Install Virtualbox Guest Additions in any Puppy Linux

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
shadower_sc

Install Virtualbox Guest Additions in any Puppy Linux

#1 Post by shadower_sc »

Download the VBox Guest Additions CD image
Step #1Check Virtualbox version. Open the Help Menu and click "About Virtualbox ..." and your Virtualbox Version will be shown at the bottom of the pop-up box.
Step #2 Open the following link http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
Step #3 Click on the link that matches your version of virtualbox.
(I have the version 4.3.12 of Virtualbox, so I would click on the "4.3.12" link/folder.)
Step #4 Download the cd image by clicking on the VboxGuestAdditions xyz.iso where xyz matches your version of Virtualbox.
(In my case the file was called "VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.12.iso")
You should now the correct guest additions cd image, but you are not done yet.

Install the Virtualbox Guest Additions
Step #1 Open the File Manager.
Step #2 Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the VBoxGuestAdditions xyz.iso file.
Step #3 Mount the VBoxGuestAdditions xyz.iso file by clicking on it.
Step #4 Click on the "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" file in the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file that you mounted.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

This probably won't work in all versions of Puppy. Which version of Puppy are you using?

shadower_sc

Oops. XD

#3 Post by shadower_sc »

Ahh..., I was operating under the faulty assumption that the Virtualbox Guest Additions Package that is available in the package manager for Precise Puppy Linux 5.4.3 was just downloading the iso.

When I try installing from the latest iso I get the following error: "Unable to determine correct library path"

When I try installing from the same version iso that the Precise Puppy 5.4.3 package manager "installs", I get several errors. Mostly involving me not having any development tools installed, such as make, gcc, etc.

maltese101

Solution?

#4 Post by maltese101 »

I have the same problem with Virtualbox 4.3.28 and Precise 5.7.1. If I use the package manager that comes with Precise (which tries to load an older guest additions package), I get make/gcc errors. If I download the guest additions for 4.3.28 then I get the "Unable to determine correct library path" error.

I know this thread is a year old, but is there now an easy way to install the correct guest additions for a newer Puppy Linux guest? The erratic mouse issue is driving me nuts.

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Have you tried from within Virtualbox?
I thought it was a menu option of the package.

The guest additions are for the Virtual Machine NOT the OS you are running VB under.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

maltese101

#6 Post by maltese101 »

Yes, these instructions were both for installing in VB with Puppy Linux as the Guest system. Neither method seems to work with later Puppy releases and/or later VB releases. I can mount either the older VBGuestAdditions.iso or the newer downloaded one that matches my VB, VBGuestAdditions_4.3.28.iso but both produce the same errors as the OP found when I try to follow his directions in this thread.

Philh

#7 Post by Philh »

The guest needs both the devx.sfs and kernel-src.sfs for that puppy installed before the guest additions will run correctly

maltese101

#8 Post by maltese101 »

Philh, thanks for the tip. I'll probably look at this another time when I have free time to kill. I've switched to Linux Mint for now, and the installation of the VB Guest Additions was a snap. I actually don't even remember doing it, it was so simple.