No sound ES1371 Ensoniq Audio PCI

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
dougblackburn

No sound ES1371 Ensoniq Audio PCI

#1 Post by dougblackburn »

I believe I have been through all the settings in the ALSA Sound Wizard and the sound mixer. I have made sure that volume is turned up and not muted. There is a sound icon at the bottom of the screen that seems to be functioning. I have tried sound from the internet and playing an audio cd. All indications are that the tracks or sound clips are being played, but there is no sound.

I have noticed with this sound card there are 2 devices differentiated as follows.
ES1371 DAC2/ADC
ES1371 DAC1

I have a windows partition set up and I am getting sound there so I believe the card is ok.

My system configuration is as follows:

Micron Millenia Desktop
Pentium III (Coppermine) 733mghz
774MB Memory
ES1371 Ensoniq Audio PCI

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Doug

bullterrier

#2 Post by bullterrier »

I am just a newb, but I have just had a similar problem with an older laptop. My sound card is an es1869 and the driver is snd-es18xx

Try to follow what I did at the following url:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74740

except you would probably use the driver snd-ens1371 instead of snd-es18xx

You will also need your sound cards IRQ and DMA settings. You might get these from your windows or bios.

Regards

dougblackburn

#3 Post by dougblackburn »

Thanks for the help.

I am looking into the differences between my PCI card and your Pnp ISA card so I make sure I get all the steps right.

As it turns out, I am finding a lot of postings in numerous forums regarding problems with the Ensoniq 1371 Audio PCI card across many Linux distros.

Thanks again
Doug

dennis g

no sound icon , no sound

#4 Post by dennis g »

my Puppy 5.3.1 no longer shows a sound icon, and naturally there is no sound.
alsa was unable to elicit a "woof" and I could not do anything else with it.
the mixer shows its volume at midpoints.

Its sound worked well after its install but at one point the sound level icon was atop some of the internet pages and when they went away the icon may have gone with them.

There is connectivity as I hear a click on shutoff.

I found a volume subroutine but do not know how much of it toenter.
it begins " gcc -o setvol.c "

Farm

#5 Post by Farm »

Do not know for sure this will work for you but. . .

How I patched my Lucid 5.2.8 operating system so that my sound would work after rebooting time after time. This works on a Compaq Pavilion XH485 laptop with minor changes should work on other systems **Note in order for this patch to work ALSA sound wizard must find your sound card at least once.** In my case I had to run wizard every time I rebooted if I wanted sound, until I hard patched it, as explained below.

I looked at the “/etc/init.d/10alsa

Farm

#6 Post by Farm »

Hey what am I saying this computer is an HP Pavilion not a Compaq. . . . I never can keep it straight because I am always messing with a different computer on any given day. F.G.

dennis g

#7 Post by dennis g »

Thanks for your solution, I solved it by reinstalling the system. {Required no thinking on my part.}