Slacko 5.3.3-RC2 (5.3.2.4[0])

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#451 Post by bigpup »

Barry has posted a bug fix pet for the Rox-Filer focus problem.
Explained at his blog.
The updated pet is in a comment to the main blog post.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02698

ROX-Filer PET
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... ed-w5c.pet
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#452 Post by Lobster »

Took me a while to work this out . . .

Do I need the PAE version?

normal slacko-5.3.2.4 - most users
PAE slacko-5.3.2.40 - those with 2006+ PCs or 4G or more of RAM

19 Feb 2012 RC2 includes the Seamonkey PNG security fix
have added temp link info for our intrepid Release Candidate testers
in Slacko tips
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SlackoTips
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mavrothal

#453 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: mavrothal: It is pure html5, I didn't do anything.
:shock:

Boy, Seamonkey must have a very poor html5 implementation. :(
With, Google-Chrome the XO-1 is quite comfortable and the XO-1.5 almost perfect...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Tasgarth

#454 Post by Tasgarth »

Hi Mick,
slacko (5.3.2.3-SCSI
CD-Live => pupsave (ext3)
Used nouveau=> unload it and successfully installed the latest NVIDIA driver : glxgears is good.

For the first time retrovol (its volume-slider) , Gplayer, Pmusic are good (about pmusic : its volume-slider is now good, not its balance-slider.).
ImpScreen is right.
The link of Pupsnpap 1.6.2 is broken. (PPM)

My computer running smoothly.
Everything tested is working well but it's only a quick test.
Today the snow is too good to let vierge. Un short tour of snowshoes is a must :D
The Slacko-tests for tonight.

Thanks for your job
Last edited by Tasgarth on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#455 Post by DaveS »

All good... :)

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

majorfoo

#456 Post by majorfoo »

Error message when unmounting drive partition

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# umount /dev/sda4

(process:2865): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

(process:2865): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
sh-4.1# 
First time i have seen this. I am in Central US.

Above was using slacko 5.3.2.3

Edit: D/l 5.3.2.4 and did full install - Problem no longer exists.

PenguinPupLin

#457 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Upgraded the manual frugal install of Slacko 5.3.1-Main including the pupsave to 5.3.2.4. Found 2 issues:-
1) Unable to reboot,restartX or exit to prompt - had to Crtl+Alt+backspace;
2) No network interface detected and had to add module rt73usb for my TP-Link-WN321G wireless usb adapter and setup wireless connectivity - now working.

Greatly appreciate your work,keeping Slacko up-to-date,constantly improving and fixing issues.

How about adding an "update" icon on the desktop where important and latest updates,notifications and fixes are made known and available just one click away, just like in Lighthouse Pup?

Really look forward to your final release.

Added: Wow,just discovered the amd-catalyst-driver-12-1 for slacko in the PPM repo, just what I wanted for my Radeon HD5450 graphics without having to install it myself using the usual method with devx and kernel source files. This is the 1st time the latest graphics card driver is made available so soon for puppies AFAIK,if I'm not wrong;thanks so much.

However,my problem of not being able to reboot,restart X or exit to prompt is still there. Would greatly appreciate any help.

mikeslr

mtPaint & Gimp working fine in 5.3.3-RC2 (5.3.2.4)

#458 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 01micko & all:

Manual frugal install of 5.3.3-RC2 to 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor using ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics. Haven't stumbled across any problems except as noted below. Starting pfix=ram: no problems. In fact, both mtpaint and Gimp were able to open the downloaded jpegs which previous version could not.
But as I like wbar and it takes some time to customize, initially I tried using the SaveFile I had created with 5.3.2.1, It loaded, but mtPaint would not start.
If you think it would be any help, I can reboot with 5.3.2.1 SaveFile, but you'll have to walk me thru any test routines. Or I can upload the jpegs which failed to load in 5.3.2.1.

mikesLr

shinobar

UTF-8 bug

#459 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote:ok you guys, go to the first run, aka "Personalize Settings" in the Setup>System menu and turn off UTF-8, I bet it's borking the US locale which is installed by default to get around a different bug. The "C" locale errors will disappear and probably mtpaintsnapshot.sh will work.
I cannot follow your discussion. I am testing 5.3.2.4 with nvidia PET.
I chose en_US.UTF-8 and have no problem.

