JWM and newer Puppies

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
oui

#16 Post by oui »

I am sorry Musher but I can certify to you that medical dissertation to obtain a valid Doctor grade of medicine are extremely rarely of the type of simple letters and texts :lol:

the dissertation we did have to check was a terrible complex text with all possible embedded sheets and medical pictures (having to be rendered in the right quality!). Recent Open Office and Libre Office versions did crash or show an absolutely unordered text

calligra did render about the same text as in Microsoft-Word for Apple (as medical people often prefer Apple :roll: ). only a few fonts size in the sheets did have to be readapted...

same thing with texts containing a lot of embedded high resolution pictures. calligra 2.4.3 (the actual version in SID, I don't use yet the 2.5 RC as it is a big thing to compile and it is not available as binary) shows the texts about correctly and fast and includes pictures (very) faster than OO or LO (certainly it is also dependent of the power of PC, but the Puppy world is not exactly the right customer people for high performance PC's...) and manage the resizing etc. of the picture really a lot faster than OO or LO.

an Calligra is MODULAR: you don't need to install all the suite if you only use 1 part oft it and it is enough for you!

concerning JWM:

as Puppy (and Debian) configures JWM automatic, I think the argument of complexity is not real

and it is only apparent:

the problem is that the automatic way of management of the text of .jwmrc don't take care of the readability of the text for humans! and, as poor human, it is usual to forget a final command or include new command at a wrong place. if you write this file in structured form with the human discernment, the job would be really more easy and more performant.

JWM offers you a lot of function built-in in only under 200 kb squashed and a lot of stuff is only used a little. we did all discover with great surprise in Puppy Xtreme an automatic hidden and dynamic task bar at the left side, the usual writting beginning side for occidental people, of the screen! etc... JWM can show a backgroung picture without the help of an external application like feh etc. all that is included in those only under 200 kb !

the expanded ab. 300 kb are good for the use of the random memory on old or cheap PC's!

you can easily start a starting job with JWM like «setxkbmap -layout us -variant intl»
or «setxkbmap -layout ch -variant de» if you don't find you keyboard in the usual Puppy choices... you can automatic open all an working environment at each new start:

Code: Select all

<StartupCommand>
  setxkbmap -layout us -variant intl &
  skype &
  ayttm &
  seamonkey &
  grun &
</StartupCommand>
and always find at starting point all your goodies!

you can add/manage own icons directories and more easily in the .jwmrc!

I can't understand why the very negative opinion about this little wonder of programmer performance as little is really very important in Puppy!