apcupsd-3.14.9

Miscellaneous tools
Dingo

apcupsd-3.14.9

#1 Post by Dingo »

*apcupsd-3.14.9* compiled in *Puppy 3.01*
- http://www.dokupuppylinux.co.cc/programs:ups
Apcupsd a daemon for controlling APC UPSes

Apcupsd can be used for power mangement and controlling most of APC's UPS models on Unix and Windows machines. Apcupsd works with most of APC's Smart-UPS models as well as most simple signalling models such a Back-UPS, and BackUPS-Office. During a power failure, apcupsd will inform the users about the power failure and that a shutdown may occur. If power is not restored, a system shutdown will follow when the battery is exhausted, a timeout (seconds) expires, or runtime expires based on internal APC calculations determined by power consumption rates. Apcupsd is licensed under the GPL version 2.

Apcupsd Releases Stable: 3.14.9 (22 July 2011) [ Source ] [ Windows ] Release 3.14.9 brings a number of new features including…

* SNMP enhancements inclduing support for MGE and RFC1628 MIBs
* Support for USB on 64-bit Windows platforms: Please see the ReleaseNotes for details.

Apcupsd 3.14.9 is the latest stable release, containing many bug fixes and new features over previous releases. Users of all previous versions are encouraged to upgrade.

New Features in the 3.14.x series:

* USB support for new platforms: Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris 10
* Native Windows port
* Improved tray icon support on Win32 (monitor multiple remote instances)
* Menubar monitoring application for Mac OS X (apcagent)
* PowerChute Network Shutdown driver
* Rewritten SNMP driver with no SNMP library dependencies
* GAPCMON GUI monitoring tool
* Unreliable MASTER/SLAVE networking mode is removed
* New configuration directives to set paths at runtime
* New configuration directive to set UPS polling interval (POLLTIME)
* New Makefiles supporting dependencies and parallel build
* Updated documentation
* Support for the QNX operating system
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

ahoppin

#2 Post by ahoppin »

Thanks for making this pet available, but I'm sorry to say that it didn't work with my usb APC ups (Backups ES 500) and LuPu 525. The error message apcupsd produces suggests that usb support isn't compiled in.

I was considering building from source, but the Ubuntu repository came to the rescue. Both the apcupsd for Lucid Lynx (3.14.6) and the one for Precise Pangolin (3.14.10) installed. These are actually Debian builds, according to their log output. Both seem to work fine, though I haven't given them an exhaustive workout.

The 3.14.10 version is easier to install as it doesn't require any additional libraries on my system, whereas 3.14.6 required libsnmp. Note that I have the development sfs (compiler) installed, which you might need if you don't already have it.

Hope this helps someone.

ahoppin

#3 Post by ahoppin »

There are a few minor changes you need to make in order to use apcupsd for Precise Pangolin Ubuntu with Lucid Puppy. This works for 525 and probably for 528, and maybe for various other Puppy versions. It should also work with any recent generic version of apcupsd, possibly with a few slight adjustments.

Note that if you install an update to apcupsd some time in future, you will have to apply these changes again.

What this does:

1. It adds approximate equivalents to two standard Linux commands that are missing in Puppy.

2. It sets up Puppy to start the UPS daemon when it boots. The Ubuntu installer tries to do this, but fails because Puppy's startup scripts are different from Ubuntu's.

Follow these steps:

Download the attached file apcupsdmods.zip and save it to /tmp.

In a console window, issue these commands:

cd /tmp
xarchive apcupsdmods.zip

In xarchive, select the two files, wall and pshutdown, and click the Extract button. Exit Xarchive.

Now, type these commands:

chmod ugo+x wall pshutdown
mv wall pshutdown /sbin
cd /etc/apcupsd

Next, you need to edit the file /etc/apcupsd/apccontrol.

From a console window, issue the commands

cd /etc/apcupsd
geany apccontrol

go to line 23 (or pretty close to that). It's the line that reads
SHUTDOWN=/sbin/shutdown

Edit that line so that it reads
SHUTDOWN=/sbin/pshutdown

Save the file.

Now edit the system startup script. Issue this command from your console window:

geany /etc/rc.d/rc.local

At or near the bottom of this file (the exact position isn't very important) add this line

apcupsd

Save the file.

That's it. You're done. Next time you boot your computer, you should see a message telling you that apcupsd started successfully. When you shut it down, you'll see another couple of lines saying that apcupsd exited.
Attachments
apcupsdmods.zip
(883 Bytes) Downloaded 210 times