Wasn't it the issue of the /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8 or something?

EDIT: i guess the issue is lacking the /usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8 in the main sfs.
I can reproduce the error by deleting the directory /usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8.

The woof creats /usr/lib/locale/en_US in the rc.country, but the /usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8 not.
/etc/rc.d/rc.country at line 160-161:

#move us locale to default #01micko 20110522 #boot to desktop
[ ! -d /usr/lib/locale/en_US ] && localedef -f ISO-8859-1 -i en_US --no-archive en_US >/dev/null
We can do this if we make en_US.UTF-8 as the default:

[ ! -d /usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8 ] && localedef -f UTF-8 -i en_US --no-archive en_US.utf8 > /dev/null
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 02:32, edited 6 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

Firstrun

#460 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote:upgraded to firstrun-1.8.4-4 with fixes from 1.9.6 (UTF-8 in main screen)
It is nice the direct to the desktop at the first boot.
But I have two questions:
First, why we need to mouse over the splash or to wait for a long time?
Second, I found your fixes against the firstrun-1.8.4, but why not the firstrun-1.9.6 as the base? 1.9.x are much faster than 1.8.x.

01micko

#461 Post by 01micko »

Hi shino

2 reasons I haven't fully updated to 1.9.6

1) 1.9.6 is borked in woof, it doesn't run at all, it's marker file seems to get created. I guess I could fix it but I have higher priorities. Time is a bit restricted.

2) I have custom stuff in there for slacko which seems to be needed for slacko. (We have a saying "if it aint broke don't fix it!")

If you just post the "faster" code differences I could include that.

I think I'll leave UTF-8 off by default, those locales that need it first-run takes care of the situation. It's cases like zigbert where in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED supports both UTF-8 and iso-9660 where there is some confusion. Perhaps it's a bug in i18n where it seems UTF-8 is needed for NO locales. (nb_NO, nn_NO, maybe some others too).

Anyway, checkbox is there now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PenguinPupLin

I would say the reboot/restart X problem is inherited from the previous install. Could you try a clean install? If it's fixed I'll see if there is a way to upgrade and nullify that bug. I did notice a very small proportion of users have these issues but only with USB installs, yours is the only one I recall with a HDD frugal install. DId it ever reboot properly? I'd say it must have at one point if you were able to make a save file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

mikeslr

If at all you replaced mtpaint then the one in the save file will be the one that takes priority. I haven't uploaded all the updated pets yet but when I do I'll let you know and then try reinstalling mtpaint.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

shinobar

Faster firstrun and who makes delay

#462 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote:If you just post the "faster" code differences I could include that.
who makes the most of the delay is the deleayedrun (55sec) 8)
As for the firstrun, replacing the function 'make_combo' gives a good deal of saving time for slow PC's. (but the splash waits 4sec)
/usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs at line 190-

make_combo() {
  # v1.9.5: always allow dup to speed up
  NODUP=""
  [ "$1" = '-' ] && NODUP="yes" && shift
  echo "$@"| sed -e 's!\([^ ][^ ]*\)!<item>\1</item>!g' |tr '%' ' ' 
}

01micko

#463 Post by 01micko »

shino,

Yeah I can get rid of the 55s altogether. I should have before!

Thanks for that code snippet.

