Tipp10! - Touch typing tutorial

Programs intended to teach, or to help one learn or study a specific subject - this includes educational games.
Mike Walsh

Tipp10! - Touch typing tutorial

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

I came across this one a few weeks ago. Tuxtoo shared it with me, when we were trying out Zoom for the first time. I made it up into a .pet package the same night, and meant to share it with y'all, but one thing came up, followed by another, and it got pushed to the back of my mind, and....well; I'm sure you know how that goes.....

Tipp10! is a touch typing tuition app.....and, as such things go, for the size of it, and the sheer amount of tuition it packs in (along with quite a neat GUI), it's worth taking a look at. I've been meaning to improve my "fast, 4-finger" typing skills for some time; as such, I keep plugging away at it in my spare moments, though I'm sorry to say I think I'm stuck in my ways, and keep 'back-sliding' into my old habits..!

Be that as it may, for anyone who wants to teach themselves to touch-type from scratch (or simply to brush-up on their existing skills), I can thoroughly recommend it. The perceived 'lack of progress' isn't due to the app at all, which is very easy to follow.....it's all my own fault.

I may get there.....ONE day..!

It's a 32-bit package, but runs fine in the 64-bit Puppies if you've got the 32-bit_compat_libs SFS loaded. If anyone's interested in it, you can find it here, at my Google Drive:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fOxjnr ... sp=sharing

Credits to tuxtoo for the discovery.....and for sharing.

Have fun!

Mike. :wink:

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

Mike wrote:I've been meaning to improve my "fast, 4-finger" typing skills for some time; as such, I keep plugging away at it in my spare moments, though I'm sorry to say I think I'm stuck in my ways, and keep 'back-sliding' into my old habits..!

Haha, Mike, you describe exactly what I have been doing since my first keyboard! :lol:

'Touch' must be overrated, I feel that I write surprisingly fast with the 4, plus the left pinky on Ctrl. :D
Have fun!

Every day, mate!
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

tallboy wrote:
Mike wrote:I've been meaning to improve my "fast, 4-finger" typing skills for some time; as such, I keep plugging away at it in my spare moments, though I'm sorry to say I think I'm stuck in my ways, and keep 'back-sliding' into my old habits..!

Haha, Mike, you describe exactly what I have been doing since my first keyboard! :lol:

'Touch' must be overrated, I feel that I write surprisingly fast with the 4, plus the left pinky on Ctrl. :D
Have fun!

Every day, mate!
Hi, Olaf.

Ya, I think I'm backing a loser here. Not the app itself, which is great....but my own ambitions. :roll:

I've always had a strange way of typing. I watch what my fingers are doing, most of the time, and only occasionally look up at the screen. But I can type for a couple of minutes at a time; I rarely make mistakes, even when going quite fast, because I can remember, and picture in my head, exactly what's appearing on the screen.

Without even looking at it..... How weird is that?

I'd be curious to know just how others type! Touch typing is very much the exception, rather than the rule, when it comes to the vast majority of home users.....so the results of such a 'survey' could be quite revealing.

keniv

#4 Post by keniv »

Well I've installed it in a slightly updated version of Racy 5.5.1 on a very old Toshiba laptop and it appears to work OK. My typing ,like my laptop, is very slow and I've never tried to touch type. However, in lockdown just now so I thought I'd give it a try. I think I'm probably to old to learn to type any better than I do now but you never know.

Regards,

Ken..

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

keniv wrote:Well I've installed it in a slightly updated version of Racy 5.5.1 on a very old Toshiba laptop and it appears to work OK. My typing ,like my laptop, is very slow and I've never tried to touch type. However, in lockdown just now so I thought I'd give it a try. I think I'm probably to old to learn to type any better than I do now but you never know.

Regards,

Ken..
Hiya, Ken.

Oh, I think we're all of us in pretty much the same boat, aren't we? Twiddling our thumbs, and trying to find things to keep ourselves occupied while the "lockdown" is continuing. This is just one of those things; it's summat you can do 'as & when', and of course you can take it entirely at your own pace.....so I thought, "Hell; why not?" :D

It's useful; it's educational.....and you could end up adding another string to your bow.

(See how you get on with it. You never know, mate; you might just surprise yourself..!) :shock: :lol: