Tux Cleaner

Miscellaneous tools
Monsie

Tux Cleaner

#1 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Tux Cleaner is a brand new program at SourceForge... so new, in fact it was only registered on January 4th of this year. This small utility is only 16k and while it is command-line based, it will open a simple gui in the console which you can use to delete thumbnails, temporary files, and old log files. Additional arguments and parameters can be made using the command line only if you want more than the default settings of the gui. This utility can be found at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxclea ... =directory along with a bit more information about it.

I have now added this program to my Wary Puppy desktop and have been testing it (it is still listed as a beta version though no bugs have been reported yet) and.... so far so good. I have attached a screenshot of the console showing the command line and the gui on my system.

Note that this is a very simple and basic program. I am using it on my computer because I could not find a pet for Bleachbit that would work on Wary. Bleachbit is much more advanced and feature-filled, so if you do have Bleachbit running on your version of Puppy, then obviously you do not need this program. Otherwise, I still think this is a useful program, and furthermore, while thinking in Puppy terms, one has to love the small size of this little utility.

Cheers,
Monsie
Attachments
Tux Cleaner screenshot.jpg
(132.76 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
Last edited by Monsie on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

vovchik

Guified tux_cleaner

#2 Post by vovchik »

Dear Monsie,

Here is a guified tux_cleaner. I just changed the calls from dialog (terminal mode) to Xdialog (gtk gui). Please let me know how it works....

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
tux_cleaner_gui.tar.gz
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 510 times

Monsie

Tux Cleaner

#3 Post by Monsie »

Hi Vovchik,

I never thought about xdialog, so thanks very much for that. It's a nice option if you don't want to use the command line.

When I checked out the script, I found that the xdialog windows are a lot smaller than the console screen by default. The infobox windows and the messagebox windows that come up when Tux Cleaner is working are so small that I cannot see the text inside those windows.

So, I re-sized those windows within the script, and the result is much better. Here is my revision of the xdialog version of the script. Please test it and compare it to the old script... maybe there is still room for improvement.

Cheers,
Monsie
Attachments
tux_cleaner_gui_rev.tar.gz
(2.85 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

Tux Cleaner

#4 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Just a quick update to say that I modified the xdialog script again. The previous script does work fine, however I have again adjusted some of the numbers so that the text and window size will scale the same way that the developer intended... I think. Either way, both scripts appear to work well, and the difference between them does not seem too noticeable... so, take your pick.

Cheers,
Monsie
Attachments
tux_cleaner_gui_rev2.tar.gz
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
Last edited by Monsie on Mon 16 Jan 2012, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#5 Post by ttuuxxx »

the tmp file selector doesn't work right, tmp files are located in /tmp
and what about browser cache? like /root/.mozilla/firefox/hwpe1pbp.default/Cache
it should search /root/.mozilla/ hidden folder and when it finds the seamonkey or firefox folder it should open it up and find the cache folder and delete that.
other than that, this looks promising, It should be added to the desktop TRASH application located at /usr/local/apps/Trash
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Monsie

Tux Cleaner

#6 Post by Monsie »

Hi ttuuxxx,

I need to clear up some misinformation here. I owe everyone an apology for a glaring mistake that I made in my first post when I indicated that one of the functions of Tux Cleaner was to clean up "temporary internet files". That is not the case at all. Tux Cleaner is designed to scan for and clean "temporary files" as you will note in the user interface. So I will be editing my original post as soon as I am finished here. I don't know why I wrote that, except to use the lame excuse that maybe I was having a "senior's moment".

Note that Tux Cleaner is really designed for the command line, and as such, when I use the dialog based script, I can navigate to the /tmp directory. However, I haven't figured out a way to do so when using the xdialog based script... I don't think there is a way, but then the developer did not design this utility with xdialog in mind. Also, it is not clear to me what directories this program searches through automatically. One would think that this utility would search a tmp folder by default when it looks for old, marked files, and very likely it does... but this is a good question that I will put to the developer.

Again, this little utility is not anywhere near the same league as Bleachbit, or even Cruft, the command based tool. I am hoping to find that this utility will at least do what it says it will do, and if it does, then maybe we can agree that it is useful enough to keep it rather than assigning it to the trash bin.

Cheers,
Monsie

Monsie

Tux Cleaner

#7 Post by Monsie »

Hi everyone,

Here is an update to my last post in which I indicated that I would contact the developer of Tux Cleaner. I did so by e-mail and he replied this evening (my time).

The jist of what he is saying is that the program is designed to search for files marked wiith a tilde ~ because those will be old copies of newer files. While the program doesn't search tmp folders by default, you can enter the path to any such directory by the command line.

For those who are interested, I saved the e-mail message and have submitted it as an attachment. It sounds like he plans on further development of this program in a few weeks once he has finished exams from his course of studies.

Note: I just figured out that files with e-mail extensions are not allowed to be uploaded, so I archived the message to submit the attachment. I hope this is appropriate and not in violation of forum policy. I indicated to the developer that I wished to share what info he gave me with the Puppy Linux forum, (as you will see in the message) so I don't believe I am breeching confidentiality.

Cheers,
Monsie
Attachments
Tux Cleaner v0.3.eml.tar.gz
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 359 times

Infosoft

#8 Post by Infosoft »

2 exams left 8)

This was my third bash script (I wrote it to get bonus points for my studies) and I though it might be useful, so that's why I uploaded it to sourceforge.net (second was IRC client written in bash, but it's not uploaded anywhere).

The title "Temporary files cleaner" is inappropriate, but I couldn't think proper title when I was writing the script. Besides, later I'll include /tmp cleaning.

I know about xdialog, zenity, kdialog, however I prefer to use dialog (terminal is not my enemy :D ).