-

I guess you notice I call the flashinstaller in delayedrun, I was thinking not to, but it's no harm, some users like flash (I am not one :lol: ). Maybe it's an issue on slow machines but slacko is not really designed for them. In fact I am bumping the minimum system requirements to 1GB processor. Keef reported it's very slow to decompress for him on a slow box, it is because of the xz compression. No issue on faster machines.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

dmabar

#464 Post by dmabar »

Edit: Nevermind. It works fine. :-)
Last edited by dmabar on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#465 Post by mavrothal »

Tried 5.3.2.4 on my iMac. (duo core 2)
Wireless is still problematic AOB but managed to wrestle it down.Must be something funny with the setup though since it will not stick. I'll test a bit more and see if can come up with anything more concrete.
Also tried Googlearth.sfs and crashed. Initially complained about utf8 and crashed and after activating it, just crashed (nothing in the log other than the lib list). That's with neuvau , mesa and the qt_ALL sfs.
Anyone else seeing this?
01micko wrote:Keef reported it's very slow to decompress for him on a slow box, it is because of the xz compression. No issue on faster machines.
xz is good for publicity :wink: but on resources during decompression is a b*tch specially if you use the -8, -9 (50x RAM) or -0, -1 (3x CPU) compression settings. -3, -4 is a good compromise. 5-6x RAM, 2x CPU but ~25% smaller file than gzip.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Sage

#466 Post by Sage »

5.3.2.4[0]
Mouse pointer keeps freezing, then, mostly, frees-up again???

PenguinPupLin

#467 Post by PenguinPupLin »

01micko wrote:Hi shino

snipped

PenguinPupLin

I would say the reboot/restart X problem is inherited from the previous install. Could you try a clean install? If it's fixed I'll see if there is a way to upgrade and nullify that bug. I did notice a very small proportion of users have these issues but only with USB installs, yours is the only one I recall with a HDD frugal install. DId it ever reboot properly? I'd say it must have at one point if you were able to make a save file.
Yes,it rebooted properly before when after changing my LCD monitor to a widescreen one i.e.16:9 (previously 4:3) and it booted straight into xorgwizard, forcing me to choose fglrx and resolution for Radeon driver,not the ati-catalyst-11-8 that then popped up "initialization error" - so I rerun 'aticonfig --initial', while trying to do so I also encountered a strange keyboard misbehaviour where typing "z" gave me "y" and vice-versa.

Btw,my HDD frugal install is on an ntfs partition in a multiboot environment with Windows Vista and other puppies. Just to point it out in case it matters.

I guess I'd have to do a clean install as you suggested which means my existing and backup savefiles cannot be used (there goes all my softwares,updates,favourite websites and settings) and start from scratch with a new pupsave. Or I might wait until your final release ver 5.3.3 (quite soon?) to do so.

One more thing, all the desktop icons and widgets suddenly disappeared and I have to turn them on manually each time I boot up.

Cheers! Keep up the good work.

Sage

#468 Post by Sage »

supra. - probably an HW issue!

Diminutive repo! Bunch of stuff won't work and dependencies not listed eg 'jack', 'portaudio','v4l-utils', inter alia. Not to mention Claws, EudoraOSE, etc. Afraid my old memory box doesn't run to remembering where every reference to individual files resides on the Forum, esp. as I juggle dozens of distros and rather more machines simultaneously daily. The PPM is the cornerstone for any distro. Sine qua non...

Jasper

#469 Post by Jasper »

Sage reported:

".... I juggle dozens of distros and rather more machines simultaneously...."
---------------------------------
Yet he is doubtless unable to edit his posts singly, let alone two-at-once.

I suggest he should probably edit his last two posts to rectify any mistakes.

Addendum:

I have just seen that "jack", "claws", etcetera, etcetera, etcetera are available from the Slacko Repository via the Slacko PPM. Perhaps 01micko has added them very recently as a result of Sage's compulsive appeal.
Last edited by Jasper on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#470 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install of 5.3.2.4 on the old P3 test box. Everything working correctly on initial boot.
In fact I am bumping the minimum system requirements to 1GB processor. Keef reported it's very slow to decompress for him on a slow box, it is because of the xz compression. No issue on faster machines.
Since this box is 733 mhz and the difference is noticeable I'll confirm this. Still usable but slower.5.31 w/ 2.6.37.6,and the regular compression, is perfectly fine though.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.3.2.4

Chip description:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "" Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 253MB (126MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 21 Feb 2012 02:01:19 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels