitor
the ability to write a document on screen by using my finger as a pencil-like writing tool (HP Windows7 has an on-screen app for "touchscreening" this.).
Not only was I surprised by my limited use, but the speed was phenomenal. The single bad news was the system's built-in wireless would not setup properly in the Lighthouse system. I'm suspecting a bug in this version of its wireless driver.

Any Puppy user who has a 64bit PC (desktop/laptop/nettop/all-in-one) should take a moment to see this jewel on their PC. You, too, may find a surprising experience in its operation(s).

If you have a chance, take a look for yourself. Your 64bit experience may turn up similar surprises in its operations for you.
Or, if you want a distro which gives you a desktop which allows you to share with all LAN devices that talk to Apple or Microsoft PCs, you will want to consider this. You won't have to install anything to be completely equivalent and operational.

Other experiences can be found here and a webpage is devoted to it here.

Hope this helps

Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: