Gnewpet - makes pets from installed packages

Miscellaneous tools
pemasu

#46 Post by pemasu »

When Thunor started to develop gtkdialog...01micko announced that he will support gtkdialog4. In slacko gtkdialog is symlink to gtkdialog4. I have done so also with dpup exprimo. Lucid Puppy follows its own decision and so does Barry Kauler. Lucid Puppy woof base is 2 years old now. Woof2 provides now gtkdialog4 compliant scripts to the base sfs.

01micko`s reasoning was that those non-compliant older gtkdialog apps should be picked and author should fix them. Most actively supported gtkdialog apps have been updated.

Here is the nice script by 01micko to download gtkdialog source....compile it and get ready made stuff in /tmp folder. I have used that script created latest gtkdialog version.
Remove the phony .gz and give it executable permissions.
Attachments
update-gtkdialog.gz
(503 Bytes) Downloaded 795 times

Scooby

is pferences included?

#47 Post by Scooby »

Say I wanted to make a pet with my personal preferences
Is this possible?

Is configuration files included in generated pet?

If not do you know any other way to accomlish this?

RSH

Re: is pferences included?

#48 Post by RSH »

Scooby wrote:Say I wanted to make a pet with my personal preferences
Is this possible?

If you do re-create a .pet of installed files, the .pet contains the currently settings of this application.

To make a .pet out of other files i would recommend the backup-settings:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 348#614348

Using gnewpet and backup-settings together will make almost of what you want.

I do use both as a special team - that's why i include a run option for gnewpet inside the backup-settings.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

jpeps

Re: is pferences included?

#49 Post by jpeps »

Scooby wrote:Say I wanted to make a pet with my personal preferences
Is this possible?

If config files are not in the initial file list, you can add them manually by checking save directory.

lulrich

#50 Post by lulrich »

HI,
Could someone explain to me how to create a pet with gnupet for gnucash,?
here is my problem, I am not able at this point to connect to the internet with my personal laptop and I need to install gnucash to it, so I downloaded gnewpet onto a flash-drive on another computer and installed it to my laptop, I did the same with gnucash, downloaded it to flash drive and extracted it inside the root folder on my laptop and then tried to create a pet but wasn´t able to, is this possible to do or am I trying to do something that can´t be done :roll:
thank you, I have a lot to learn yet

jpeps

#51 Post by jpeps »

lulrich wrote:HI,
Could someone explain to me how to create a pet with gnupet for gnucash,?
here is my problem, I am not able at this point to connect to the internet with my personal laptop and I need to install gnucash to it, so I downloaded gnewpet onto a flash-drive on another computer and installed it to my laptop, I did the same with gnucash, downloaded it to flash drive and extracted it inside the root folder on my laptop and then tried to create a pet but wasn´t able to, is this possible to do or am I trying to do something that can´t be done :roll:
thank you, I have a lot to learn yet
Both gnewpet and gnucash should be listed in the dropdown User List if they were installed correctly (they should also be listed in /root/.packages).

Geoffrey

#52 Post by Geoffrey »

lulrich wrote: I downloaded gnewpet onto a flash-drive on another computer and installed it to my laptop, I did the same with gnucash, downloaded it to flash drive and extracted it inside the root folder on my laptop and then tried to create a pet but wasn´t able to
Why did you extract gnucash, if it was a pet package, or is it the source code that you are trying to make into a pet?

lulrich

#53 Post by lulrich »

I´m not sure what you mean by source code, but when I downloaded Gnucash it showed it on my flashdrive as files and not as a pet,
Is it a pet? that would make it simple, all I want is to be able to use gnucash on my personal computer which at this time I am not able to connect to the internet with it,
thanks a lot

jpeps

#54 Post by jpeps »

Downloaded source code has to be compiled, then made into a pet. You can use gnewpet to grab it from any puppy distro that already includes it as a built-in. You can also install it from the PPM (puppy repository), and then use gnewpet to grab it as a user-installed package.

lulrich

#55 Post by lulrich »

good news!
I found it as a pet, downloaded it, put it over and bingo!
thanks a lot guys

RSH

#56 Post by RSH »

Hi.

I did use gnewpet the last few weeks to make the LazY Puppy a little smaller (decreasing its size). By now it is a 114MB ISO.

I find it somewhat inconvenient to open the / tmp directory manually to get the pet each and every time.. So i have refined the LazY Puppy built in gnewpet. It moves now the .pet automatically to /root/GNewPet and opens up the directory after creating the .pet.

Meanwhile i found this my modified version a bit more comfortable.

Just to make sure, not to be attacked again (who remembers the "fixed" script i've had posted in this thread and Flash locks it because of our discussion about that script?), i did wrote a script, to make you able, to get these comfort into your installed gnewpet.

Here is the comfort-patch for gnewpet: 8) :lol:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# gnewpet patch by RSH
# moves created .pet to /root/GNewPet and calls rox to open the directory

#NAME="/tmp/Testdatei"
#pbn=`basename "${NAME}.pet"`
echo ""  >> /usr/local/bin/newpet
echo '#------------------------------------------------------------------------------'  >> /usr/local/bin/newpet
echo '# gnewpet patch by RSH ---> moves created .pet to /root/GNewPet'  >> /usr/local/bin/newpet
echo '#------------------------------------------------------------------------------'  >> /usr/local/bin/newpet
echo 'mkdir /root/GNewPet' >> /usr/local/bin/newpet
echo 'pbn=`basename ${NAME}.pet`'  >> /usr/local/bin/newpet
echo 'mv ${NAME}.pet /root/GNewPet/$pbn'  >> /usr/local/bin/newpet
echo 'rox /root/GNewPet &'  >> /usr/local/bin/newpet
echo 'exit 0'  >> /usr/local/bin/newpet
echo '# End of gnewpet patch by RSH ---> moves created .pet to /root/GNewPet'  >> /usr/local/bin/newpet

exit 0

# End of gnewpet-patch
Create a script file, insert the code into it and execute it. No messages will be seen - works though. :D :lol:

RSH
Last edited by RSH on Tue 11 Sep 2012, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#57 Post by Geoffrey »

RSH,

that makes it easier, thanks
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

RSH

#58 Post by RSH »

Best of all:

If you are running gnewpet on gnewpet after installing the patch, you will have a (g)new pet of gnewpet. Next install ---> no further patch needed... :lol: :lol: :lol:

jpeps

#59 Post by jpeps »

RSH wrote:
Just to make sure, not to be attacked again (who remembers the "fixed" script i've had posted in this thread and Flash locks it because of our discussion about that script?), i did wrote a script, to make you able, to get these comfort into your installed gnewpet.

Here is the comfort-patch for gnewpet: 8) :lol:
Great...now you're flaming Flash. Let's be clear, after I spent considerable time reworking the script to accommodate a feature you seemed to need, you discovered a trivial bug. Instead of reporting the bug, you chose to post a page of my code with the addition of one variable which overrode, rather than fixed the bug. Your consequent chest-beating included letting us all know that your "fix" was the "perfect solution", and needed no further work. You then posted it as your app, with your own version number....letting me know that since I was only the technician, it was rightfully yours. You made such a ruckus that Flash had to shut down the thread.

Feel free to alter the /tmp directory to anyplace you like. I have no idea why something so trivial warrants a special post with a name on it ("comfort patch" ??) and large comments with your name on it in the code. Thanks for continuing to demonstrate the use of bold and color in all your glorious posts.

RSH

#60 Post by RSH »

Hi, jpeps.

Before coming to the point, let me say: i post links in this post because for you. So you can easily reach the threads posts to re-read. It's not intended for other users/readers/members --> please, do not waste your time on that. :roll:

Ok, jpeps. Now to the point. :wink:

No, I'm not flaming Flash --> why should I?.
No, I did not post it as my app (I just posted one of the two scripts and named the changes).
No, I'm not consequently chest-beating --> even though there are some reasons to do so.
No, it was not (only) a (one) feature i seemed to need (it has been a lot of suggestions of mine)
No, I did not made such a ruckus that Flash had to shut down the thread.

As you can see (read), Flash did lock the thread after your post - not after mine. So, to tell the truth: we both made some ruckus.
I'm going to lock this thread for a while in the hope that you two will cool off enough to let this go.

The whole thing has been something like a misunderstanding, because you did not post that you meanwhile had discovered and fixed the bug. Instead you did made an edit of your previous post that has not been noticed by me and so i did post a second post that your script fails and my "fixed" script did work.

Posted: Fri 24 Feb 2012, 06:38 Post subject:
$dir is just the directory name selected in the gui entry box. You're already in that directory, so there's no need to copy with $dir$files. You can't copy files from an SFS that hasn't been mounted.

Oh...I see the bug. /tmp/list has the "/" included.
Last edited by jpeps on Fri 24 Feb 2012, 07:02; edited 1 time in total

My first post - Posted: Fri 24 Feb 2012, 06:50
My second post - Posted: Fri 24 Feb 2012, 07:54

First: I think this, my second post, did hurt somehow the pride of yours (maybe thinking about me as a annoying newbie or something like that)
Second: if you would have made a post instead of editing your previous one, i would have noticed it and would not made my second post and surely did immediately removed the script - as for the reasons i have had listed in the thread here ---> I was willing to remove the script (including my modifications) after you publish your fixed .pet because just to prevent users to destroy the fixed gnewpet by downloading and installing this script. There has been no need to invite me to do that with "NOT" and "REMOVE IT PROMPTLY"

I can see and understand, that it must have been hard to get always new and new and new suggestion from myself - might be giving you the feel to be my personal slave on your application that i want to use and to have this and that and such other features.

Meanwhile i did made some similar experiences in the German forum, working on the LazY Puppy RunScript-Builder etc.pp which has been suggested by a German user especially for his purposes. I did work for about three months on this and did sometimes feel like a real personal slave of this user. Because every time i reached somehow what he wanted, he made some new suggestions ---> making me think: oh my god, who might stop this guy.

So to me it looks like we'd made similar experiences on similar work and did somehow show some similar behavior. And that's alright with me.

But there's a big difference, i see:
2/17/12 Version 5.6 Includes both User installed and Builtin apps.
2/20/12 Version 5.8 Enables updates and name change to Builtin apps.
2/20/12 Version 5.9 Spruced up graphics. Thanks Geoffrey
2/23/12 Version 6.0 Opens wrapper that allows alternative /root directory
2/23/12 Version 6.1 bug fix
2/29/12 Version 6.2 bug fix
3/2/12 Version 6.3.1 bug fix

3/3/12 Version 6.4 Added feature to find the related woof package for a selected builtin. It lets you know if multiple packages are involved, otherwise automatically adds the correct name and pet.spec to the built package.
3/3/12 Version 6.5 Added ability to use woof package names & specs in batch mode (there's a checkbox in batch window).
As you can see, there is not even one notice of RSH because of made suggestions and/or finding bugs etc.pp. Yes, somewhere in a post you did write something like RSH i can see where it could be useful. Thanks. and so, if this all is not worth to be named but sprucing up the graphics is worth to be named, then it is alright with me.

Please don't call me now something like a troll, because it would be an empty phrase which is mostly used by arrogant persons - i don't want to look at you as such a person.

But to show the difference fully and detailed, i want to let you know some facts on the LazY Puppy RunScripts. Suggested by der-schutzhund, a German user and would not be possible without the help from other forum members.
Each and every automatically created RunScript wrote:#!/bin/bash
# This script has been automatically created through SFS-AutoScript by RSH
# Used OS: LazY Puppy 2.0.1 - the smartest dog on the forum (based on lupu528-4)
# Created as: LP2_AbiWord-2.8.6.sfs.abiword.run.sh, on: 2012-08-11
# This is named: LazY Puppy SFS P.L.U.S. - (P)owerful (L)ive (U)ser (S)ystem
# It is the (r)evolutionary next step of the LazY Puppy Main SFS Handling
# Thanks for help and hints to: der-schutzhund, Sunburnt, Bruce B and Stu90
# Thanks to shinobar for introducing the --skip-fixmenus command in sfs_load
# This Script uses: lazy_sfs_load - modified by RSH (original by shinobar)
# 2012-06-08 by Rainer Steffen Hain (RSH @ puppy-linux.org (murga forum))
And if you would run the LazY Puppy 2.0.2 Final build 0.0.2 you would notice in the
Welcome GUI wrote:Of course i did use and get a lot of support, suggestions and help on coding from the members of Puppy-Linux.org Forum. There were: big_bass, Bruce B, der-schutzhund, diggs, don570, emil, greengeek, 10wt3ch, jpeps, Karl Godt, L18L, lobster, minesadorada, nancy reagan, pizzasgood, rhadon, scOttman, seaside, shinobar, stu90, sunburnt, Volhaut, zigbert (i might have overseen a few ones).
That's the difference.

Even the LazY Puppy Logo shows where its been based on:

And:

YES! It is a comfortable patch because it is so to me. And also to all those users (about 100 have read the post since I've posted the comfort-patch) who used it.

I just want to say at the end of this, please be cool (as i try) and be aware of the possibility that your post above and mabe your following reply will be and is made still under the influence of this. I have noticed it but nothing to do with it. :wink:

And as you can see: I am not only able to use bold and color - i can also use emoticons... :lol:

RSH

RSH

#61 Post by RSH »

Hi.

I have used the gnewpet a lot to re-create .pet files from built in applications. Then extracted and searched the content to remove the files from the basic system to make it smaller and smaller. Result is by now a 110 MB LazY Puppy Version (my private OS, not the Web versions). I have reached a state now, where I can not get the OS smaller than 110 MB and so, there is no longer need for me to have the gnewpet still installed in the OS.

So, I did remove the gnewpet from my private Version of LazY Puppy.

But, hey!

I do not post this information here to blame the gnewpet (or something like that). It is still one of the best applications, the forum has to offer.

I will use it in the future again, if needed. And for such events/cases I did made a SFS from gnewpet-6.5 and I will use it in the future from SFS via the LazY Puppy SFS P.L.U.S. (Menu entry to call the RunScript to load gnewpet SFS and run gnewpet is still installed in my LazY Puppy).

I just want to inform anyone about the SFS, which can now be downloaded at the LazY Puppy Repository at smokey01.com.

Repository

GNewPet-6.5.sfs

RSH

jpeps

#62 Post by jpeps »

I don't know that you would want to waste a loop for a 15K script. I use gnewpet frequently to check file content in addition to upgrading apps.

RSH

#63 Post by RSH »

Hi jpeps.

I do use each and every application which is not needed inside my LazY Puppy every day as sfs. Also there are some applications I do use every day and mostly right after X is loaded, but they are also made as sfs. I do have lots of sfs files sized in KB size category.

To use sfs files instead of installing or built in applications is my generally way of thinking "Puppy Linux". That's why the LazY Puppy is the LazY Puppy.

Also I do prefer not to use a save file. I'm running the LazY Puppy at my home workstation to 100% without any save file. LazY Puppy has 64 loops/mount-points for sfs files after boot up. I sometimes run LazY Puppy having up to 50 sfs files loaded. If I do get over the 64 mark, I can increase the mount-points by script or just let this do the sfs_load, which creates automatically a new one, if needed.

Lots of my latest applications are published as .pet and as .sfs. Most of them in KB sizes and the sfs files aren't much less downloaded compared to the pet files.

That's just all. Don't want to hurt anyone, don't intend to make anyone angry or something like that.

To me it's still one of the best applications/tools the forum has to offer. So, putting all differences out of the way: thank you again for that and thanks for having an ear to my suggestions on gnewpet.

RSH

Pelo

from builtin packages ! Gnewpet

#64 Post by Pelo »

from builtin packages ! it's a very good thing.
How-to
video YouTube here
Withdrown because french. French don't use YouTube tutorials. Being translated to.. russian !
Attachments
Gnewpet.png
French spoken
(17.63 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 08:40, edited 3 times in total.

ASRI éducation

#65 Post by ASRI éducation »

gnewpet really is a great utility, thank you jpeps!
Regards
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]