4th function will be packages cleaner (removing unneeded packages, cleaning packages cache, deleting old config files (only dpkg supported; by "old config files" I mean config files which are left after you remove a package)).

5th function will be search for duplicates.

Monsie

Tux Cleaner

#9 Post by Monsie »

Hi Infosoft,

Welcome to Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :!:

I think it is very cool that you have decided to join the Puppy Community. 8) As a new developer, I think you will find lots of ways to get involved and help out if you so choose. The Puppy forum has been described as a very "active and vibrant" community of users, teachers, developers, packagers, etcetera who are genuinely interested in helping out to make using Puppy Linux a wonderful experience. There are a lot of members who (regardless of their status) are seasoned veterans in my opinion, and who could be looked on to give some solid advice from time to time. While any group has its share of ups and downs, I have found for the most part that the Puppy Community is very positive in its outlook and approach to helping each other. Overall, it is a very interesting place to share ideas and to solve wonderful problems with using Puppy Linux in particular and with using a computer in general.

Anyway, enough said for now as this is not the thread for such a discussion, but I might e-mail you again with some specific suggestions and friendly advice on how you might want to get involved in the Puppy Community.

I look forward to any new features that you may build into Tux Cleaner in the future. You can re-open this topic at any time to advise the Community of updates to your program.

Cheers,
Monsie

Infosoft

#10 Post by Infosoft »

v0.4 released.
Report if something doesn't work, craches or etc.

Till 25th of January I won't have enough time because of studying for exams :)

Even tough this script has only few functions, I hope someone will find it useful :roll:
Attachments
Tux_Cleaner_v0.4.zip
(18.25 KiB) Downloaded 373 times

Monsie

Tux Cleaner

#11 Post by Monsie »

Hi Infosoft,

I downloaded your latest version yesterday, but did not test it until today.

Unfortunately, I cannot get this version to run. It appears to be crashing because the terminal shuts down as soon as I execute the script. I have tried the script with the various options as listed in your readme file, but the result is the same.

I have not tried downloading your program from SourceForge to see if maybe there is any difference in the file that you uploaded there, so I might give that a try also.

Nobody else on the Puppy forum is reporting any problems with the program although I notice only a total of four downloads so far... It would be helpful if someone who has tried this update can confirm whether it works for them or not.... thanks.

In any event, if you read this post soon, please do not concern yourself with it until after you finish your exams and studies. There is absolutely no need or rush to look at this problem right now, so no worries...

Cheers,
Monsie

Infosoft

#12 Post by Infosoft »

Don't worry about me :)

The script works in Ubuntu and Fedora. Try removing --scrollbar from file. Old versions of package "dialog" doesn't support this option.

I though about installing Racy Puppy in VirtualBox and testing everything myself. Later you can expect full support for your small minimalistic OS :roll:

The only difference from v0.3 is function "Execute all functions". Also, I improved thumbnails cleaner. Since I don't delete folders stored in /home/user/.thumbnails/, only png files, v0.3 shows username even if he has no thumbnails (but directories occupies some space...). v0.4 doesn't show those users.

Packages cleaner will be next function.

vovchik

#13 Post by vovchik »

This worked for me:

Code: Select all

#[ -d /usr/home ] && DEFAULT_HOME_DIR="/usr/home"
#[ -d /home ] && DEFAULT_HOME_DIR="/home"
DEFAULT_HOME_DIR="$HOME"
With kind regards,
vovchik

Infosoft

#14 Post by Infosoft »

vovchik wrote:This worked for me:

#[ -d /usr/home ] && DEFAULT_HOME_DIR="/usr/home"
#[ -d /home ] && DEFAULT_HOME_DIR="/home"
DEFAULT_HOME_DIR="$HOME"
With kind regards,
vovchik
echo $HOME would print /home/username
I need it to be either /home or /usr/home (othervise Thumbnails cleaner won't work the way it should)

I found a mini bug in my syntax :)

Keep in mind that I wrote this script for my personal use and now it has only few functions, so it looks "shitty" compared to standard cleaners :D
Attachments
Tux_Cleaner_v0.4_FIXED.zip
(18.25 KiB) Downloaded 428 times

vovchik

#15 Post by vovchik »

Dear Infosoft,

As Puppy traditionally runs from root, $HOME is nearly always:

HOME=/root
With kind regards,
vovchik

Infosoft

#16 Post by Infosoft »

vovchik wrote:Dear Infosoft,

As Puppy traditionally runs from root, $HOME is nearly always:

HOME=/root
With kind regards,
vovchik
Thanks for the info. I don't use Puppy Linux so I didn't know that.

musher0

#17 Post by musher0 »

Actually, $HOME and $home are two different things in PuppyLinux.

$HOME=/root, while $home="the drive your pupsave file is on" (may be /mnt/sda1 (ex. of hard drive) , /mnt/sdf3 (ex. of usb drive), or whatever.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Monsie

Tux Cleaner

#18 Post by Monsie »

Thanks for the fix, vovchik. I had to add it to the latest update from Infosoft. I did:

[ -d /usr/home ] && DEFAULT_HOME_DIR="/usr/home"
[ -d /home ] && DEFAULT_HOME_DIR="/home"
 DEFAULT_HOME_DIR="/root"
but now that I think about it, I am thinking that my syntax would be relevant to Puppy only, whereas your syntax would pertain to any distro? If so, then your syntax would work better for Infosoft since he is testing his program on Ubuntu and maybe a few other distros.

Infosoft, I agree with your thinking that it would be a good idea to run Racy in a virtual machine or even on a usb flash drive so that you can get the hang of Puppy and get up to speed...

Cheers,
Monsie