(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Sep 2020, 00:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Chameleon Puppy - to install almost any package format
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
zomzilla

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb 2012, 15:15    Post subject:  

Well usually it's a dep of a program that glibc be above a certain version

Ie most arch packages require glibc to be later than 2.5 I believe

(puppy is 2.2Cool
disciple

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb 2012, 01:04    Post subject:  

Quote:
and you'd be shocked perhaps to see how few to no errors I would have in my /tmp/xerrs.log!

Not really shocked - people talk about "dependency hell" on Linux, but I wonder if it isn't mostly urban legend Smile

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
Eyes-Only

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb 2012, 06:51    Post subject:  

Exactly disciple! Urban legend is the perfect description of it! Very Happy Oh sure! I have no doubt that "In the beginning..." ( should we adhere closely to the "Unix Bible" here LOL! ) there truly was such a thing as a "dependency hell". But as we've split down through the past 20+ years into hundreds - if not thousands! - of differing distros ( counting those which have been discarded and abandoned of course ) I think this has actually caused to smoothen us out in such a way that we've managed to more-or-less bring our versions of glibc compilers, gtk/qt GUI building structure, and whatnot, closer in line together so that those days of such dependency hell are fewer and farther between.

I've even seen more and more websites simply offering the sole binary blob of their programme(s) for download without the customary "Download this one if using Debian... or this one if using Mandriva..." To me that says a lot right there! Smile

Zom & Nooby: I can't think right offhand about either of your questions - sorry my friends! I've basically just used the newest Puppy at that time and for the most part haven't had much problem when playing "mix n' match". If there was a programme I needed I used it.

Of course what helped me a lot when doing this: At the time I usually had two or three drives each with either a Linux Mint, Mandriva, Debian, Parsix, Vector Linux - and I think you get the picture here? - install, so if I needed the necessary libs I could just grab what I wanted from wherever I wanted. I really cheated and was really lucky according to conventional theory. LOL!

Good luck Zom!/Bonne Chance!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Page 2 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: