Puppy a la carte: package management; installing Icewm

Booting, installing, newbie
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

there is not much difference between icewm 1.2.20 and 1.2.21 ... http://www.icewm.org/changes.php

#17 Post by Guest »

I just whipped up a test script that could be used for selecting the script during pinstall.sh:

Code: Select all

# ./selectTheme.sh 
The following icewm themes are available. It is not recommended that
you install more than one theme on the liveCD since they will sit in
the ramdrive taking space even though they are not used.
Enter the number of the theme you want to install: 3
0) All Themes (you will be prompted for a default)
1) 4Colors-Blue size=40.0k
2) Brushed-Metal        size=528.0k
3) IceKeramik   size=248.0k
4) puppy-xp     size=344.0k
Wich theme do you want to install: 3
Removing 4Colors-Blue theme
Removing Brushed-Metal theme
Making IceKeramik the default theme
Removing puppy-xp theme
# 
The script automatically detects the themes installed in packages/icewm so you could have as many themes as you want in the unleashed, or even have a script that you can run before createpuppy that would extract a theme from a dotpup and put it in the packages/icewm directory.

what do you think of doing something like that? I kind of hate to create more prompts during the build process, but when you see the size of the schemes, it would be a lot of wasted space to include more than one. At least you wouldn't be prompted if there was only one theme present.

The way I originally wanted to do it was to add a theme unleashed package for each theme and only include the tiny 4 color theme as part of the icewm package. I'm just worried people are going to forget to add a theme and think it looks bad.

I know you can always add dotpups later, but I'm still looking at puppy as a portable distro that may not use a pup001 file at all so may not be able to use DotPups

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#18 Post by GuestToo »

there's lot's of ways to do it ... i didn't think of doing it that way ... i think there should be at least one theme which allows the user to choose small, medium, or large fonts

i don't know why Icewm 1.2.21 puts a lot of "destroy window" messages in xerrs.txt ... i think it might be a debug message that wasn't removed ... so i commented the line and recompiled Icewm ... i haven't noticed any problems other than the "destroy" messages

papaschtroumpf

#19 Post by papaschtroumpf »

GuestToo wrote: ... i think there should be at least one theme which allows the user to choose small, medium, or large fonts
Good idea
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

papaschtroumpf

#20 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I'm having a problem with my attempt at making an icewm Unleashed package: if I remaster a liveCD with icewm as the default WM, it boots, properly, starts X, I see the wizard asking me to choose a resolution for a fraction of a second (because I deleted the pup001 file for this experiment) then it aborts back to the command line.

I can start fvwm95 by doing startx fvwm95

The interesting part is that once I have started fvwm95 once, I can choose IceWM from the menu and it works just fine, same if I go back to the console then type "startx icewm".

any idea what is "special" about the first time you boot puppy that would cause it to fail launching icewm? is the Xvesa wizard looking for an fvwm95 file that doesn't exist or something like that?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#21 Post by GuestToo »

are you absolutely sure that /etc/windowmanager is ok? ... is pointing at a file that doesn't exist? ... is there more than one line of text in the file? ... does the file exist at all? ... does it point to icewm-session or icewm-session2? (icewm-session is a binary file that comes with icewm ... icewm-session2 is a script i wrote that does about the same thing)

if /etc/windowmanager is the problem, then if you boot with no pup001 file, then X won't start ... if you look at /etc/windowmanager now, without starting fvwm95, you can see 1) if the file exists and 2) what is in the file ... if you type startx icewm-session2 and it starts X ok, it might be something wrong with /etc/windowmanager that's causing the problem

my .xinitrc file looks like this:

CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM
[ -x $CURRENTWM ] && exec $CURRENTWM
exec fvwm95

this starts fvwm95 if whatever is in $CURRENTWM does not work

if it isn't /etc/windowmanager, i don't know what the problem is ... i've remastered Puppy without the fvwm95 and jwm packages and didn't seem to have this problem ... also, all you need to start icewm is to run the icewm binary ... it will start without any other files, it doesn't even need the config files, it's very forgiving

papaschtroumpf

#22 Post by papaschtroumpf »

Thanks GuestToo, the contents of my windows manager file was:
icewm-sessiols -ln2

I guess I must have had the focus on the wrong window at some point and messed it up without realizing it (I never bothered changing the focus model in fvwm95 but I'm definitely not used to it). :oops:

Will remaster my CD again.

EDIT: still not working, I can't start it with "startx icewm-session2" either, at least I know where to start looking. So far I have confirm that it runs icewm-session2 which in turn starts icewm

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#23 Post by GuestToo »

i think /etc/windowmanager needs to have one line in it, with no carriage returns

what i do, is start X by typing startx icewm-session ... so i know it works ok ... then copy /etc/windowmanager to my Unleashed package

you can run X as user "spot"
spot can't write to /etc/windowmanager, so if Puppy runs as spot instead of root, it probably should use $HOME/.windowmanager instead of /etc/windowmanager

i found it runs pretty good as spot ... but i couldn't get rxvt (or aterm) to run ... i think i tried stuff like xhost + ... i noticed in the mrxvt docs that it says an xterm binary might need to be setuid root to run ... i don't think i tried that ... i'll try it when i get the time, maybe it will work ... i know you have to setuid for tinylogin if you want to su to root from spot

papaschtroumpf

#24 Post by papaschtroumpf »

I wonder if it is a problem with resolution.

when X first comes up it chooses mode 0x111 (640x480x16) and crashes back the command prompt.
I can then run startx fvwm95 and it runs but without icons or background.
if I log back out and try startx icewm-session2 it crashes back to the command prompt also
I then startx fvm95 again and change to 800x600x16 (mode 0x0114) and it looks good (desktop icons, menus...)
if I log back out and try startx icewm-session2 it works just fine.

Is there something that prevents icewm from starting at 680x480x16? (mode 0x0111)

EDIT: if from icewm I try to change the resolution back to 640x480 usingthe Xvesa Wizard it crashes back to the command prompt after changing the resolution!

papaschtroumpf

#25 Post by papaschtroumpf »

Damn! Everything works fine if I change startx to attempt 800x600x16 as the "lowest" video mode!!!!

GuestToo, I haven't compiled icewm, I just grabbed the version out of your 1.2.20 dotpup. Do you know if there was a compile option for minimal supported videomode? I'll try and find your 1.2.21 version and see if it works .

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#26 Post by GuestToo »

yes, i found that icewm does not like 640x480 when i was trying to get Xfree86 to work ... X starts 640x480, icewm will not run

i don't know why ... it may be xft support or imlib support that's the problem

for icewm-full, i compiled it with just about everything but xinerama support

i did have an icewm lite version somewhere ... it doesn't support menu icons

this is how i configured 1.2.21 ...
./configure --enable-antialiasing --disable-xinerama --with-imlib

maybe disabling support for something will let it run at 640x480 ... but it won't be as pretty

this is a problem that a dotpup install usually doesn't have

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#27 Post by GuestToo »

i uploaded the Icewm 1.2.21 binaries i was experimenting with, if you (or anyone) want to try them

i don't think they will run at 640x480 either (i haven't tried it)

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... &start=142

papaschtroumpf

#28 Post by papaschtroumpf »

for some reason thedesktop is still the Seagull one when I boot into IceWM or change desktop theme. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to fix it?
Thanks

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#29 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy saves the background settings in /etc/background

i have a slightly different wallpaper program, that saves the settings in /etc/background2

icewm has it's own background settter program ... icewmbg

if you start icewm using icewm-session2, it loads icewmbg, and the backgrounds will be set from the preferences file, or the icewm theme you are using

if icewm is controlling the background, /etc/background will not work, and the background setting programs in the menu will not work

i use icewm, but i don't use icewmbg, so i have no problems ... i set my window manager by typing startx icewm so icewmbg does not run

if you want to set the background for icewmbg, you need to edit the icewm preferences file, or the theme file

Pizzasgood included a hacked version of my wallpaper setter on his pizzapup iso, i think, that appends a line to the icewm preferences file